MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first the 15 second leak from behind the water pump that somehow self corrected. Now on an hour ride to 5 Star Bar in Chicago the exhaust hanger bolts that go into the exhaust just fell out. Exhaust has been banging up and down on the tail tidy all the way there. Also have to ride all the way back like that. Melotti tail all banged up. One of the pipe ends is now kind of loose and shifts around. Hoping these lost bolts aren't just wedged somewhere waiting to drop into a critical moving part. :bawling:

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Sorry mate but you have to check those bolts often and a dab of loctite helps,Mitch.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear that ODJE and sorry to say, but doesn't that sound like careless dealer delivery? How long have you had the bike?
13 months

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
My Jota triple has a 180 firing order and is continually dismantling itself through vibration. last night I lost my tax disc ! I've had indicators drop off..The headlight undo itself,..the gear linkage disconnect...etc etc.

Also last night the instrument lights disconnected and I had to judge my speed on the motorway by the engine note..taking a calibration of sound as I passed under a streetlight at a feeder road befor being plunged into the dark abyss !

It's the nature of the beast..You get to know what to look for over time...Bit fed up bout tax disc tho..now I have to talk to the Government....;/

If you need a pan pipe joiner plate I have some..sounds like yours is loose...

also sounds like the bike hasn't been prepped for the road properly...

joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
So Do the democrats use blue and the republicans red..we are the opposite over here..I use red threadlock as that is easier to undo later..and I don't like David Cameron as he's too smooth

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
So first the 15 second leak from behind the water pump that somehow self corrected. Now on an hour ride to 5 Star Bar in Chicago the exhaust hanger bolts that go into the exhaust just fell out. Exhaust has been banging up and down on the tail tidy all the way there. Also have to ride all the way back like that. Melotti tail all banged up. One of the pipe ends is now kind of loose and shifts around. Hoping these lost bolts aren't just wedged somewhere waiting to drop into a critical moving part. :bawling:

Have a look between the swingarm and the back of the engine. Bolts often fall into that area.

Tighten your bolts up like the boys say..and check that you haven't lost your butterfly panpipe joiner plate. It's probably just loose. If you have pm me as I have just had a batch made in stainless steel.
joe

·
Registered
271 Posts
My Jota triple has a 180 firing order and is continually dismantling itself through vibration. last night I lost my tax disc ! I've had indicators drop off..The headlight undo itself,..the gear linkage disconnect...etc etc.

Also last night the instrument lights disconnected and I had to judge my speed on the motorway by the engine note..taking a calibration of sound as I passed under a streetlight at a feeder road befor being plunged into the dark abyss !

It's the nature of the beast..You get to know what to look for over time...Bit fed up bout tax disc tho..now I have to talk to the Government....;/

If you need a pan pipe joiner plate I have some..sounds like yours is loose...

also sounds like the bike hasn't been prepped for the road properly...

joe
yes , and their type of talk is $$$$

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Blue loctite is your best friend. I put it on every threaded part I touch.
+10 i use blue or red, which ever i find first. :naughty: learned my lesson when i lost my plate with braket and all on the highway:banghead:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Take this as your wake up call. Your life depends on you and the attention you pay to your motorcycle. I don't want to sound like your father scolding you for not picking up your room so just think of me as a good friend who cares about you.
Having nuts and bolts falling off your bike is not funny, it says loud and clear you need to pay attention. Remove the fairings, left right rear and front and give your bike the once over.
Those bolted connections that require specific torque values like the front axle and pinch bolts check them. Check your rear suspension completly and check the torque on all bolting. Check your controls and the fasteners for them, yes do use a thread locker and secure using the correct torque values.
Never use a thread locker on wellnuts due to the rubber that holds the nut actually secures things if properly tightened. If you use a thread locker on wellnuts chances are you will not be able to remove the bolt later because the whole wellnut will turn or you will tear the brass nut loose from the rubber portion.
Think of your motorcycle as if it were an airplane. Do a good pre-ride check looking for loose or missing fasteners, parts or issues that will cause problems once you are in the air. Check your tire pressures front and rear and check for objects stuck in the tires that could cause a life and death lose of air accident.
I am constantly checking/working on my bikes in one way or another because a big part of my motorcycling experience is wrenching on them in one way or another. Have I done some really dumb things? Oh yeah, but once I figured it out I corrected it right away.
One more thing before I send you to your room to think about it.
Never drink alcohol or use drugs and ride your bike. All of your tools like balance and judgment are impared under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If you drink or smoke a joint stay off the bike. I like my beer and rum just as much as anyone but I never even think about riding my bike when I have been drinking. I have a damaged collar bone to sholder joint to remind me of that reality from 40 years ago when I was young and dumb.

·
Administrator
19,861 Posts
So Do the democrats use blue and the republicans red..we are the opposite over here..I use red threadlock as that is easier to undo later..and I don't like David Cameron as he's too smooth

Ahhh but Lee is most definitely a Republican.!!! and they are RED....something to do with always being upset about people who don't think the way they do..... I think. :blah:

The standard original brand name Loctite blue is for frequent fastener removal. The original brand name Loctite red is much harder to undo.....

The generic thread locking agents made by various companies not named Loctite are often referred to as "loctite", and come in various strengths, and the color is not relevant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts