MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, she is special to me..:)

I began building this bike in my dining room one evening in 2009 as I was "a bit bored"..

The basis for the build was " an incomplete motorcycle " registered 2009 as that is what the authorities require for the whole project to be permitted for road use. and a great big bag of bolts and fasteners given to me by Carl CAG ,,,down in his basement ..I still recall him asking me if I had heard of mvagusta.net ...Well, I have now :)

I had bits of it in boxes and in the shed and in the cupboard in my dining room too..Once I had started it became a kind of obsession !

I was soon told that I had the wrong wheels and the wrong forks for the model of bike, 1000R. I'd fitted Showa forks...Elementary error !
So I went out and bought some "New" Marzocchis from Germany
I also located a set of the correct Ultralights .Then I changed my mind and fitted these superb Mag Oro Stars which came in from a Forum member in Belgium.

The Ultralights now live in Massachusetts in the good ol USA and I delivered them in person !

Around the time when I was working with the cooling system our forum members Donsy and Noel were developing an enhanced F4 cooling system based on the Brutale. Interestingly this system was also adopted by MV Agusta for their MY10 models...

The system dispenses with the old intercooler and it's yards of plumbing and the bottom water radiator. In its place go a pressurised Radiator and a dedicated oil cooler,

So I had a bright idea ( rare ! ) of utilizing a MY 2010 cooling system and transplanting it into the F4. Is it possible ? Yes. Is it simple ? Yes....Is it easy to turn the theory into practice ? No :smoking:

But I know people and I got hold of the cooling system from Mark at Timemachine uk...Mark had also supplied an immaculate 800 miles :mouthwateengine complete with wiring and ecu for that particular engine. The poor thing didn't even know it was dismantled !

I also have a great ally in Henry Irvine at Alumacraft Motorsport who is a mate and a consumate welder of any metal you can think of and A great motorcycle engineer.

So the build progressed and I got to know a lot of good guys and gained knowledge steadily from the forums.

A Mitchy hub :smoking: was ordered for peace of mind as I do intend to roam far and wide on this bike...Well they aren't just for looking at are they ?

And I finally got her started ....No problems at all,,A couple of cranks to get the fuel through the pump and she fired right up....I had taken the step of opening the patio window and shutting all the other doors so I didn't literally fumigate the house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh4EWOJgbRA

I don't know what the neighbours thought of it to be honest. I think they now see the old git next door in a whole different light now :wtf:though !

So if it was a ship, she'd been launched but it took a whole lot of time fine tuning the fit of the fairings and airtubes and hoses and it was probably 12 months before I finally got her out the kitchen and into the garage.

On the morning of the MOT ( read state ) test, I put the bike at the road side, All my gear on and then the indicators wouldn't work and the oil cooler started to leak slightly at one of the hose joints...Not the best start I guess.:bawling:

So as I had a spare oil cooler I got the rectification work done by Henry and then swapped it over in one quick operation a week or two later.....

And she flew through the first MOT Test .:f4:.If she hadn't I think I would have had to leave the country in shame :jsm:

That was back in August and since then I've been travelling on my other bikes and the indicator issue came back..I've fixed the indicators now :smoking:

Yesterday I took her for a nice run to a favourite haunt of mine at Wellesbourne Warwickshire...The bike is a missile and as sweet as a nut...and she is all poised ready for a great season in 2015 :yo:

Well after I fit the correct battery tray for the heat deflector..

She's a great bike and sits well in the stable with my Laverda Jota..Two thoroughbreds for sure..

and the cooling system.Note the cool blue hoses and performance .......75 deg C in the cruise

Fandabidosie !

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congratulations! Beautiful bike, especially since you built it yourself. I sure wish I had the skill, time and patience to accomplish something like that! I envy you:highclap::mouthwate:yo:

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Love it. Looks very neat!

·
Registered
5,578 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great work! Just goes to show that anything is possible through this amazing group. I love the comment in the video "Hope the neighbours are asleep"

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well done Joe, roll on next summer!

It's brass monkeys up in Warwickshire today Chris..!

Thanks for the thumbs up.

I'm liking the upgraded cooling system. MY 2010 bikes dont have an actual temp read out in degrees so I have the added benefit of being able to see how efficient the system is and it is very good indeed. :)

I think that because the oil is being directly cooled by the oil cooler when cruising then when the bike does hit a bit of traffic and the coolant hots up, when the fans kick in it rapidly gets the heat down because the relatively cool oil is also acting as a heat sink.

In short the cooling system is ahead of the environment rather fighting a rear guard action which is what seems to be the issue with the 09 cooling system.
The oil gets hot as it isn't being directly cooled due to lack of a proper oil cooler.
..Then the bike goes into traffic and the coolant gets hot due to lack of airflow over the rads. The fans kick in when it's JTFL " just too flippin' late "

joe

I can muse over this over a pint of Guinness later lol

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm just surprised you built it in the kitchen, seems an inconvenient location for such a large project. Awesome results though, congrats and applause.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just surprised you built it in the kitchen, seems an inconvenient location for such a large project. Awesome results though, congrats and applause.
Ha yes, It's away from the "kitchen proper" and in the dining end.

and whilst there were a fair few man hours involved , physically it's not "big" as such...and it was a nice warm, well lit area to work in. :f4:

and lots of tea and cookies close at hand :) :smoking:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My daughter Victoria has done a nice painting on canvas in oils for my birthday yesterday. I'm kinda smiling a lot at her doing such a thoughtful thing for me...It's a moment in time captured beautifully on the first run out the bike had to a cherished destination at Charlecote, Wellesbourne in Warwickshire..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
How very cool is that!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts