MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had valves checked at 33.550 mi. tech determined they had never been adjusted because he stripped out one of cam bolts and indicated it had never been taken of before. Anyway, intakes were right in the middle, but exhaust were at the edge of loose end. Have read that aggressive riding tends to tighten valves, while babying tends to loosen. previous owner said he never exceeded 9000 rpm. My question: do you think aggressive riding will improve, do nothing, or worsen exhaust valve tolerance?

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
You only get larger clearances when deposits on the seats cause it.....run some decarboning treatment and be happy.

Yamaha Ring Free....Mercury Marine Instant Tune-Up (??)...stuff like that.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
...and run the appropriate octane.

Running a higher octane because you think it will make more power is a recipe to carbon up your valve train.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
Yes, I do.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
Not to derail this thread too far...but, you have me thinking I should run a lower octane than specified to make up for the lack of heat energy in ethanol fuels.....

I'm going to try that for a bit. Run a lower octane until I hear pinging, then go up one grade.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cold starts and revving too soon cause a bigger effect..
You have to rev time to time when engine is hot, to decarbon some parts always too "cold" in the head and pistons.
Cheers

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
I run 89 octane (USA R+M/2) with no problems, Chuck.....

And always add an ethanol treatment.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
Hi Ed! I use the Stabil product with ethanol treatment....it help with my M.B.S. (Multiple Bike Syndrome) problem. I haven't had any problems...yet...but this does have me thinking.:smoking:

(P.S. Book your flights yet? We did!:yo:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info. Running 91 octane in arizona. We don't even have emission checks in the high country, but I suspect the ethanol blend is the same as everywhere else. So...Yamaha Ring Free or Sta-Bil?
All the time or just a bottle?

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
I am not a Sta-Bil fan...Ring Free is a periodic de-carbon agent. One time treatment.

I like StarTron a lot for ethanol treatment (and so do a lot of professional MC techs I have talked to) but have recently been using the Liquid Performance stuff. Pretty impressive.

I only put it in the tank after I get home from a ride....pour it in, shake it up and run the engine to be certain it has gotten all the way through the system.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
So, now you are going to make me do research on the chemical content of Star-Tron v. Sta-Bil....

FWIW, I have used Sta-Bil product for eons and have had no ill effect....for instance, my 748s was last started at the BUb trackday. Yesterday I turned the key pushed-da-button and off she goes. Same fuel that I bough in Alabama.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have used Sta-Bil and the Star-Tron products.
Good results with both.
I have only been using Star-Tron for the last 5 years though.
Star-Tron seems a little more concentrated, and has done very well in my antique vehicles w/brass fittings, no issues as yet.

Ed :)

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Basic Sta-Bil is not an ethanol treatment...though they now have a version that is.
I've used it before, too....but it is "old school"....technology marches on.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
Is Star-Tron a fuel stabilizer?

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know much about the MV being I am awaiting delivery of one. But I have a Honda ST1300 that I have rode easy with a 106K on it and Valve checks are a 16K requirement according to the manufacturer. I have had maybe 3 done and each time they were in spec.

I have the same intentions for the MV as well. I know it will never see redline. I rode it and I love the bike, but I am buying it for local hops to bike nights, coffee shops etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts