MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Had a chance to demo a 2013 F4 as well as a 1199 base model Duc yesterday. I have been on twins for a while, most recently a RC8R, and I have to say I'm really drawn to the F4. The F4 is just so smooth and the sound is intoxicating. I was ready to pull the trigger but the only thing keeping me from the buy is the fact the closest MV dealer is 3 1/2 hours away from me. I can get service locally, but warranty work, if needed, is another story. I realize I may need to deal with early issue with a new bike, so I was looking for input as to any known fixes, warranty or recalls I should be sure to talk to the dealer about before I close the deal.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just buy it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The F4 is sensational, but I hope your local MVA dealer runs a professional operation. I'm looking at buying the 2013 F4 myself, but the last new MVA I bought from my dealer came with a flat battery and is still in my garage. It won't take a charge, so it's never been ridden by me - it's going back to the dealer!!

Anyway, the F4 is the best bike you'll ever have and I certainly encourage you to buy it, but just make sure you're dealing with professionals!!

:f4:

·
Super Moderator
22,618 Posts
Do a search on Koyo Batteries and the problem will be clear....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the feedback. The plan is to close the deal on a F4 next week if I can. Just looking for any suggestions on things to look for before I roll it out of the dealership. Thanks all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks silentservice703. I've swapped the Brutale 800 for the new 2013 F4 and paid the difference!

The white F4 will be in my garage this Tuesday, and pix will be taken and posted at this forum. Just hoping for some nice weather to take my new steed for a ride!!

Please let us know jimi1114 if you go ahead with the F4 - thanks, and very best wishes to you!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same concerns buying something so exotic. The dealer I just bought my 13 F4 from has never used a valve shim since they bought the franchise in 06 and never had a motor out of an F4. No major problems whatsoever. They had all of the confidence in the machine as well as I do because it it such a refined design. I have had I for three weeks and this weekend had the fairing off to look a little deeper and it is just amazing. Had some fellow riders and engineers over today and it is crazy to look at how much better the finishing is compared to anything out there..
Pull the trigger, you will not regret it.
:f4:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congrats at least I know of two MV owners in Oregon I am in the process of relocating to Portland for a new on. Will have my MV and Ducati shipped in July.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats at least I know of two MV owners in Oregon I am in the process of relocating to Portland for a new on. Will have my MV and Ducati shipped in July.
Welcome to Portland. Just in time for the riding season.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Hi all,

Had a chance to demo a 2013 F4 as well as a 1199 base model Duc yesterday. I have been on twins for a while, most recently a RC8R, and I have to say I'm really drawn to the F4. The F4 is just so smooth and the sound is intoxicating. I was ready to pull the trigger but the only thing keeping me from the buy is the fact the closest MV dealer is 3 1/2 hours away from me. I can get service locally, but warranty work, if needed, is another story. I realize I may need to deal with early issue with a new bike, so I was looking for input as to any known fixes, warranty or recalls I should be sure to talk to the dealer about before I close the deal.

Thanks for all the help.
Fuel tank that melts if you put gas in it. :/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Fuck the Duc!

A good friend of mine has a Panigale Tricolore. Yesterday we went for a long ride at sunny temps (21 °C). He wasn't so happy about his Panigale. Every stop at lights or traffic he had to stand up from his seat as the heat was not bearable. Even if he came next to me at stopping lights i could feel the heat coming from his bike. Absolutely unbelievable!
It has come to a point that it bothers him a lot. Think about what a real sunny and warm day's ride is going to be with this bike.

I would go for the F4 any time!

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Fuck the Duc!

A good friend of mine has a Panigale Tricolore. Yesterday we went for a long ride at sunny temps (21 °C). He wasn't so happy about his Panigale. Every stop at lights or traffic he had to stand up from his seat as the heat was not bearable. Even if he came next to me at stopping lights i could feel the heat coming from his bike. Absolutely unbelievable!
It has come to a point that it bothers him a lot. Think about what a real sunny and warm day's ride is going to be with this bike.

I would go for the F4 any time!
I think that's a Ducati "feature". I have a friend with a Monster and it has that same level of heat issue. :/

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Melts? I have heard of swelling but not melting. The rc8 had a similar issue. Can you provide more details or sources I can look at.
Same issue. Sorry for the colorful description. :)

While it does not technically "melt" the ethanol in the fuel softens the plastic and causes it to swell. If you use the search function for the forum there's several threads on the topic. At the moment MV does not have a solution for it and seems to only be replacing tanks that leak. This has been going on since the 2010 models. Because of the way the airbox fits so tightly to the tank it's pretty unsightly.

·
Registered
814 Posts

While it does not technically "melt" the ethanol in the fuel softens the plastic and causes it to swell. If you use the search function for the forum there's several threads on the topic. At the moment MV does not have a solution for it and seems to only be replacing tanks that leak. This has been going on since the 2010 models. Because of the way the airbox fits so tightly to the tank it's pretty unsightly.
Does this still apply to the 2013MY bikes however?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ok. I will look into this. Does ethanol gas treatment help?

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Ok. I will look into this. Does ethanol gas treatment help?
Most of the treatments only keep the ethanol from leaching out of the fuel for storage purposes. It's still in there and still softening your plastic. If you read up on those threads you will find that some dealers are claiming that if you coat the inside of the tanks you will have warranty issues. Not a fun situation. :/

·
Registered
814 Posts
Not sure about that one. But.....

If they got a better supplier for the tanks for the 2013's would you not think they would start helping out the 2010 - 2012 owners? :)
You mean like updating a notorious hub for failing and not updating the previous model bikes?

That would cost them money that at the moment they don't have to spend.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
You mean like updating a notorious hub for failing and not updating the previous model bikes?

That would cost them money that at the moment they don't have to spend.
Yeah. Something like that. :)

Good point though. The melting fuel tanks is harder to lie and deny your way out of. They could have easily claimed that the hubs failed because of "aggressive use". The car companies out there pioneered that style of customer deflection. I guess MV did not have to do that because regardless of what they produce people will still walk over broken glass to get their stuff because of the name. :/

1 - 20 of 57 Posts