MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone removed the lambda sensor on a newer Brutale (mine is a 2012)?

I am hiring the autotune for the Microtec and need to swap the existing one with the autotune one when it arrives.
This is the first nice day we have had for a while, so before starting to pull things apart, I thought I would ask whether there is a simple method or whether the exhaust needs to come off whilst I go for a ride.

Thanks for any advice

Wayne

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Don't know about your model Brutale, but basically the o2 sensor simply screws into a bung in the mid-pipe. Most can be removed without pulling the exhaust system. The hardest part is getting to the electrical connector to unplug it.

You can't take it out and go riding....leaves a big hole in the exhaust!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wajor,
It can be removed without removing the exhaust. You'll have to get down on the floor, put an open end wrench on it and break it loose. I was able to unscrew mine and then unplug it fron
M the harness without any issues (990R, 2010, same setup). Chris (X-Bikes) told me not to run the bike with the autotune lambda sensor disconnected, so if you plan on running the bike without the autotune initially, then plug the bung with an appropriate fitting (I plan to use the plug that came with my Arrow exhaust, just have to find it...). I decided to buy the autotune along with the Microtec, in case I decide to make any exhaust or intake changes down the road. Now, if I could just get the weather to cooperate I could get on with the tuning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

My bad, I meant that I was going for a ride now the weather was good rather than crawl around trying to take the probe out - that may be todays challenge as the rain is back.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers

Wayne

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
No, Ed, the hardest part is getting the plug between the engine and swing arm :stickpoke
Yeah...what he said !! :conveyer:

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
maybe Shaun......but its still about impossible to get the plug through the gap between the engine and the swingarm:jsm:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I must be bloody unlucky. I have just spent a couple of hours trying to get at that probe and can't get a spanner on it in a position to undo it! I removed the brake assembly which allows better access, but the shape of the cat makes it impossible to get at. Can anyone confirm it is a 22mm spanner that is required (the autotune one is)?
I will have another go when I get back from Margaret River, but the mosquito's have got the better of me now.

Any other advice appreciated.

Cheers

Wayne

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, Noel, yes, the standard O2 sensor. I will try and find a different 22mm spanner with a smaller head/different offset. Might give me the clearance I need to get it started.

Cheers and thanks for the help

Wayne

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Wayne,
How did you go with the Autotune?

I'm interested to know how successful it was as I'm next in line (assuming it is the one from Protech)?

Thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi there,the guy who tune my bike said I'm missing an O2 senser or plug on my bike. He is going to do autotune for my microtec but first to get the plug first. Please kindly advice.

cheers,
FOIB

Attachments

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

Hi there,the guy who tune my bike said I'm missing an O2 senser or plug on my bike. He is going to do autotune for my microtec but first to get the plug first. Please kindly advice.
cheers,
FOIB
FOIB;
to run the MicroTec/race 5SM ECUs you don't need the 02 sensor

to run an Autotune you will more than likely need one

where are you located?

I might be able to help

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

cheers,
FOIB
Your 1000R did not have an o2 sensor I assume, to run the Auto tune unit, you need to take your mid-pipe and have the threaded inlet welded onto it.
You don't plug into the bikes o2 sensor wiring when running auto tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for ur info dons. Guess I have a pipe with the o2 sensor but my bike didnt make for it.

cheers,
FOIB

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Thanks for ur info dons. Guess I have a pipe with the o2 sensor but my bike didnt make for it.

cheers,
FOIB
Yup, that sounds about right.

·
Registered
164 Posts
FOIB;
to run the MicroTec/race 5SM ECUs you don't need the 02 sensor

to run an Autotune you will more than likely need one

where are you located?

I might be able to help
Theknurl,
I located in melb. I run the microtec is fine without the O2 sensor. Just that the guy who had tuned my bike told me that he could improve it by putting in autotune to my bike but he require the O2 sensor that connect to my bike.

cheers,
FOIB

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Theknurl,
I located in melb. I run the microtec is fine without the O2 sensor. Just that the guy who had tuned my bike told me that he could improve it by putting in autotune to my bike but he require the O2 sensor that connect to my bike.

cheers,
FOIB

The Autotune for Microtec is a specific model, NO other wideband lambda or controller will work.

It communicates through CAN BUS so is coded to their Product.

Not sure how a disabled narrow band lambda is going to be of any use in setting a bike up on the dyno. You need wide band to cover the potential variations in signal, plus the sensor has no input from it in to a Microtec so is absolutely useless.

If you're mapping on a dyno then Autotune is useful for time saving building base maps but nothing can replicate manual mapping.

I'm doing an email reply to you as well mate.

:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts