MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 F4 leans over at a way more aggressive angle than any of my other bikes, when on the kickstand. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If I remember correctly there has been a thread about this before, some members have fixed an extension to the side stand to reduce the lean angle.
There may even be longer side stands available, try this one for example:
http://www.designcorse.com/shop/mv-agusta-parts/mv-agusta-f4-parts/mv-agusta-f4-750-1000-312-1078rr/mv-agusta-f4-side-stands/motocorse-billet-side-stand-detail
When I park I look for a little sloped ground, and use that to decrease the lean if I can. I always carry one of those plastic bases to put under the side stand, or improvise and find something that is a little higher and won't slip!

·
Registered
661 Posts
IMO The F4 is more weighty up top and so the stand lean compared to some modern bikes like the Ducatis will be more. Go to the dealer and compare. This is normal. If it sits too upright it will stand to fall over in the opposite direction much too easily. Someone merely have to nudge into it and push it over. Mine leans more than my Duc by a couple of degrees. Then again my Duc is quite straight when on the stand. I a weary of this and turn the wheel full left to get it to lean more to reduce the risk of tipping the right. Everyone's nightmare when bike is unattended is for someone to walk and bump into bike over to the right onto its side...or getting it stolen, of course. YMMV

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's a shitstand, not a kickstand....
you like yours then.

I lowered my ride height adjuster by a few threads which made a difference, the arse on the bike was way to high until I did that, which also helped the stand angle.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Let a mate ride it and he didn't relies that it lent over as much as it did. It ended up tipping over but was caught by a shop window...

So to answer your question, hated it.

·
Registered
14,510 Posts
it isn't just ride height, don't forget tire diameter too

my 180/55s are going to be WAY different than a 200/60 or taller

:jsm:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Seriously? Mine's never fallen over or even gone CLOSE to falling over, a little care goes a long way, when pulling up and parking.

The angle is a little bigger than I was originally used to and comfortable with when I first bought the bike but you work with it which gets back to 'care' & there's not been a problem in all the years I've had my 1000 s. Nor am I likely to have one in the future.

PS. As part of the meticulous maintenance regime applied to all my bikes, I found the side stand bolts had loosened a couple of years back - I put some low strength lock-tite on them and nipped them up - I check everything at every single service including sidestand bolts and not a problem since.

I also visually check the hub every 3K at the time I do the 'mini service' (grease if necessary) and fully service it every 6K - still have the original hub & BEARINGS heading up to 30K & they are still as tight as the day the bike was made. A correctly adjusted chain & tensioned bolts & proper maintenance goes a long long way.

Now I am going riding (seeing as I don't have a broken wrist anymore) ....... but not on the on the F4 :laughing:

Happy Foruming :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2002 750S appeared to lean over a lot when I first bought it. A few days later the stand snapped when I pulled up for some petrol. May be worth checking the stands not bent or any cracks in the metal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You've got a point there. Will check. Cheers. Although I'm pretty sure its been on the rear stand for the last 4 years when not being ridden (knowing how meticulous the PO was).

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
I bought the MV Corse stand from Alex at GP Racing.Nicely made and 25mm longer.Available in black or silver.You can also fit the Y10 stand which is longer also.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Your scaring me, better go check my brand new stand.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Check your bolts. I once had the same feeling ('is my bike starting to lean over MORE'?) and the concern was valid : what was happening is that some of the 3 bolts which hold the kickstand were starting to make their way out of the engine case. Kind of a gradual process since when you use your kickstand they actually get bent when they're halfway out.
I felt so fortunate I caught it in time. The 3 bots were replaced by new ones (CAG is just a call away) and a lot of red thread lock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts