MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got on the track - it's been 11 years since the last time. We (my wife and daughter) were going to Monterey for Spring Break and my wife noticed that there happened to be a track school going on at Laguna Seca - so I signed up.

Unfortunately, the weather wasn't so cooperative. The morning was okay if a bit cold, but after lunch it started to rain. I got one session done in the rain and it started raining so hard you could hardly see. Greg Pridmore offered discounts to those still there (many left the minute it started to rain) if he canceled the rest of the day. He normally runs the school rain or shine, but it had gotten pretty bad. It was interesting riding in the rain on the one session I did.

While the whole experience wasn't what I had hoped for, it was epic to ride on Laguna Seca. Going over the corkscrew is like nothing else I've ever ridden. Except for the long straightaway, I rode the rest of the track in 2nd and 3rd - I've never thrashed my bike so much - a blast. Love the sound of it - even with everything stock.

Didn't have time to break through some barriers I'd hoped to (I want to get more confident with my lean angle), but still had a blast.

I want to give a shout out to Richard (Rickyleesurf). He very kindly garaged my bike for a couple of days so that it didn't have to sit at our hotel while my family and I did our thing. I didn't have to worry about it and it didn't have to sit out in the yucky weather we had. Love this forum!! Thanks, Richard!

I don't have any on track photos. I am trying to find out who the professional photographer that was there and see what he has. If I get any photos, I'll post them in the Official Track Day Picture thread. Here's a couple of shots before the day started.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Looks like fun! I may try to grab a lot in one of those classes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and I wanted to mention this encounter I had. When we came back home to SoCal, I rode the bike part of the way before putting it back in the truck for the long haul through LA traffic. Anyway, as I got off my bike in a parking lot, a car pulled up next to me:
Guy in car, "Beautiful bike, mate!"
Me, "Thanks."
Guy in car, "What make is it?"
Me, "MV Agusta"
Guy in car, "Agusta? I don't think we have those over in Australia."
Me, "Actually, you probably have more of them over there than here judging by the number of Australians on the MV online forum."
Guy in car, "Huh, I must have just thought they were Ducatis. Anyway, that's a nice looking bike. G'day, mate!"

... for all you Australians out there.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Oh, and I wanted to mention this encounter I had. When we came back home to SoCal, I rode the bike part of the way before putting it back in the truck for the long haul through LA traffic. Anyway, as I got off my bike in a parking lot, a car pulled up next to me:
Guy in car, "Beautiful bike, mate!"
Me, "Thanks."
Guy in car, "What make is it?"
Me, "MV Agusta"
Guy in car, "Agusta? I don't think we have those over in Australia."
Me, "Actually, you probably have more of them over there than here judging by the number of Australians on the MV online forum."
Guy in car, "Huh, I must have just thought they were Ducatis. Anyway, that's a nice looking bike. G'day, mate!"

... for all you Australians out there.
Happens to me pretty much every time I ride. Or talk to anyone about my bike. Lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I second that emotion. Even at stop lights, I'll have a guy pull up next to me and ask, "Is that a Ducati?". To which I respond, "No, it's an MV Agusta". And the response is either, "What", or "I've never seen one of those in person".

Happens to me pretty much every time I ride. Or talk to anyone about my bike. Lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
lc_brutale,

I'll have to get up there for a track day eventually. But I have heard that the bike MUST have the stock exhaust fitted or be able to pass a noise decibel limit. Is there any truth to this or is it just a rumor?

I finally got on the track - it's been 11 years since the last time. We (my wife and daughter) were going to Monterey for Spring Break and my wife noticed that there happened to be a track school going on at Laguna Seca - so I signed up.

Unfortunately, the weather wasn't so cooperative. The morning was okay if a bit cold, but after lunch it started to rain. I got one session done in the rain and it started raining so hard you could hardly see. Greg Pridmore offered discounts to those still there (many left the minute it started to rain) if he canceled the rest of the day. He normally runs the school rain or shine, but it had gotten pretty bad. It was interesting riding in the rain on the one session I did.

While the whole experience wasn't what I had hoped for, it was epic to ride on Laguna Seca. Going over the corkscrew is like nothing else I've ever ridden. Except for the long straightaway, I rode the rest of the track in 2nd and 3rd - I've never thrashed my bike so much - a blast. Love the sound of it - even with everything stock.

Didn't have time to break through some barriers I'd hoped to (I want to get more confident with my lean angle), but still had a blast.

I want to give a shout out to Richard (Rickyleesurf). He very kindly garaged my bike for a couple of days so that it didn't have to sit at our hotel while my family and I did our thing. I didn't have to worry about it and it didn't have to sit out in the yucky weather we had. Love this forum!! Thanks, Richard!

I don't have any on track photos. I am trying to find out who the professional photographer that was there and see what he has. If I get any photos, I'll post them in the Official Track Day Picture thread. Here's a couple of shots before the day started.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lc_brutale,

I'll have to get up there for a track day eventually. But I have heard that the bike MUST have the stock exhaust fitted or be able to pass a noise decibel limit. Is there any truth to this or is it just a rumor?
Not a rumor, and very true. The riding school was very clear that they have no control and that if the sound people at Laguna determine that your bike is past the limit (stock exhaust or not) then you can't go on the track. The riding school referred people to some local guy that adds something to your exhaust to make it pass and I remember seeing a bunch of bikes with weird little ninety degree outlets on their exhausts which I assume helped them pass.

I was worried at first that even with my stock exhaust, I might not pass, but I was never flagged, so I guess it was fine. Apparently there is a specific spot on the track where they measure the sound as you go by, but I was too busy having fun to notice :yo:.

·
Registered
114 Posts
lc_brutale,

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I am glad I kept my stock exhaust, though it might not pass either based on your information. But it'll get closer to a pass than the Bodis I mounted.

If you get a date on a track day/class there in the future, please pass it on to me. A track day at Laguna Seca is on my bucket list! And I'd gladly swap out the exhaust to participate.

Thanks,
Will

Not a rumor, and very true. The riding school was very clear that they have no control and that if the sound people at Laguna determine that your bike is past the limit (stock exhaust or not) then you can't go on the track. The riding school referred people to some local guy that adds something to your exhaust to make it pass and I remember seeing a bunch of bikes with weird little ninety degree outlets on their exhausts which I assume helped them pass.

I was worried at first that even with my stock exhaust, I might not pass, but I was never flagged, so I guess it was fine. Apparently there is a specific spot on the track where they measure the sound as you go by, but I was too busy having fun to notice :yo:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts