MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject states, I cannot turn the key in the iginition in either direction (towards ON nor towards LOCK). Key works just fine in gas cap and trunk release and bike was bought new in April 2010; I've never had an issue before this...bike is a 2009 Brutale 1078RR.

I tried both keys, wiggling and jiggling (the key, that is), some lube (again, on the key), blowing compressed air into cylinder (maybe to clear out debris), prayer, voodoo dance, and much cursing and swearing, but nothing helped. The key inserts normally, and it sure feels like the pins/tumblers working fine. The key will actually turn a few degrees, but will hit some resistance and stop turning.

Is there some sort of ignition lock that I'm not aware of?? Also, this happened while mapping my new ECU; would that have anything to do with it? I didn't think that being able to turn the key is linked to ECU, but at this point I don't know what to think.

Thanks for any insights you can share. :smoking:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
voodoo dance :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm sorry Volt. It's not a funny matter but that made me smile and I thank you

·
Registered
188 Posts
Steering lock?????

Is the steering turned "hard up against" the steering lock? Can you move the handlebars "side to side" slightly while simultaneously turning the ignition key?

Dick

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha...no worries, Cooper! Yesterday wore my patience pretty thin, but in the grand scheme of things, life could be a lot worse than having to deal with a fussy motorcycle. Just ask my fiancee who had to drive 100 miles to pick me up!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the steering turned "hard up against" the steering lock? Can you move the handlebars "side to side" slightly while simultaneously turning the ignition key?

Dick
The bars are unlocked and can turn full range from side-to-side.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Ya know...... mine kinda did the same thing about a year ago. I used liquid graphite and havn't had a problem since. Mabey give that a try ? ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried some Tri-Flow with no luck, but will certainly try the liquid graphite as well...thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Oh man that sucks - I hope you get it resolved...haven't seen this problem before :(

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Is the key bent at all?

I had a key issue on the CBR1000. Gas cap worked fine and you could put it into the ignition barrel but it wouldn't turn. Same as you describe.

I looked at the key and the bugger had a slight bend to it. A bit of hammer work later, it was back in shape and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Water ingress!!!

Happened to mine once!

Spray ....??? etc!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the key bent at all?

I had a key issue on the CBR1000. Gas cap worked fine and you could put it into the ignition barrel but it wouldn't turn. Same as you describe.

I looked at the key and the bugger had a slight bend to it. A bit of hammer work later, it was back in shape and never had a problem again.
Key looks perfectly straight. I also tried the 2nd key which also didn't work...this was the first time I ever used the 2nd key (had to remove the cover over the key blade).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Water ingress!!!

Happened to mine once!

Spray ....??? etc!!!

In addition to a shot of lube, also later tried blowing compressed air to remove any foreign matter that might be in there. This happened on Monday midday and I've still been trying ever since to turn the damn key!! :cry:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the steering lock pin look fully retracted?
The lock pin is fully retracted and moves freely with the very small amounts that the key can turn. The bars are completely unlock and can turn troughout the full range.

I have appointment with dealer tomorrow for warranty coverage. When I called to describe the issue, service mgr was way cool about it and said he'd try to have the parts ready, but would prob take a few days to get. He didn't say it was a common issue, but didn't appear too surprised about.

Thanks, all, for your replies! I'll be sure and post a f/u when all is done.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your pointers and suggestions. I took the bike back to dealer and they had a locksmith disassemble the ignition cylinder and take a look. Seems that an unfinished part of the inside of the barrel broke off and jammed the cylinder. They removed it and gave it a once-over to make sure nothing strange like that would (hopefully) not happen again. Works good as new!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts