MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride my 312R to/from work (about 5 miles) and today when I restarted her to roll her into my office (pull up, turn her off, unlock the front door, restart, then ride her in), I heard a loud click from the engine area, around where the cam chain tensioner would be, under the front part of the tank.

I'm a little overdue for the valve check and for the 2 years of ownership and about 5000 miles I've never had a hiccup. I'll try to replicate and record on video and post it here. I've read the many posts regarding cct problems but this was a fast click and was not constant. No fluttering or ticking afterwards. I replaced the tensioner in my 05 1000S but didn't do the 312R as I thought the issue was rectified in 07.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks, Art

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
Can't really help from here, but Knock-Tap-Clank is probably better than Bang-Pow-Ow!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Art, as Chuck said it's very hard to diagnose at a distance.
Being the eternal optimist, could it possibly be a spragg clutch noise of the starter motor. The short journey and lots of startups may be conspiring against you ? And a poor battery can cause spragg noises.

Other things that spring to mind ..down pipes not loose ? Fuel filter pipe detached suddenly in the tank ? Rivnut horrors ?

Anyway I hope it is something simple. Don't think the camchain tensioner on your bike is typically a problem.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
Joe, it's a 312R...probably not sprag related.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Thanks Chuck
I know it's the triples that have had spragg probs. Was just thinking if the battery is a bit run down with the short trip and 3 starts to get the bike parked up in Art's office then the spragg could make a noise....
Anyway I hope it's something innocuous !

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Yes Mitchy, the black topped tensioner is on there.

It happened a second time and exactly at the time when I hit the start button. First thing I did when I got the bike was the rivnut mod so I don't think anything is down there. I've ridden about 20 miles since the first time it's happened and I haven't heard any wild noises.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ride throughout the year. I've had the Shorai LiPo through two winters so far and it has never hesitated on startup. Nice strong starts, always.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
If it does not occur again, just keep an eye on it. Maybe it was a kind of misfire...

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes Mitchy, the black topped tensioner is on there.

It happened a second time and exactly at the time when I hit the start button. First thing I did when I got the bike was the rivnut mod so I don't think anything is down there. I've ridden about 20 miles since the first time it's happened and I haven't heard any wild noises.
Still could be a problem tensioner even if it is the black one.It is a mechanical part after all.:)

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely Mitch. When I get back from my trip the first thing I'll do is pull the tensioner and inspect.

Joe and Erik, you two are more than welcome to come visit and lend a hand. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
If I was a betting person, I would put my money on it being the starter circuit. I have had the horrible clank when the starter button is pushed. It sounds really loud and solid, like something is seriously seized.
It happened when I stopped to refuel.

If the battery is known to be good, remove and dielectric grease on all connections between the battery and starter motor, and earth straps.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I was a betting person, I would put my money on it being the starter circuit. I have had the horrible clank when the starter button is pushed. It sounds really loud and solid, like something is seriously seized.
It happened when I stopped to refuel.

If the battery is known to be good, remove and dielectric grease on all connections between the battery and starter motor, and earth straps.
Thank you for that. Seems very plausible. I'll do that at the same time as I'll have the bike apart soon.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
FWIW, my bike was supplied with a Yuasa battery, and has always been hooked up to a tender.
When I was having electrical issues, As a last resort I changed it and the difference was night and day. The cranking speed was greatly increased. According to the optimate tender, it was testing as OK, but the difference was massive.

Just mentioned this to illustrate that assumption can be your worst enemy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts