MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

here is exactly what has happened: bike was fine until Thursday. But since it was dirt because of all the rain it has taken during the week, I have decided to wash it on Friday. Have not touched the bike up until now, Monday, and now it simply will not start.

When I turn the key I got the display saying that everything is fine, but when I hold the clutch and press the ignition the only thing I hear is a very very gentle noise, like a single CLICK, quieter than the noise you get when snapping your fingers, followed by what seems to be a little more fuel being injected. And then... nothing.

Summing up:when I try to start, I hear one single CLICK, a little bit o fuel being inject and then nothing. Do you know that classic NHEC NHEC NHEC any vehicle does when you try to start it? It simply does not do that anymore.

Any advice?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How exactly should I proceed in order to check the battery? Total noob here when dealing with stuff that runs on two (or more) wheels.

All I can say is that the LCD panel lights up fine when I turn the key. And it remains lit. Should I place a voltmeter on the battery in order to check it? If so, where should I "plug" it? Should the ignition be on when I do that?

And the most important thing: if I plug the voltmeter on the wrong wire, is there a chance I might break something or, oh god, get electrocuted?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
hook up your car battery to it with decent leads
+on + -on -

you will not get fried

just make sure you put the
+ positive from external battery to the other + positive on bike do not cross the wires ever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I liked that last advice hehe.

Anyway, I have just removed the seat, and since it has been 3 days since I washed it, everything is as dry as it can be.

Now I am just waiting for my brother to wake up, since he is the one with the meter. I have just found some pics of showing where I should put what in order to do a simple check. I will come back to post the results.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hey there,

here is exactly what has happened: bike was fine until Thursday. But since it was dirt because of all the rain it has taken during the week, I have decided to wash it on Friday. Have not touched the bike up until now, Monday, and now it simply will not start.

When I turn the key I got the display saying that everything is fine, but when I hold the clutch and press the ignition the only thing I hear is a very very gentle noise, like a single CLICK, quieter than the noise you get when snapping your fingers, followed by what seems to be a little more fuel being injected. And then... nothing.

Summing up:when I try to start, I hear one single CLICK, a little bit o fuel being inject and then nothing. Do you know that classic NHEC NHEC NHEC any vehicle does when you try to start it? It simply does not do that anymore.

Any advice?

Charge the battery ...Then see how it goes..

joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like a discharged battery to me, my 1090RR does this all the time, especially if I leave it for a few days, I have to manually charge it once a week as it doesn't seem to charge right from the bike. I think it's just a crap battery and I'm gonna try and get it changed under warranty @ the next service.

·
Super Moderator
22,486 Posts
Fernue, since you are admittedly inexperienced with these things, try the search function for "battery" here within the forum. You will find that this is not a new problem. I believe all the bikes after 2010 came with Koyo batteries and these batteries do not work very well. You should just replace the Koyo with another battery of your choosing...I am partial to lead acid Yuasa batteries, others have gone for the more exotic...all with better results tahn a Koyo.

Some things of note:
1. A fully charged battery at rest should be producing around 13.2vdc.
2. That same fully charged battery may not have the capacity to start your bike.
3. Charging voltage should be around 14.5 vdc with the bike running.
4. If you decide to change(or charge) your battery, be very careful about polarity! Many people have unwittingly hooked a new battery in tot he bike with the polarity reversed and that causes other
significant problems.

Do some reading on here and you'll find other examples of the issue at hand.

Good Luck!

Chuck

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Like everyone else has said..check the battery first. Make sure it is fully charged ....if not.. charge it. I'd recommend strongly you get yourself an 'optimate 4' http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1448&p=15442&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Battery Chargers & Conditioners&gclid=CIKU77L9srQCFW3MtAodGmMAww and have your bike continually hooked up to it when not in use..between rides etc .
I hope it is only a flat battery., as that is what it sounds like and that is the first thing to check.
Oh and obviously it goes without saying...but as you seem unsure regarding motorcycle mechanics etc...be careful regarding the + and - on the battery. ( never 'cross' the connections on the battery or 'anything' you connect to it). Let us know how you get on.
Brian.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys.

Well, as it turns out, my brothers multimeter is not working, so there goes checking the voltage. And yes, the battery is a Koyo. I'll try recharging it and then, if all goes well, I ask my dealer to replace it, after all as crappy as it might be, it should last more than 2 months.

Yep, the bike is 2 months old, ridden at least 4 times per week (I commute with it) and last week was no exception.

