MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a look at the new 2020 SD 1290R yesterday and was completely underwhelmed with the look. Not the styling per se. The whole thing looked like composite plastic. Cheap looking. From what I've read they're a hoot and I'm sure they are. But damn for $20K USD seriously plastic-like. The new norm?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Seems like the new norm. I test rode one 5 years ago when they came out and there were £2k more at the time than the Brutale I ended up with. The KTM was finished like an off road bike, with plastic and stickers versus real paint. Compared to the paint finish on the MV, no contest. It was a great bike to ride, very fast, so much torque and all the latest gizmos, but it didnt really look or feel special.

An acquaintance recently bought a BMW S1000R on a good deal, lots of extras, blinged it up with carbon etc, but then I noticed the red/white/blue finish on it was stickers too....it was just a plain white bike with stickers ?! ...for £13k ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
ha, yep, spot on.
The new Super Duke R is no looked but it took me about 60 seconds to decide it was probably the best overall bike I had ever been on. S U P E R B bike. It aces poise, balance, raw acceleration, high tech, safety tech and comfort.
It just falls short of looks and sound, the latter improved by an Akra.

I rode it a month after I bought my Dragster RR. It smashes the MV in terms of all round goodness but do I show regret?
No - due to the sound, character and looks of the MV - a modern classic.

Case in point - A new bottom of the range 911 will slaughter a Ferrari F430 Manual dynamically but on looks, sound and character it does not get close.

Here is my review of the 2020 SDR. Loved it and would be delighted to own one.
16K.... a bargain when compared to the Streetfighter V4S but, yes, a lot of money and the Z H2 is faster and more comfy and the Tuono Factory is pretty close.

Reactions: NM-1

·
Registered
177 Posts
For some reason the general shape of the KTMs I find just simply ugly.
I know they are great bikes to ride, but they look awful to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For some reason the general shape of the KTMs I find just simply ugly.
I know they are great bikes to ride, but they look awful to me.
I don;t disagree. MInd you , if they were good looking it and reliable and there were plentiful dealers we would all have one :)

Mind you, the RC8 looked amazing. Given their recent success in MotoGP I;d love to see them bring out a limited Edition racebike.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I'm looking at a 1290 R GT. It comes with side bags and cruise control. Have not seen one or ridden one but reviews indicate it is a good bike

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think that the GT with the panniers on is actually the best looking KTM of the lot.
I took one out when i was actually considering it as a purchase. I need to go on it again as at the time I felt something was missing. I think it may have been 'too good' and I wanting more drama in my life.
I had just come of the Super Adventure S and I actually, weirdly, preferred that and the way it delivered.

The GT with the latest tech updates looks awesome and might well be the right bike for me now.
I am actually currently mostly considering the Triumph GT Pro or Ninja 1000 SX, both of which I have been on.

Here is my GT review. MIc is a bit crap though on this one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I rode the 1290 GT in europe through the alps last year and loved it. My boys and I have five KTM dirt bikes between us and a 2019 790 Duke. The Duke is super fun to ride. It is very basic, but thats less crap to go wrong, as well. I love being over the front tire in turns, the sound and the easy gear box. KTM is solid in my view, but yes plasticky.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice, I am very envous!

·
Registered
536 Posts
The KTM look is a bit of an acquired taste I think, I initially thought the Turismo Veloce was kinda funny looking as well.

From my research, the 1290 GT and the Ninja 1000 don't consistently get the sort of fuel economy that I expect from a sports tourer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts