MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: Dead still in a parking lot in front of a motorcycle shop on the way home from purchasing the 312. Kickstand wasn't all the way down and I was half-way off the bike, over she came. Just a couple of minor scuffs (barely noticeable and it identifies her as mine) and a snapped the end of the clutch lever (new one arrives on Thursday). Been riding for over 40 years and I guess stuff still just happens.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Not The first & hot The last.

Oh Man, I feel for you - stupid stuff like that really gets in your head, gald to hear it turned as good as could be expected. BTW I love your attitude. :smoking:

We have ALL done it at one time or another, especially after a long 'trouble free' period we tend to get complacent whether we admit it not.

My wife last Tuesday was riding her Moto Guzzi out the driveway she saw our neighbour and stopped because she wanted to talk to her - anyhow, she stopped with the back wheel on driveway & the front wheel on the road - of course when she went to put her foot down, she realised there was the 'dip' and as she is not 6'5" she was never going to reach the ground before the bike got past 45degress - the rest is histroy. She also got lucky - clutch lever snapped (fixed next morning) & the centrestand lever held the bike off the ground not a scratch anywhere. She did jar her leg tho as she valiantly tired to hold the 200kg beast up before succumbing - God bless her :)

Good luck with the new bike - I am sure you'll love it notwitstanding the insupicious start. :)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Oh Man, I feel for you - stupid stuff like that really gets in your head, gald to hear it turned as good as could be expected. BTW I love your attitude. :smoking:

We have ALL done it at one time or another, especially after a long 'trouble free' period we tend to get complacent whether we admit it not.

My wife last Tuesday was riding her Moto Guzzi out the driveway she saw our neighbour and stopped because she wanted to talk to her - anyhow, she stopped with the back wheel on driveway & the front wheel on the road - of course when she went to put her foot down, she realised there was the 'dip' and as she is not 6'5" she was never going to reach the ground before the bike got past 45degress - the rest is histroy. She also got lucky - clutch lever snapped (fixed next morning) & the centrestand lever held the bike off the ground not a scratch anywhere. She did jar her leg tho as she valiantly tired to hold the 200kg beast up before succumbing - God bless her :)

Good luck with the new bike - I am sure you'll love it notwitstanding the insupicious start. :)

Rob, that's two hiccups over Moto Guzzis in the last few months.........:wtf:

·
Registered
652 Posts
We have ALL done it at one time or another,
Geez ok ok - ditto for me too - my baby's first bubble bath - I moved it forward to finish the wheels. Not enough attention to the sidestand and over it went ...like slow motion - fortunately(?) on to me in a semi-crouched position so I had little leverage to bring it back up and had my leg pinned underneath. Once the family got over the "humour" of it they helped me get it back up embarrassing given it was in the front drive way in full fiew of neighbourhood :blush:

No trauma to the bike but I trauma enough for me NEVER to do it again.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Rob, that's two hiccups over Moto Guzzis in the last few months.........:wtf:
Yes Randy you are right & I did point that out to Lou - I am telling her the new Brutale 675 would be a much better bike for her :) :) :) She likes the idea but doesn't want to sell the Guzzi nor her Vespa, simply add it to her collection - I wonder where she gets that from :confused:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Yes Randy you are right & I did point that out to Lou - I am telling her the new Brutale 675 would be a much better bike for her :) :) :) She likes the idea but doesn't want to sell the Guzzi nor her Vespa, simply add it to her collection - I wonder where she gets that from :confused:
Can't argue with the Vespa.....I just bought Jackie one. :)

·
Vendor
5,360 Posts
micwhitt1,done it myself,lucky all fairing panels were off,she went over gently in the garage onto some carpet so no damage to the bike,but my little finger got caught under the handle bar and disslocated the finger (fuckin bike tried to kill me) off to emergency for 6 hours. Just make sure the stand is fully extended before leaning the bike over.I am sure you will in the future anyhow.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Tamburini was home sick the day they taught kickstand design in school.

If I park my F4 anywhere in public, I use a bungee to hold the stand to the front disc. You never know when someone's going to feel they're allowed to sit on it for a cheeky photo or see how heavy it is as you're chatting and putting on your helmet. Even after modifying the spring plate so it wont auto-retract, I still don't trust it fully.

Si

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Is my 750 stand different? I havent had much issue beyond it feeling loose from time to time (and just needing to be tightened down) and rubbing on a spot on both the factory bodywork and the carbon fiber where the spring is.

Being said I have dropped it. I was on it though and was able to slow it down so the only real damage was a scratch on the mirror (since replaced), scratch on the phonic cover (also replaced but I need to get some sort of guard for it) and a scratch on the airbox from my watch, where my wrist got pinned between the handlebar and the airbox because the PO had moved the bars way back.

My technique for keeping asses (that arent mine) off my bike is a two-parter. First I have a cable lock that I run through the frame and my helmet to lock my helmet down on the seat, second I have the factory alarm sent to "sensitive" so tilting the bike results in an ear piercing scream.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Locked myself out of the house years back. Forced open the back garage door which was blocked by a lawn tractor which was behind my 916 and GSXR1K. Pushed hard on the door which pushed the lawn tractor into the rear wheels of the bikes which pushed the bikes foward and down they went. It was dark and I was freaked trying to get to the light switch and I stepped in a pan of anti freeze and fell on my ass.:ahhh:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Locked myself out of the house years back. Forced open the back garage door which was blocked by a lawn tractor which was behind my 916 and GSXR1K. Pushed hard on the door which pushed the lawn tractor into the rear wheels of the bikes which pushed the bikes foward and down they went. It was dark and I was freaked trying to get to the light switch and I stepped in a pan of anti freeze and fell on my ass.:ahhh:
Too bad you didn't have a security cam - that would have been some great video!! :stickpoke

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ouch!
I too have had my side stand misshap. On Christmas morning 2008, I was warming up my 07 HD Softail Custom (sold) to go for a ride. I was sitting on the bike and got up after a couple of minutes. Well my dopey ass forgot that I had put side stand up, so over she went! I did "cat crashing into the door" move & quickly looked around to see if any neighbors witnessed my mega-doofus move. Fortunately not! A minor scratch on the rider peg & left side mirror edge was all she suffered.
Glad to hear your bike had minimal damage & you're dealing with it positively.
On a freaky note, I once had a Honda CBR600 fall over after I parked it on blacktop on a hot summer day. As I walked away from the bike I heard a crash. I was like WTF I put the side stand down. Well there was an air pocket beneath the blacktop & the side stand punched through it. If I had parked the bike 6" for or aft it would not have punched through. Now I always "test" the firmness when parking on blacktop.
Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I pulled up to the bike shop one day and hopped off without putting the side stand down. Completely forgot until the bike rolled over on it's side. Salesman standing there watching. you only have to do that once

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

You win.......:stickpoke

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
iamlance definitely has the best story.

·
Vendor
5,360 Posts
What about my finger,it will never be the same.I should get "MV did this" tattooed on it.:banghead:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got to go with Lance's mishap. Picturing that in my mind it could be a scene from a Stooges flick:ahhh:.
...Though we may have a contest brewing for the title of "Dopiest thing I ever did regarding my bike!"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts