MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just a quick one. I picked up my F4 Brutale 750S yesterday and I have no confidence in the kick stand keeping my bike upright when parked. It just seems to have to much of a lean to it. Is this normal. Everything looks OK, nothing is bent.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hi Paul, post some pictures mate.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yep that's normal mate quick tip when in garage put on paddock stand that will stop unwanted presure on the sump

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I always have the bike on the side stand when I climb aboard. I'm not the shortest bloke in the line-up but despite my greatest efforts it does seem to place a bit of sideways strain on the sump. This makes me wince a little each time.

This of course could be age related . Maybe younger guys find it easier to get a leg over ; ) and without wincing ha ha

Anyway my point is that I believe this is the action which will shove the sump to the right a little each time and I don't see leaving the bike on it's side stand having a major influence, however I doubt if it helps once the plate is loose..But that's just my opinion..

I checked the sump bolts on a low mileage engine ( circa 800 miles ) . They were all loose..some I could undo with my fingers...So that bike slipped through Quality control at the factory, Road preparation at the dealership in UK and it's first service without being spotted and rectified.I however, rank amateur that I am did spot it and did rectify it by re- torquing them .Hmmm makes ya think dunnit ?

joe

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I leave the side stand down when I'm getting on the bike but I don't put any pressure on it, I always use the POS Paddock stand when parked in my garage, I've got to look at getting something easier though.
I find when I put my stand down all the way to the stopper it moves back about 5 mm. This puts it at a point that if I'm not careful when I get off the bike and the stand is touching the ground any movement of the bike going forward will kick the stand up, I almost dropped the bike because of this. This has only happened once and I won't let it happen again. I've only had the bike a couple of days and that's on of it's traits that I almost learnt the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I learned the hard way to leave the bike in gear when it's parked and to always grab a fist full of front brake lever as I climb aboard..that way she can't roll forward as you get on.

joe

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I leave the side stand down when I'm getting on the bike but I don't put any pressure on it, I always use the POS Paddock stand when parked in my garage, I've got to look at getting something easier though.
I find when I put my stand down all the way to the stopper it moves back about 5 mm. This puts it at a point that if I'm not careful when I get off the bike and the stand is touching the ground any movement of the bike going forward will kick the stand up, I almost dropped the bike because of this. This has only happened once and I won't let it happen again. I've only had the bike a couple of days and that's on of it's traits that I almost learnt the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
That's still normal Paul.

My only advice is that when stopping and putting the stand down, I always always always ensure it's properly in place....it only took one occasion where I almost dropped it getting off to make sure that the stand is properly bedded .... :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I learned the hard way to leave the bike in gear when it's parked and to always grab a fist full of front brake lever as I climb aboard..that way she can't roll forward as you get on.

joe
This. Also if you want something easier they make front wheel cradles you can ride right into but you wouldn't be able to lock the steering. I apparently ended up with the mv teams version of a rear stand that I love.

·
Vendor
5,372 Posts
I didnt like the angle of my F4 either on the sidestand,so I made a sidestand extension out of a small block of aluminium,shaped it,drilled and taped into the original stand.Lee made one also when he owned his MV.Now the bike sits at a better angle. 54446_small.jpg

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The only concern I would have with doing that is when do you do when you encounter uneven surfaces? I feel having the bike more on the stand gives me a bit more confidence if I am stuck parking on a slight (very slight, or else i ride around for something else) grade.

Also as for Joe's comment about getting a leg up. Even at 6' and 31yrs I have to be deliberate about it but never feel like I am putting pressure on the stand. I do also lock up that front brake when mounting/dismounting to help me feel better about leaving the bike in gear. Id rather not put any more odd pressure on the transmission than is needed.

Paul, its an interesting idea but I dont like their execution, its a multipiece design with a a tang like a knife. It seems like that joint would be weaker than a solid bar.

·
Vendor
5,372 Posts
Understand what you are saying Ryan,I just choose where to park the bike so its at the right angle.Before I made the extension the bike was at a dangerious angle,and in summer when the bitumen is soft I was afraid the bike would topple one day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts