MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike has always intrigued me. Has anyone had the opportunity to ride one? I'm hoping that it will be at the CycleWorld show this year. I was hoping it would be at last years but it wasn't. Just curious.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I too have been intrigued...the new R version looks even better, but I'm not sure it's going to be in the US. I called my local dealer who knew nothing about the bike.

·
Registered
668 Posts
No, they're not listed this year either (at least not at the Wash DC show this weekend). Too bad, because the new Duke looks like an amazing machine (and looks much better in all black than orange - imo).

If you want an idea of how tough these bikes are, look at they're performance in the Dakar Rally. Most of the top moto finishers are on KTMs. This year is no different.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm not sure that a dirt based engine can be compared to a street based engine though. Usually dirt engines don't have to be nearly as heavy duty in the transmission and stuff as street engines. I think the KTM engine is pretty widely accepted as being reliable, but this wasn't the case for another street bike which adopted another maker's dirt engine.

I'm still waiting to see. When they decide to roadrace that engine, that's when I'll really take notice.

Cool bikes though.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The SuperDuke is a fun and wonderful bike. This is one of a few bikes I will definately bring with me when I retire to my vacation home in Taiwan's east side. :) An excellent bike to hack the tight twisties like the road connecting Shihpen (Taitung) and Kenting...I am turning pretty blue waiting for the RC8. It's a shame!!!

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
SuperLuke on this site has a KTM Superduke. He has had it for a while now and also has a KTM dirtbike (450 ex?). I rode the Superduke for about a mile just to see how the ergos felt and the Brutale has a sportier feel if only because the pegs are higher. He has several thousand miles on it and no problems to date that I know of.

I will let him know about this thread in case anyone has a specific question to ask. Since he doesn't have an MV he frequents the KTM forums more :loser: :spank:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Just checked out the SuperDuke R. What a nice looking bike. The black with the orange frame looks great. I have to admit, the bike looks really nice. Interested in the handling and power delivery.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I rode one around, albeit in the rain a month ago or so. Seemed a bit too similar to the Brutale, and since I have one of those, was not so interested. I'm actually looking at some other KTM bikes, like the little dirt bikes....

It looks pretty good. Easy to ride for sure. If I wanted another bike in the Brutale genre, I'd probably look more closely at the Speed Triple first. Of course, i'd get the SuperDuke out in the dry too!

·
Registered
128 Posts
A good friend of mine rides one here in Germany, Fast Fast Fast........from what i can see it doest quite have the top end of our bikes.
I'll tell you what though, put it in the twisties and its right at home......
VERY cool in person.......Pictures do this bike NO justice.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
My local dealer has the franchise in our area for the KTM's, he's tried to get me out on his Super Duke demo a couple of times and whilst I'd like a go, I've got no intention of buying one and I don't like to take a bike out on test unless I'm potentially a buyer. They do look querky, a bit like the Benelli TNT in styling and they have some good offers on the 2006 Super Dukes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would have to agree GL 21 about the pictures doing it no justice. A friend of mine in Texas owned a KTM dealership and he has had a Super Duke that he rides since 04 and it is awsome the looks take some getting used to but once you really start looking at it is a nice bike and can move. He also has a 950 Adventure and that is awsome also. KTM makes awsome engines, and great bikes.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The Super Duke has received some great press recently...Motorycylist and Cycle World couldn't stop raving. Anyone know if they are bringing the R into the US? It's amazing how the dealers know nothing. I wonder if it's too similar to the Brutale, as Colin mentions. I was figuring it could be a great twin with a little more comfort for longer rides. Anyone else have a test ride on a new one? :f4:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts