MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
this is a questions relevant above all for all the Dragster RR owners out there
did you have any issue with your spoked Kineo wheels in occasion of a tire change? did you or the shop damage the wheel?
is the paint job really that weak on those rims? and specifically the white ones?
Cheers

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm about to find out, I just spent over $1000 on a no-mar "classic" tire changer and balancer..the whole kit..I prefer to change my own tires, if it gets messed up..it's on me!..I will be doing tires for other people too...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yup. Had to get a new tire put on in a short amount of time. Went to a shop and they pretty much pulled all the paint off the lip. Super pissed but it was my fault for going there in the first place.

I'll be powder coating the wheel and having a place in LA lace it up soon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the tires changed at an official MV garage to make full use of their experience and avoid any kind of damage of the rims. unfortunately it did not work out and once I got the bike back I noticed damages were done. See pictures below. It looks like the mechanic levered on the rims itself without using protections or on the 'machine shoe' (not sure about the technical word) instead. About 5-6 marks on both side, for both wheels.

The MV garage is blaming (at least partially) the extremely poor quality of the Kineo paint job, being very fragile.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The MV shop decided to take responsibility: they suggested to dismantle the tires and send the rims to be 'repaired' by a specialized rims repair shop. In between I drove 900 km (long weekend out).

Once they remove the tires they noticed they have been 'eating up' more paint and caused more serious flaking. See pictures. Those wheels are supposed to be a premium product. I am gutted.

Did anyone else have issue with the Kieno spoked wheels? aside the known yellowing
Can anyone please confirm they changed their tires with no issues at all?
Any info is highly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Atom, would you be able to send me some pictures and tell me little more?
Did they also improperly lever the tires out of the lips?

Yup. Had to get a new tire put on in a short amount of time. Went to a shop and they pretty much pulled all the paint off the lip. Super pissed but it was my fault for going there in the first place.

I'll be powder coating the wheel and having a place in LA lace it up soon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Masterspin
Did you succeed doing it without damaging them?

I'm about to find out, I just spent over $1000 on a no-mar "classic" tire changer and balancer..the whole kit..I prefer to change my own tires, if it gets messed up..it's on me!..I will be doing tires for other people too...

·
Super Moderator
24,733 Posts
@Lucaoscar: That damage is poor lubrication of the bead and rim as well as bad application of tire removal tools. It is solely on the shop that did the work.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
That looks bad indeed. Good that the shop will repair.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@Lucaoscar: That damage is poor lubrication of the bead and rim as well as bad application of tire removal tools. It is solely on the shop that did the work.
Hi Silent,
as for the damages, that's my position too and actually the shop is taking its responsibility and paying/caring for the repair (that being and official MV dealer. Ironically i took the wheels there to avoid damages even if i own a manual tire machine myself for the track bike)

Never the less, the extra flaking happening in the internal side of the lips is worring me.
I have never saw something this bad before and I wonder if the paint work quality has something to do with it too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks bad indeed. Good that the shop will repair.
bedankt Max
it seems the rims were already fixed this afternoon by a specialized wheels-repair shop somewhere here in Noord Brabant. I will post pics once the job is finished and i get the bike back

On the side: do you plan to attend the Italdag in Beusichem on the 27th August?

·
Super Moderator
24,733 Posts
Hi Silent,
as for the damages, that's my position too and actually the shop is taking its responsibility and paying/caring for the repair (that being and official MV dealer. Ironically i took the wheels there even if i own a manual tire machine myself for the track bike, exactly to avoid damages)

Never the less, the extra flaking happening in the internal side of the lips is worring me.
I have never saw something this bad before and I wonder if the paint work quality has something to do with it too.
If that flaking was not present on the original removed tires, then I doubt it is paint quality.

I would suspect that whatever method the mechanic used to remove the tires also scraped the paint and that residue is what you are seeing.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
bedankt Max
it seems the rims were already fixed this afternoon by a specialized wheels-repair shop somewhere here in Noord Brabant. I will post pics once the job is finished and i get the bike back

On the side: do you plan to attend the Italdag in Beusichem on the 27th August?
Probably not. We will have a ride out the 27th.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just got my tire changer assembled and I'm working on getting the tire off the dragster..i might be able to change it tonight and will keep you posted..thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
O.K...I fumbled around trying to learn how to use this tire machine, it took a few tries to get the rim clamped down and in the process I did get a couple of niks on the paint, (white rim edge) it can be avoided with more experience..changing the tire took 3 times longer than it should have, I had to go back to youtube to see what I was doing wrong, after that I got it going pretty good. you can change the tires on these rims without damage to the paint if you just spend a couple of bucks and buy some nylon rim protectors to use when you have to pry the tire lip over the edge, my tools that came with the no-mar tire changer has nylon tips on the prybar and the install end too. It did a good job without scraping any paint using the tire grease. I will buy the protectors before I change the front tire. I might post a video of it once I learn how to do the editing for youtube...
P.S. I think the paint is very delicate and easy to damage, it chips very easily, they are good for show, maybe not go...I may end up buying B.S.T. carbon wheels, I seem to be leaning in that direction...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello. Sorry to wake up an old post.

For the guys with kineo rims, that sent them to a repaint job, did you removed the nipples and spokes ?
If so, is it hard to remove and reinstall them ? Any suggestions ??
My 2019 white rimms are more like a yellow color, probably because of sun exposure, very strong in this part of the globe.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,290 Posts
For a proper paint job the rim will need to be removed. This is just another spoke wheel. Disassembly and assembly are not difficult IF you know what you are doing. Getting the wheel true after reassembly is the hardest part (an art form to some).
You will need the appropriate spoke wrench, a truing stand..... and skills.
Anyone who has replaced rims on a dirt bike will know how.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For a proper paint job the rim will need to be removed. This is just another spoke wheel. Disassembly and assembly are not difficult IF you know what you are doing. Getting the wheel true after reassembly is the hardest part (an art form to some).
You will need the appropriate spoke wrench, a truing stand..... and skills.
Anyone who has replaced rims on a dirt bike will know how.
Yes, I just spoken with the painter, and he asked me to remove the nippples and spokes in order to do a proper paint job. So, wish me luck :D Thank you for your advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts