MV Agusta Forum banner

Just purchased SPR #171 brand new

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  style_one 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Im new to the forum. Been searching for months for a brand new SPR. Luckily I walked into a NY dealer who had one in a crate!!!!!!!!!
Not only had the bike, service was excellent and the price could not be beat!!

I am very fussy about my vehicles and though the SPR is drop dead gorgeous I can see how easy the finish marks. Any suggestions on cleaning would be greatly appreciated.

Right now it has 4 dyno miles on it. I will ride it once the wether here in NY improves.

Look forward to talking with you guys in the near future

James

#3 · (Edited)
Congrats! I recently purchased an SPR (#184, June of this year) from a dealership in Idaho. Like yours it was brand new and crated. Trust me, you will love this bike. As far as the cleaning goes I think I have found a system that works well. Yes, the matte black paint finish is finicky an it will "mark up" with the slightest scrape but these marks can be taken care of. Only the nastiest of scratches will not come out.

I wash mine as I have with any other bike. Try the S100 cleaning products; they are really good. Once done washing, dry it off as best you can (a blower is ideal) and then take a good silicone based tire shine spray and spray it liberally on the bike. I'm not kidding here. This stuff works really well, especially on the matte black paint and areas such as the swing arm. Once done you will notice that any marks that you may have had will be gone. The matte paint is like a chalkboard and if you remember from school, the only way to get those "erased" chalk marks completely off is to wipe the board with a wet cloth. This spray does the same AND conditions the paint. It also conditions the plastic and rubber parts of the bike really well. Careful with it around the instrument cluster and electronics. Although I have yet to have a problem with screwing up my bikes electronics with water or other liquids I am still extremely carefull.

Once you spray it on the bike let it sit for a good 30 minutes to let it "set in". Then you can take a lint free rag (a slightly wet synthetic chamois works great) and wipe down any spray that may have pooled on the bike. For instance there will be some on the wheels at the bottom. Your bike will now have a nice sheen to it and it lasts a good long time. I have done this method 3 times since I bought my bike and the paint is holding up extremely well. This spray keeps the paint conditioned and prohibits fading which is a common problem with matte finishes. It seems to work the same way that wax does for clear coat finishes.

One point of caution though: once your done be careful on the first ride. These silicone based sprays can be slippery and you are bound to get it on your tires while spraying the bike. Take it easy on the first few turns of your intital ride, at least until the spray wears of the tires and you have good fresh rubber exposed.

I hope all this helps. Keep in touch as I would like to compare notes on any mods and information you have. Happy riding!

#4 ·
Congrats on your purchase! (I've got SPR #290.)

dgalleo...thanks for you tips on the care of the matte black, I've had my bike new since december but hadn't done anything but wash it gently w/ some water. I so used to applying a nice coat of wax to my bikes...w/ the SPR this doesn't appear to be possible. Tire shine stuff? I'd be interested in hearing more about this!

#5 ·
SPR171 said:
Hello all,
Im new to the forum. Been searching for months for a brand new SPR. Luckily I walked into a NY dealer who had one in a crate!!!!!!!!!
Not only had the bike, service was excellent and the price could not be beat!!

I am very fussy about my vehicles and though the SPR is drop dead gorgeous I can see how easy the finish marks. Any suggestions on cleaning would be greatly appreciated.

Right now it has 4 dyno miles on it. I will ride it once the wether here in NY improves.

Look forward to talking with you guys in the near future

James

If you don't mind answering.. how much did you pay for your SPR? I'll share the same info then.. ;)

#6 ·
I have found two products that I can not live without, both are Silicone based and perform the same way as previously described

Try...

Shell Advance Silicone Spray - Its actually branded as 'High Performance Bike Protection'

and

Motorex from Switzerland 'Protect abd Shine' 645.

Both are spray on and wipe off products, but the sheen they leave on all. but particularly plastic, carbon, the swingarm...there is none better, and I ve tried a few!

#7 ·
SPR171, I got my SPR from Beaudry Motorsports in Post Falls, Idaho this past srping for just a hair over 20K. This price included setup and freight to my front door in North Carolina. I highly recommend this dealership. They are really, really good. Tom Murphy there is top notch.

#8 ·
dgalleo said:
SPR171, I got my SPR from Beaudry Motorsports in Post Falls, Idaho this past srping for just a hair over 20K. This price included setup and freight to my front door in North Carolina. I highly recommend this dealership. They are really, really good. Tom Murphy there is top notch.
Where do you get this silicone spray you mentioned.. does it make the matte bodywork shiny? I wish I could just wax it with some Xymol and be done with it!

#13 ·
i found the cleaning solution
did it and works beautifully!!

dawn dish soap, luke warm water THE ABSORBER chamois cloth

damp sponge with mix apply in circles to work out oil and marks, dry with absorber in straight lines, bike will dry evenly and leave no marks!!!!!!

now machine looks even more amazing!!!!!

also let me know is there are ever any USA meetings of MV owners id like to get off Long Island, scary to ride here no regard from cars and roads are awful!!!!!!

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.