By the way, would the horn still be working if the battery was discharged? Because I have just accidentally pressed it and it is working FINE. Ask my father if you do not believe me. The old man was in a nearby room and while I finish this post he still has not finished swearing at me :)

PS: BG Wells, is this one of those that I plug on a power outlet? I really need one, because hooking it up on a car or jump start the bike in order to recharge the battery is awful.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
With the optimate 4 you get along with the 'charger' itself a separate connector lead http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-Accumate-12V-Waterproof-Charger-Connector-Lead-/400313801582?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d348fdb6e&clk_rvr_id=430270549231 You simply fit this to the battery in your bike and hook up the 'optimate' to it between rides. That way you know your battery is always gonna be fully charged when you 'hit the button'.http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49969&page=4
Cheers
Brian.

·
Super Moderator
22,486 Posts
Fernue, yes...the horn will work as will most of the other electrics. The problem is POWER CAPACITY. The battery cannot sustain the needed amperage to turn over the engine.

FWIW, the battery in my 1090RR didn't last two months. KOYO IS JUNK!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
BG Wells, silentservice703, thanks again.

By the way, now I am way more worried than before. No cars around at home today.It seems something happens right at midnight on December 25th and my brother has taken off with his girl to her parents home... with his car!

Because of that I have tried to jump start it (I think that is the correct term). But no luck. Not even a sign of the bike starting! And I live "uphill", so I let the bike go downhill, build up some speed (around 30 to 40KM/h) and then tried. Nothing. Not a single noise of something at least attempting to work correctly. That was scary since when it happened before with my other motorcycle I could easy jump start it by pushing on a plane street.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

But then again, I do not think I ever tried to do it with a fuel injected motorcycle. Perhaps there is something to it. Maybe not enough power to pump some fuel (although I do hear it being injected when I turn the key).

Anyway, if I am going to replace battery, I might as well use one of your suggestions. Unfortunately the only brand you guys (and the forum search) mentioned that seems to be available here in Brazil is that Youasa. That Shorai did seemed quite intersting (albeit more expensive). But hey, Youasa it is then. Now, what model should I get? Their site's search engine only lists up to the 2010 line, and I got a 2012 1090R here. Asking around in stores is also no good. 99% have never heard about my bike. And I am talking about motorcycle specific store here!

·
Registered
64 Posts
BG Wells, silentservice703, thanks again.

By the way, now I am way more worried than before. No cars around at home today.It seems something happens right at midnight on December 25th and my brother has taken off with his girl to her parents home... with his car!

Because of that I have tried to jump start it (I think that is the correct term). But no luck. Not even a sign of the bike starting! And I live "uphill", so I let the bike go downhill, build up some speed (around 30 to 40KM/h) and then tried. Nothing. Not a single noise of something at least attempting to work correctly. That was scary since when it happened before with my other motorcycle I could easy jump start it by pushing on a plane street.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

But then again, I do not think I ever tried to do it with a fuel injected motorcycle. Perhaps there is something to it. Maybe not enough power to pump some fuel (although I do hear it being injected when I turn the key).

Anyway, if I am going to replace battery, I might as well use one of your suggestions. Unfortunately the only brand you guys (and the forum search) mentioned that seems to be available here in Brazil is that Youasa. That Shorai did seemed quite intersting (albeit more expensive). But hey, Youasa it is then. Now, what model should I get? Their site's search engine only lists up to the 2010 line, and I got a 2012 1090R here. Asking around in stores is also no good. 99% have never heard about my bike. And I am talking about motorcycle specific store here!
Did the engine turn over when you tried the jump start or did the rear wheel just skid?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
First things first. While searching around I found out that I made a huge mistake: what I did seems to be called "push start" and not "jump start". I think I got confused because, being a lightweight (74KG), I kind of, just like eddypro said, "jump down" on the bike in order to avoid skidding my way to a very expensive fall. Where is the grammar police when I needed it? Unlike many I have seen complaining when someone corrects them, I think it is kind of nice. English is not my first language and do prefer being corrected than spending the rest of my life spewing Engrish on your ears eheh

Anyway, it did not work, because it did skid, like Wills thought. I was kind of afraid it would do so, so I did not release the clutch all at once. When I saw nothing was happening, only then I fully released it and the wheel did lock. Perhaps that was the problem. Maybe I'll try using the 3rd next time.

Now I got the cables and a car. I think I will try to do an actual "jump start" this time, because there is no one here today to help me push the motorcycle if I fail trying to push start again hehe

One last question: where I connect what? All instructions are pretty clear that the + goes in the +, but there seems to be some different lines of thought about the -. Here are some of them:

A: simply place the - in the -

B: place the - on the car battery - and the other end somewhere on the bike frame (would the foot stand do?)

C: place one - on the car frame and the other on the bike frame.

So... any advice? Also, is there a correct order to connect the cables? I mean, something like "first connect the + on the car battery, then on the bike battery, only then you connect the -, etc"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts