MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice yesterday the engine died while at parking lot speeds. Its like someone hit the kill switch. No cough, or sputter. Started right back up. No more problems after that. Didn't notice if headlight stayed on or anything since it started right up.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
311 Posts
unfortunately, almost all of them do that. There are multiple posts on it that recommend anything from iridium spark plugs to 87 gas, to getting a new computer. Mine has a power commander with a custom map (one of the recommended fixes), it still does it at traffic lights. I just live with it and call it "Italian Design"

·
Registered
150 Posts
honestly thats the cheapest thing ive ever heard, especially from a new-er high end bike

·
Administrator
20,341 Posts
Tuning is off.....idle speed too low? throttle synch? TPS setting? any of those 3 can cause this and it should be simple to fix.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Twice yesterday the engine died while at parking lot speeds. Its like someone hit the kill switch. No cough, or sputter. Started right back up. No more problems after that. Didn't notice if headlight stayed on or anything since it started right up.

Any thoughts?
That really s*cks man.

Just buy a F4 instead of a brutie :stickpoke

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny thing is it never did it again the rest of the day???? It is 2000 miles from the 6k mi service. I do get some pretty good vibes from the right hand grip. Otherwise the bike seems to be running great. It doesn't hurt to check the sync, and TPS I guess.

Guess I am going to have to buy the Technoresearch cable. Dang it I have two cables for my two ducs of course now I have to have yet a third cable......................

Anyone need a cable for 15m ECU?

·
Registered
204 Posts

Any thoughts?
I had a similar experience...Turned out to be the battery (a new one, at that). We looked at all the conventional causes but not the battery at first (who would have suspected a new battery?) Fitted a new one and the gremlins went away.

·
Administrator
20,341 Posts
Maybe it just wasn't quite warmed up yet? That has happened to me occasionally when I just pull to the end of the drive at low rpms and engine temp is still low. Never happens again the rest of the ride.

Has also happened to me on my CB100 Honda when it's cold and I shut the choke off too soon. :blah:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 990R with only 600 miles on it. Between 200 and 600 miles it was cutting out dead on each outing. It was certaily very odd.
Anyway, bike went in for a service last week and fueling has been balanced... absolutely fine again. I know its a common issue and have read all about it. Obviously MV can't sort it so it does feel like something going out of sync that causes it. Sync made a massive difference as did good first service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike was plenty warm. This happened after about 30 minutes on the interstate.

Yeah maybe the battery voltage. I'll get my multi meter out. I have noticed the relays under the seat seem to sometimes click very loudly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bike was plenty warm. This happened after about 30 minutes on the interstate.

Yeah maybe the battery voltage. I'll get my multi meter out. I have noticed the relays under the seat seem to sometimes click very loudly.
Take heart...I know it's your new Baby and it doesn't help when you hear we've all gone through this. Small problem and you'll sort it out in no time. I've got a weeping fork seal, tried to clean it up and will check it again tomorrow...But the Brutale is rock solid and sooo much fun, isn't it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take heart...I know it's your new Baby and it doesn't help when you hear we've all gone through this. Small problem and you'll sort it out in no time. I've got a weeping fork seal, tried to clean it up and will check it again tomorrow...But the Brutale is rock solid and sooo much fun, isn't it?
Def high on the fun factor. My Ducatis have taught me not to be afraid to work on italian bikes. Now after doing my own work for a while I am starting to see how lazy and or incompetent mechanics there are out there. I'm sure there are some fine ones out there but they are hard to find.
Example after a 6k service cost $1000 I checked my CO level and it was at 10% no wonder it wasn't running right! Now after tuning it myself it's smooth a butter, at least for an air cooled twin any way. Sorry to be so negative but if I have to pay someone and still have to check their work I might as well do it myself. :blah:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts