MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was quite a day. :king: I left to head up to Ferracci's from MD, a 129 mile trip each way, around 8am this morning. Stopped at Cracker Barrel and enjoyed a fat boy breakfast, and then jetted the rest of the way up to Willow Grove.

After arriving I pretty much felt like a kid at Christmas. The F4 1000S wasn't exactly what I expected. First, it seemed huge..and I was kind of on my tippy toes, and I'm 6ft. With my CBR I sit more ON it, than inside, and with the MV it felt more like INTO it. Starting it up was pure pleasure and the exhaust note exactly what I was hoping for. The clutch was really smooth and thankfully I didnt even come close to stalling it out or doing something to make a fool of myself or better yet, buy myself a new paperweight. Surprisingly, I didnt really feel that nervous pulling out or opening it up for the first time. I think the bacon grease, biscuit gravy, and hashbrowns kind of drugged my nervous system and thus I felt really mellow and not too worried about damaging it.

The power. God, the power. To be honest, I really don't have much else to compare it to seeing that my CBR is my second bike, with my first being an anemic Royal Enfield. Cracking the throttle open caused my testicles to crawl up in me and set up camp..in a good way. It kind of took my breath away. I'm know that some of you are pretty jaded, with experience riding Hayabusas, R1s, Fireblades, etc. so your first ride may have not been that big of a deal but with what I'm used to it was exhilarating.

I was kind of surprised with the route we took and the length. I was expecting us to be led to the end of the street, turned around, brought back, with a salesman saying, "Now that you've had the chance to experience the MV Agusta what's it going to take to have you leave with one today?" All of the staff there were very friendly, made me feel at ease, with no sales pressure. As far as the ride its now kind of a blur. I remember that I went a little too hot into the first couple of corners but the brakes were excellent. Also, a few minutes into the ride it started to feel as though the insides of my thighs were melting from the heat coming up from the engine into the tank. That was really my only complaint about the bike, but to actually gripe about it is like dating a supermodel, then begrudging that her big toe is crooked. There were a few twisties we went through, and that, along with some straight out acceleration, was the highlight of my ride. The F4 just felt so incredibly planted. I felt that the only way something would go bad was if I grabbed the brake on a turn or something.

I truly feel that today was a turning point in my life as crazy as it sounds. I've always had a problem with delayed gratification and waiting to get what I want. With a price tag of $21,795 I really dont have a choice but for the first time since I can ever remember I actually don't mind. It might be a year before I can get my F4, ten years, or possibly more. I'm just really happy that I had my chance to ride one and experience it for myself. Today was more than enough to last me until the day (hopefully soon) that I plunk down the ducats.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions! and thank you to the two gentlemen at Ferracci's who took my group out on the demo. Also thank you for those that actually made it though this long-winded post.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Aloysius, great write up, good to hear that it all went so well. Many of us here have had to wait some time to be able to afford our MV's...our beloved Admin is still waiting. :conveyer:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rockethouse said:
Aloysius, great write up, good to hear that it all went so well. Many of us here have had to wait some time to be able to afford our MV's...our beloved Admin is still waiting. :conveyer:
Heh! Thank you for saying that because I was beginning to feel like the one boy at school without shoes. :p I forgot to mention that I spoke with Allan Lane while I was there and he made it even worse by mentioning a customer that recently purchased a Senna, along with RG3 exhaust, PowerCommander, and a quickshifter. Now there's even more I've got to take onto the $21k. sigh.

I think its really great how supportive everyone here is, regardless if they own an MV or not. I was worried that some people what have a "haves and have-nots" attitude or that I would deal with something like that at Ferraccis. It actually ended up being the complete opposite, with everyone sharing at least one thing in common..a love for the MV. I know its something I feel. The first time I ever heard/saw one gave me the same feeling I had when a woman sang "Ave Maria"(sp?) at my grandfathers funeral ten years ago. Shivers down my spine and involuntary tearing in my eyes.

Spaulding12, Thank you!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
spalding12 said:
well put
that's one of the many great things about this fine forum
there has never been any have and have-not attitude here
just a nice bunch of folks who love great bikes
I absolutely second that thought - great bunch of people here more than willing to share experiences and their love of motorcycling & the MV Agusta marque. Like you, I'm going through the decision process but my wife told me today that if the bike makes my knees turn into jelly, just go for it - whether that's today, tomorrow or in a year from today. So when I get back from vacation, I'm heading straight for my dealer and give the 910s a thorough test drive. If she rocks my world, I'm going to drive out with a new scooter. (black with the red frame of course - it's the faster color you know) Best of luck and hopefully your dream is realized sooner rather than later. Keep the faith, the F4 will be in the garage sooner than you realize.

Stuart

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking of test drives Greg, have you managed to hitch a ride on one of this things yet? If anyone deserves a test drive, it's you my friend. Keep me/us posted.

Stuart

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Aloysius, I am happy to see you have had a life altering experience... it certainly was the same for me when I test rode the MV for the 1st time 7 month ago.

I am not sure about the actual % but I think a lot of people here are MVless... I have been waiting for 7 month for my 1st MV(Senna 1000) to arrive in 4 weeks. Last Dec. I test rode the MV and placed a deposit for the Senna and 2 days later I joined this great forum, since then I have learned a whole lot about "the greatest bikes in the world" from many knowledgable and friendly people here and made many friends.

My wait has been long but hardly unbearable because of this forum and the people on it, just be patient and I am sure one day you will have yours... soon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Aloysius said:
I've always had a problem with delayed gratification and waiting to get what I want. With a price tag of $21,795 I really dont have a choice but for the first time since I can ever remember I actually don't mind. It might be a year before I can get my F4, ten years, or possibly more.
I understand exactly where you're coming from. I agonized over getting an F4 for a whole 2 weeks (impatience), then finally decided there is an elemental truth to the old cliche', "You only live once". I decided to raid my IRA and eat the penalty. I only took out enough so that the financed piece would be manageable. When I mentioned this to a friend, he said it was stupid, it's supposed to be for retirement. I responded that I may not live long enough to retire (rationalization. I'm 56). When I bounced the idea off my 16 year old son, he said to me: "You only live once, dad; go for it" I like the way he thinks. :)

Good luck to you in realizing your desire.

Ciao,
John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts