MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the top racing drivers started out in Karting and I've been a few times with friends over the years and it's always been a great hoot whether outdoors or indoors. John-Mark has been pestering me for a while now to go to our local indoor circuit and when I got round to checking it out, we found it had closed down. :bawling: Undeterred, John-Mark scoured the net and found an outdoor circuit near York using the twin engined Karts so we jumped on the VFR this morning and went along for a look. Cutting a long story short, we grapped the opportunity to go out for half an hour practice on the circuit which is just an old airfield track with the course marked out with old tyres but we had tremendous fun, just the two of us. After the 30 minutes we got the chequered flag and as the Karts have timing devices fitted, I was pleased when the marshall came up and said I'd posted the fastest lap of the day, a 37.62 but then he went on to say that was until John-Mark put in a 37.13. We came away thinking what a great way to spend a Sunday morning and will definitely go again but I will have to handicap the little bugger next time. :spank: How rude to beat Dad when he's paying!!! :laughing: :laughing: Sorry I took the camera but forgot to take any pictures. :jsm: Anyone else go Karting here?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh man, sounds like a blast.

4 wheels and I don't mix. Maybe a cart would. I just can't process feedback from a 4 wheeled vehicle very well...

See what Griff said in another post, he's taking his YSR50 minibike out to a cart track. Doesn't that sound like fun?

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
I do...Here are my local indoor tracks, I don't own a kart, so I go to these "retail" places. The first one is 5 minutes from my front door, huge mototrcycle fan base, the place is filled with awesome bikes as decorations, and you race electric karts up to 45 mph, they are much quicker out of the corners than the gas ones. The second is a well-known gas-kart place, same deal, their karts, arrive and race.

They are both a blast.

p2r Racing

dromo1

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I do too. But watch out... :jsm: I commenced on the indoor tracks and ended on outdoor tracks doing races on an international level. It's pretty addicting but also very expensive to do it on a high level. Never would have wanted to miss it though :yo:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
acruhl said:
Oh man, sounds like a blast.

4 wheels and I don't mix. Maybe a cart would. I just can't process feedback from a 4 wheeled vehicle very well...

See what Griff said in another post, he's taking his YSR50 minibike out to a cart track. Doesn't that sound like fun?

I agree!!! Two wheels too many...Although I did finish 3rd in my last race! :yo:

I will post pics after Tuesday's mini-racer ride. BTW, Odonata's current Avatar is him on his 50cc derbi, on a kart track...

Griff
twoeleven

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I go to Dromo a lot here in Southern California. It's a blast. I also took a three day karting class in Oxnard. By the time I was finished I was within 1 second of my instructors. I love it. It's such a blast and as someone who used to race motorcycles and broke too many bones doing that, it's a great alternative. The full racing karts can do over 100 and at 2 inches off the ground, that's pretty fast. As far as racing goes, it's as close as I could get to the rush I got from racing motorcycles and, although it is expensive to get your own cart start racing, it's one of the cheapest forms of racing you can find.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Looks like you had a great time John :yo:

This summer i went go karting with my oldest boy and a nephew and it was a blast. :)
Of course the next day i wanted to buy a used kart, but gave up the idea in the end because i know i don't have time for it :bawling:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Maximum Velocity said:
I do too. But watch out... :jsm: I commenced on the indoor tracks and ended on outdoor tracks doing races on an international level. It's pretty addicting but also very expensive to do it on a high level. Never would have wanted to miss it though :yo:
Pretty cool :smoking:

Do you still have a kart?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
MV-999R said:
Pretty cool :smoking:

Do you still have a kart?
Yup, I still have the kart and three engines I used in the last racing season. Sadly I didn't use it six or seven years now. Have do race the thing next year a few times at least :drummer:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Sounds like a great time! John, don't feel bad that your son kicked your arse... remember power/weight ratio?

I have been to a 2 day Karting school here in California, it was a lot of fun but brutal on the body! I remember being very sore and bruised from it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts