MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

After 6 years on a Ducati ST2 and 4 years of having no bike anymore, all of a sudden this little beauty came up for sale near my home.
It's a 910S Gladio (nr35/400), with km on the clock and a clean maintenance history.
Previous owner replaced front bearings and SPU

It also has a nice list of mods:
Rizoma mirrors, rearsets and front indicators
Carbon tail with tail tidy and brake light/indicators integrated
Carbon dash cover, keyguard, chainguard, rear fender and headlight cover
Custom made crash protectors
Matris Steering damper
upgraded SPU
Decat midpipe with Corse chip

Bike drives great, right now waiting on my license plates to take it out for a real spin instead of a testrun :)

Also got a disc lock, chain lock, 2 paddock stands and new headers with it (one of the current headers has a small dent in the bottom).

The only thing I noticed is that the passenger seat is insanely slippery, to the point where my girlfriend just slides around in a way that is unbearable for the both of us. Since the bike has some mileage, the rear seat is a bit discoloured and the front has some wear & tear. I was thinking of having it re-upholstered with a look as close as possible to the original. Would it be a big improvement, grip-wise, to have the seats done in alcantara instead of leather?

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Welcome to the family!!!
My lady also slips a bit on the pillion, but we blame it on her riding pants!

You might send a PM to Ade about recovering your seats. He makes some very tastefully done work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Though I do appreciate the suggestion, I'd probably have it upholstered here in belgium rather than order one outside of the EU. Larger packets rarely pass customs without being smacked with 50% tax or more, which most of the time makes this ridiculously expensive.
The ST2 also had a bit of slip, but this rear seat feels like it has been polished and waxed for ultimate slipperyness :D

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
The Gladio (yours is an SP12) is my favorite of the Special Parts Brutales, even over the Mamba. I love it. Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Gladio (yours is an SP12) is my favorite of the Special Parts Brutales, even over the Mamba. I love it. Enjoy. :)
I'll do my best to enjoy, good weather coming in later this week so that should be not a problem :)

What is the difference between an SP12 and an SP13 Gladio kit? Can't really find a lot of details about it online, is it just the base bike (910S/R) or does it go further?

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
I'll do my best to enjoy, good weather coming in later this week so that should be not a problem :)

What is the difference between an SP12 and an SP13 Gladio kit? Can't really find a lot of details about it online, is it just the base bike (910S/R) or does it go further?
Both have the same painted parts. The SP12 is the base SP kit, and didn't have all the carbon bits included; and had forged aluminum Marchesini 10-spokes like the F4 Ago, Tamburini, and Senna II.

Yours could be an SP13 with the wheels and a few carbon pieces sold off, since it has some of the carbon. Much more likely, the carbon was added to the base bike and kit.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The painted parts are the unique Gladio distinction. And it's a striking design, IMHO. Mine is an SP13 on a red-framed 910S. And though I've kept the Marchesinis in storage, it now has magnesium stars painted MV silver with red stars to match the frame (like the F4 Senna I, but magnesium).

And since the Gladio is a set of special parts, you could swap the Gladio parts any time to a newer bike with low mileage if you ever chose to do so. You can sell the Brutale, but you don't have to sell the Gladio bits.

Gladios are few and far between, though much more rare in the US. There are only a handful over here. Glad to see you got yours. You won't regret it, and nobody will know what it is without asking. LOL.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes indeed, much appreciated.
I mailed them to see if they could do some custom stitching as well, I'd love to incorporate the gladio-look from the fuel tank into the seat :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got my plates and took the bike for a first spin

battery was dead so had to push-start it

first problem arose: the speedo is totally unstable. even at a standstill, the speed fluctuates between 3km/h and 13km/h at random, and when taking of immediately shoots up to 40-50. When i'm following cars on a 70km/h road, it's somewhere inbetween 140 and 200. I turned it off and on again, but to no solution. What could this be?

second weird thing happened when i arrived home. during the ride no issues, but i stopped, took my helmet and gloves off and let the bike idle for about 2 minutes. temp was about 92° and the fan was on. I turned of the contact and seconds after, some rubber hose spit out coolant. i first thought I had a major leak, but it simply dumped coolant (it tasted sweet so i know it's not another fluid)

anybode who can help me out here ?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Hey Jeroen! Welcome here; I just noticed. Great Brutale the Gladio :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Another note on the speedo issue: the bike has been fitted with a shift indicator. it seems to pickup some signal, but it is totally not accurate. the only thing it reads fine is neutral, but once you start driving or shifting it jumps up to 6th gear waaaay too fast and then goes into some circling motion of the digits.
so as both the speedo and the gear indicator seem to be haywire, i assume they both are getting signal from the sensor but it's just a shit signal ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im assuming the shift indicator is built into the dash, on the tach side? this was an upgrade that a lot of owners did to their bikes. It uses the speed and rpm in the dash to "tell" what gear it is in, because your bike is reading way fast, the indicator is going to 6th gear. for now i would say the indicator is fine, you just have to find the under lying issue with the speedo.

about the coolant puking... my bike does that on occasion. although the Brutale doesnt run "hot" compared to the F4, it runs hotter then i would like, if left to idle for any period of time it will get rather warm, and then if you shut it off, with no coolant flow, im assuming a few hotspots in the motor cause the coolant to boil a bit, which spikes the pressure and causes some minor puking.

in my case its never more then an ounce or two and only when really hot or if i shut it off after an extended idle. i was able to minimize/eliminate it a lot by updating the cooling system. I added the updated MV pump, muzzy fans, water and water wetter, cat delete etc... made a huge difference in bikes cooling

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
cat delete is already on the bike, i read something about a 'yellow dot cap' so i'm gonna check if I have that. if not, caps are cheap so i'll buy one.
is it normal for my bike to have only 1 fan? i know my ducati and several other brutale's had 2 fans

//edit: I found 2 used but working speed sensors for 50EUR on ebay, however both are marked to be for a F4 750. Visually they look the same as the one on my 910S B4, is this the same unit?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok, got to the coolant reservoir. the cap is really really right and I simply cannot get it off. either my hands are too large for servicing this bike, or there is locktite on it, but that cap is on hella tight

·
Registered
70 Posts
08 and up brutales get smaller dual fans (one on either side of radiator) the older bikes had a slightly larger single fan. My radiator cap was the same, but I was able to get it off

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
after about 20 minutes i've given up, i can't even move it for a millimeter :/

how visible should coolant be in the tank? i can't really see the coolant level when looking into it from the side, but I remember from my oil chevrolet truck that the bottle was just so unclear that it would look empty when I had filled it to the top.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts