MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went for a nice spirited ride on the MV this afternoon. Having one hell of a time I might add.

Stop at a red light, put the bike in neutral sit upright to rest the old wrist muscles and the bike just dies..........Boom...Nothing! No dash lights, no starter, no nothing. Totally dead.......

I push it off to the side of the road and start the "What the f--k stare"

I check all the fuses, all the relays get a "tap" with my pocket knife.....The computer under the seat get a slap and a poke...nothing!... :cry:

I'm just ready to call for a ride when I turn the key for the umpteenth time...Voila! I get dash lights!....But before I can hit the starter, it dies again.........Rats!

I wait about a minute and turn the key again......This time it allows me to start it and I simply ride the half hour back home without an issue........ :laughing:

I get it home and start and stop it twenty times...Works perfectly......

So here I am, with yet another "can't trust it" Ital;ian motorcycle.........

But it sure rides nice when it's running....... :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Make sure the battery terminals are tight before condemning the bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope everyone takes my post in the spirit it was meant...........Just a little "funnin"......

I know what I got into when I bought this exotoc beauty.......If I want stone reliability I*'d buy Japanese...........But then I'd get no soul!

Tonight I'm going to disconnect, clean and apply dielectric grease to every connection. I'm sure that will solve it.

As far as battery connections, I believe the bike will run without a battery....correct? I don't think losing a battery connection would kill the bike. But it must be some type of main buss, because everything goes dead.......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come-on We have to find a solution to this problem..........This blows when you can't trust your bike to get you home.......

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same problem a while ago. It started happening after I washed my bike. I think some water got into the fusebox, or the connector for the guages, or some other electical connectors. Either that, or the fuse under the seat next to the relays was cracked. i replaced it and haven't had the problem since.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If any consolation it happened to my Honda Blackbird last summer. A Honda!?! After a long 500 mile ride, some rain, and some bumpy roads. Needed a push start at a gas station. Tried the bright lights as it was getting dark on a lonely road. All the gauges dropped to zero... then suddenly sprung to life. Hasn't been a problem since and was the only time it ever happened. Has taken about a year but now I have complete confidence in the thing again.

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I bet it's those ignition contacts, Giuseppe's lunch break again. I still think MV's are as good as any Japanese offering in the reliability stakes and are streets ahead on styling, as they have always been IMO. :drummer:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's another post on here about the fix. But I figured I better clean this one up as well............It's not junk anymore! Turned out it was a lose ground wire on the battery. Hard to find since you need to remove the whole seat. These bike will not run at Idle without a battery. Seems they will run fine above 2000rpm without a battery, but at idle, if you lose connection the bike just dies............Tightened up the terminals and she's perfect!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts