MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got my first big capacity bike - was looking at GSXRs but this came up for the same money locally and so I went for it pretty quickly.

It's 2001, 4600 miles - hardly been used. One owner since new and no mechanical issues, new sprocket, chain and back tyre. Needs a really good clean as it's been largely in storage for many a year. Idling was a little lumpy for 20-30 seconds and then smoothed out. I'm still partway through taking my DAS test so I've yet to ride it!

What I'd like to know is, is there any specific maintenance I should be looking to do, or things to look for or check over?

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi all,

hardly been used. One owner since new and no mechanical issues, new sprocket, chain and back tyre. Needs a really good clean as it's been largely in storage for many a year. Idling was a little lumpy for 20-30 seconds and then smoothed out. I'm still partway through taking my DAS test so I've yet to ride it!
reminds me of my first (and only) large woman

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Welcome aboard. Did you get the owners manual? If not, they can be downloaded. It has the scheduled maintenance in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard. Did you get the owners manual? If not, they can be downloaded. It has the scheduled maintenance in it.
Haha thanks guys. Yeah Im in the UK, near London. Pretty sure the guy has all the paperwork and manual, was moreso wondering if there was anything specific I should be looking/listening for etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like the one that sold on e-bay, 3 days ago for just over £5k.

Good luck with it, but I'm not sure I would want an MV for my first bike after passing the DSA test. :jsm:

·
Administrator
18,850 Posts
Proper rear hub bearing service (due at 7500 miles I think) and proper chain adjustment (in the photo you posted it looks a bit tight to me). This is an area that can lead to high repair cost and potential reliability problems if not taken care of. Overly tight chains, over tightened pinch bolts on swing arm and pressure washing the grease out of the hub are items I would suggest being careful about.
The engine is reliable as a rock, as is most of the rest of the bike.

Oh, yeah...and watch out for stupid grins appearing on your face as you twist the throttle....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the one that sold on e-bay, 3 days ago for just over £5k.

Good luck with it, but I'm not sure I would want an MV for my first bike after passing the DSA test. :jsm:
You got me - 5100 - think it was a good price? Not that I mind too much as I am completely chuffed. I think I'll be alright as long as I take it slowly, not expecting to be reaching anywhere near it's potential for some time...

Proper rear hub bearing service (due at 7500 miles I think) and proper chain adjustment (in the photo you posted it looks a bit tight to me). This is an area that can lead to high repair cost and potential reliability problems if not taken care of. Overly tight chains, over tightened pinch bolts on swing arm and pressure washing the grease out of the hub are items I would suggest being careful about.
The engine is reliable as a rock, as is most of the rest of the bike.

Oh, yeah...and watch out for stupid grins appearing on your face as you twist the throttle....

Haha thanks for this - will definately check these areas over then, really helpful!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Welcome to the cult. Your bike kinda looks like mine.....and his......and his.......and his :naughty: Just wondering where the side fairing decals went ? Has the bike been repainted or repaired ?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Good luck with the test, and the new bike, take it easy until you get used to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the cult. Your bike kinda looks like mine.....and his......and his.......and his :naughty: Just wondering where the side fairing decals went ? Has the bike been repainted or repaired ?
Thanks! I checked the panels and asked about that - they're original - he said the edges peeled and he just took them off. I'd like to get them back on - think I saw a set on emoto or something?

·
Registered
753 Posts
congrats matey, wish i had got something like that for my first bike.
where you at fella, am down in woking if you fancy a spin when you pass

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congrats, she's a beauty. Good luck with your test, you sure have something to look forward to:) Tell the owner that there is no way he could have taken the side decals off, since they are under a clear coat. Did you take the fairings off to see what's going on underneath? No need for you to worry, just to check that everything is as it should be. If I were you, I would take the fairings off and post some pictures of the left and right sides.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
All decals are cleared from the factory. Theres something going on. The decals are missing from BOTH sides. It's not like he dropped it on one side and did a quick fix. It may not even be a factory lower on the bike. I would definitly dismantel and inspect it. The inner panels on the factory plastic will have heat barriers on them. If these are missing then it's obvious what has happened.

·
Registered
521 Posts
They could well be aftermarket fairings, but imho if everything else is o.k with the bike, he should not be worried. Some pictures could help!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Roger that. Post some pics.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts