MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to go for a ride this morning got to the top of the Mountain and the back wheel felt strange. So I gave it a shack and it was moving the rear ball bearing race has collapsed So I have spent the afternoon pulling the hub and bearings out which is far easier than I had antisapated. I found that the ball race is plastic inside is this why they self destruct, I would imagine that there would be a lot of heat generated from the Brake disc which is mounted next to bearings on the axle.
I hope this lucky streak ends soon:lightning

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I doubt its the brake heat thats caused the bearings to fail though. I rarely use my rear brake and my bearings went too, lots of threads on rear hub bearing failures here I'm afraid if you want to check them out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its amazing how the Japanese can make thier bikes wheel bearings last
50000+
The ball bearing race in our rear wheels look inherently weak Has anyone ever tride an alternative

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I had the same problems + some mate(we all have),welcome to the world of the mv:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thankyou

I had a look and have found Bearings localy using part numbers from the thread and I hope I am getting the Ball bearings with a metal race not plastic like the original one. It looks as if it just fell apart and there is some signs of heating.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Lorne910: 1. How many Km on the rear hub? 2. How many Km since hub was last disassembled and lubricated?

Thanks,
Dick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lorne910: 1. How many Km on the rear hub? 2. How many Km since hub was last disassembled and lubricated?

Thanks,
Dick
It has under 11000km and as far as I know was due for hub maint at 12000km but the bike is over 3 years old I got it with 2000km on the clock 18 months ago but it was out of waranty then.
the roller bearing looked great the ball bearings fell out the plastic bits had come apart and it did seem very dry.

·
Registered
363 Posts
chain slack

Was the chain recently adjusted? They do not like to be to tight, better to the lose side.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always keep the chain slightly looser than recomended

People always ask if the chain is to loose as it flops around quite a bit but I set it at its tightest point to be slightly looser than standard. The other thing is that you would think if it was the chain tension that caused it it would affect the bearing on the chain side of the hub and that it would be hard to transfer the shock loading to the ball bearing through the needle roller bearing. The needle roller was still in perfect condition.

·
Registered
363 Posts
People always ask if the chain is to loose as it flops around quite a bit but I set it at its tightest point to be slightly looser than standard. The other thing is that you would think if it was the chain tension that caused it it would affect the bearing on the chain side of the hub and that it would be hard to transfer the shock loading to the ball bearing through the needle roller bearing. The needle roller was still in perfect condition.
Ok Just checking:stickpoke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts