MV Agusta Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Didn’t realize they closed. I was waiting on a sprag clutch from them. I messaged Brian today and he says he has the part and I’m hoping I can just go pick it up. I’ll message him again tomorrow. Looks like I’ll just have to sell the bike once I get it running.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Didn’t realize they closed. I was waiting on a sprag clutch from them. I messaged Brian today and he says he has the part and I’m hoping I can just go pick it up. I’ll message him again tomorrow. Looks like I’ll just have to sell the bike once I get it running.
Brian is a professional. He may be able to point you to a Houston mechanic if needed. I think there will eventually be a lot of used, and cheap MVs for sale in the Houston area. Personally I have not had time to seriously ponder what to do with my almost new Brutale RR Dragster. I have emailed MV twice to ask about warranty coverage (3 years) and no response. If the sun ever comes out again, I may just ride the bike to Mancuso SW and trade it on a BMW R90T, or Ducati Monster and be done with the headache. A shame, as I do love the MV. Patience might result in another Houston MV dealer, you never know. Good luck.

·
Administrator
18,860 Posts
I don't understand why not having a dealer close by is any reason to sell your MVs....

Routine maintenance is a piece of cake, and any competent mechanic can do it. MVs are not inherently unreliable.

Think of the owners in remote areas....there are large swaths of this country where there is no MV dealer....heck, there are guys out in Wyoming and Montana for example who have no Honda dealer within a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I don't understand why not having a dealer close by is any reason to sell your MVs....

Routine maintenance is a piece of cake, and any competent mechanic can do it. MVs are not inherently unreliable.

Think of the owners in remote areas....there are large swaths of this country where there is no MV dealer....heck, there are guys out in Wyoming and Montana for example who have no Honda dealer within a few hundred miles.
I echo what Ed said. I've had two MV's over the past 10 years and have only made one trip to the dealer (175 miles away). I had the stalling issue that plagued the 3-cylinder bikes in 2014-2015 that was due to throttle bodies being out of sync. The dealer simply put a new map on it and told me it was fixed. It wasn't. I had a competent independent mechanic who has no MV training, but did have factory Ducati and Moto Guzzi training balance the throttle bodies, which resolved the issue. He has handled all the other maintenance on my MV's.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I echo what Ed said. I've had two MV's over the past 10 years and have only made one trip to the dealer (175 miles away). I had the stalling issue that plagued the 3-cylinder bikes in 2014-2015 that was due to throttle bodies being out of sync.

I appreciate your comments and shared experience. For myself: I am not a mechanic-- not my skill set. So, when an issue happens I need a professional. My biggest concern: getting stranded on a unreliable bike. So far that has never happened. The good news is my MV has shown zero issues, and had its first maintenance. Also the good news is there are independent bike mechanics in the Houston area that likely can handle routine maintenance for me.

My bias against having a bike without a dealer comes from cars. Specifically a BMW 330i that constantly broke,
and a VW Scirocco same thing. Both these cars stranded me. Throw in a 84 Corvette. Despite having dealers, the cars were utterly unreliable and money sinks.

The other huge frustration: buying a 2018 MV with 3 year warranty that is worthless. And MV not replying to any of my emails or inquiries. Cherry on top of whipped cream: absolutely dismal winter here in Houston. Riding has not happened. And in context of two family deaths in 3 months and FIL at his end battling Alzheimer's. Fact is I am not doing well emotionally right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Closest dealer to me now is 300 miles away. Of course, if my bike would actually run and not leave me stranded it wouldn’t bother me. I took my bike for its second maintenance and the dealer finally agreed it was the sprag clutch that needed replacing. Fast forward 2-3 months I’m still waiting for the part to come in. I message and call my dealer every week and they neglect to tell me they plan to shut down. A couple days ago I get a response that they have the part but no technician to install it. I ask if I can go pick up the part and the owner/manager dances around the question. Hell I’ll install the sprag clutch myself if I had it. I’m just disappointed in the way my situation was handled. I basically scrolled the forum to find out my dealer closed down and now I’m stuck with a bike under warranty that won’t start.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I echo what Ed said. I've had two MV's over the past 10 years and have only made one trip to the dealer (175 miles away). I had the stalling issue that plagued the 3-cylinder bikes in 2014-2015 that was due to throttle bodies being out of sync.

I appreciate your comments and shared experience. For myself: I am not a mechanic-- not my skill set. So, when an issue happens I need a professional. My biggest concern: getting stranded on a unreliable bike. So far that has never happened. The good news is my MV has shown zero issues, and had its first maintenance. Also the good news is there are independent bike mechanics in the Houston area that likely can handle routine maintenance for me.

My bias against having a bike without a dealer comes from cars. Specifically a BMW 330i that constantly broke,
and a VW Scirocco same thing. Both these cars stranded me. Throw in a 84 Corvette. Despite having dealers, the cars were utterly unreliable and money sinks.

The other huge frustration: buying a 2018 MV with 3 year warranty that is worthless. And MV not replying to any of my emails or inquiries. Cherry on top of whipped cream: absolutely dismal winter here in Houston. Riding has not happened. And in context of two family deaths in 3 months and FIL at his end battling Alzheimer's. Fact is I am not doing well emotionally right now.
Welcome to the wonderful world of exotic Italian motorcycles

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The good news is my MV has shown zero issues, and had its first maintenance. Also the good news is there are independent bike mechanics in the Houston area that likely can handle routine maintenance for me.
Winter is passing and your MV is there ready to ride with warranty or no warranty. Realize even brief moments to ride, it'll be good for what ails ya.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Winter is passing and your MV is there ready to ride with warranty or no warranty. Realize even brief moments to ride, it'll be good for what ails ya.
This was not my quote. Somehow lucydad's quote of my post got mucked up. No worries though. Just want you guys in Houston to keep your MV's, find a good independent mechanic, and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It was nice enough to ride this afternoon, but I was stuck dealing with mom's estate lawyer, banker and finance guy. Oh, and wait for dishwasher repairman. And he did not have part. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Guzzi though, MV had the last turn.
A good ride would help stress control and keeping the Black Dog from ripping me to pieces.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Hang in there Greg. Better times a comin'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I called a dealer in Argyle, Tx and they will be here in Houston,Texas next weekend and offered to pick up the bike as well as well as putting in the warranty claim. They said they could have the part I need in about a week. Brian offered to run the diagnostic tool to be sure it’s the sprag clutch that’s needed as I live down the street from him. Best case scenario this dealer picks up the bike and can drop it off as they have more bikes to pick up in Houston. Put the bike on the battery charger/tender that came with it and it cranked right up. Still don’t have enough faith that it won’t leave me stranded again. I’ll definitely be buying a new battery this weekend and see how that goes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, I called a dealer in Argyle, Tx and they will be here in Houston,Texas next weekend and offered to pick up the bike as well as well as putting in the warranty claim.

HTX, that is great news! Would you mind sharing contact details on the Argyle, TX dealer please? Name, number, etc. My nearly new 3 year warranty is one of the reasons I bought the new Brutale. Best of luck with repair, please keep us updated on results. Much thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I spoke with David Roy over the phone. Email is [email protected] he is the Director of Operations. Number is 972-966-0932 (Shop) and 972 638 7944 (direct) he was pretty quick to answer my emails. So far it’s been good service

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I spoke with David Roy over the phone. Email is [email protected] he is the Director of Operations. Number is 972-966-0932 (Shop) and 972 638 7944 (direct) he was pretty quick to answer my emails. So far it’s been good service
HTX,
Thanks so much for sharing! Please let us know how Monkeymoto performs, sounds very promising. Gives me hope for the future of my pretty MV and using the 3 year warranty if needed. Well done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope your MV Agusta bikes are in good hands and running.

Has anyone serviced their MV Agusta bikes at Motorcycles Unlimited with Patrick zip 77090?

·
Registered
32 Posts
David has been around for several years and does a great job. I will certainly be using him since Ducati Austin also seems to have abandoned MV

·
Registered
123 Posts
Read some where V1 Moto in Houston states they can service MV 's. Have not been by or called to ask questions. Im in Galveston and will need valves adjusted next spring. If anyone stops by the shop please let me know. If not, road trip to Dallas.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So TRUE!
I am in Michigan and there is was no dealer here until this year when I got my MV. I bought it from California, drove the truck and got the bike here. Used to ride it to Chicago or Milwaukee to get it serviced. No big deal. Most of the stuff can be done at home in garage. For important stuff just get a $14.95 u-Haul and drive to the dealer (if the dealer is quite far).
This should not be a problem.

All,

I just got an email from Brian Kinnear at Italian Superbikes here in Houston, TX USA. They shut down today, closed doors. I bought a new Guzzi from them 2 years ago and new Brutale RR Dragster in August. Now what? Anyone have any idea where I can get maintenance on these bikes, or warranty work? It sucks. Best I know, the nearest dealer is Austin, TX.
I have a mind to just sell both bikes and buy a japanese bike from one of the Houston dealers.

Crap. I am just gutted.

Advice?
Dude. It's just a dealer. My closest MV dealer is 175 miles. My closest Norton dealer is 400 miles. It'll be fine. Take a breath. Move on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gotta say, the closest dealer to me is so so far away (knew that when I bought my MV used), but all that did was force me to apply myself and work on the bike myself, paying super close attention to people's advice here, and studying the workshop manuals and watching videos online. Before my F3, all I EVER did was change the oil/ filter on my bikes (Ducati, Moto Guzzi & Honda). Since my F3, it's nuts how much I have learned about the bike, and how not to be intimidated by wrenching on it. Of course, that is presuming one want's to work on their bike. But yes, fair enough, if all you want is that the bike is cared for by a dealer and aren't interested in doing the work yourself on it. Good luck with it all.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts