MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just got my first MV, a 2004 F4 SPR, #268/300.

I've had it less than a week, had the chance for 2 long rides, nothing crazy, but it's a lot of fun.

Here's a pic.

A couple of questions/help needed pls - are there adjustable footpegs/rearsets available for this bike that someone can suggest?

Has anyone else noticed that the gearbox is a bit "clunky"? I find it to be akin to an old race/sports car with a gearshift that you have to be very firm with. Finding neutral is a bit of a hassle at times...thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Safe rides and stay healthy!

JM
Carmel, IN
USA

Reactions: italia

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome!
To your first question, the standard footpegs are adjustable.
I have a later generation F4 which is the only MV I have ridden. My gearbox is very smooth and neutral isn't a problem. Could it be your clutch isn't fully disengaging and drags ever so slightly? Perhaps bleeding the clutch might fix your issue. It's certainly something quick and easy to try.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
My niece lives in Carmel!
Your gearbox is a close ratio box. Make sure your oil is up to par and is 10W60.
As fit those rear sets, they are adjustable. Remove, or loosen, the two bolts holding the rear set on, then reach behind the hub of the rear set with the appropriate box end wrench and loosen that nut. Now position and snug thing back up. You can aid positioning by using a wide flat blade screwdriver in the slot visible on the outside of the rear set hub.

Reactions: jmerv

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Quite a few options for rearsets. Check our sponsors.

Oil type (I use eni) can affect clutch control. Many threads on this. Also an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder helps a lot.

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
The SPR is a very special bike....hand ported head, titanium valves, close ratio gearbox, upgraded suspension from the standard F4 750.....
I have #275.... My transmission is smooth as glass. Clutch bleed with fresh fluid and good proper oil are important.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the help. I hope to fix the gearbox "clunky-ness", and reduce/fit what are for me is a little severe foot position/knee bend, and I think it is going to be a lovely bike. I do appreciate the help - stay safe/healthy!

JM

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hello from West Oz.
That is a very special bike you've found, enjoy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Congrats on landing one of the really special MV's -- I have an SR -- Same SPR engine, but in a more standard chassis and suspension - The Gearbox in mine is by far the best gearbox I've tried in any of the bikes I've owned .. Only slight hassle is finding Neutral -- Maybe check the clutch (Fluid, e.t.c.)?

·
Registered
560 Posts
That is a beauty! Sort it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts