MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
My rear tire on MV is almost bare, so I'm looking for a used in good condition 190/55 tire.

I stumbled across this one, but it has been patched up in the center.
Is it worth buying it?
How much is it worth?
Guy says it has 80% of tread left.
It's a Michelin Pilot Powers 2Ct.

Please let me know. :drummer:
Thanks.

Or maybe any of you guys can spare me a used nice tire for cheap :stickpoke

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Patched, Used?

Are you kidding? You want to put used tires on your MV? I would never go cheap on tires. No matter what bike you ride, it's the only thing between you and the road.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you kidding? You want to put used tires on your MV? I would never go cheap on tires. No matter what bike you ride, it's the only thing between you and the road.
I know...I just don't have the cash to buy a new one for $120 :(

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Don't risk your life to save a few bucks.

Wait till you have the cash, or beg plead and borrow, but remember the tires are the ONLY things connecting you to the road.

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
I have a used set that came off my bike when I was going to the track. $20 and shipping and you can have them. Let me know if you want pics. They don't have lots of tread on them. Around 40%, but will get you by until you can get new ones.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hi Guys.
My rear tire on MV is almost bare, so I'm looking for a used in good condition 190/55 tire.

I stumbled across this one, but it has been patched up in the center.
Is it worth buying it?
How much is it worth?
Guy says it has 80% of tread left.
It's a Michelin Pilot Powers 2Ct.

Please let me know. :drummer:
Thanks.

Or maybe any of you guys can spare me a used nice tire for cheap :stickpoke
I assume you will be only using the tyre for street use? If you are tracking the bike then buy a new tyre.

If the plug was done properly from the inside out and and the side walls has not been damaged then I personally (thats me personally) would go for it. Your just need to be sensible when street riding and not go ballistic. If the tyre is for commuting only (assuming commuting speeds) and not hard riding then to save a few $$$ I would use it no problem.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't risk your life to save a few bucks.

Wait till you have the cash, or beg plead and borrow, but remember the tires are the ONLY things connecting you to the road.

Yeah....I think you guys are right...I should just save up and buy a new tire, even though I'm in financial crisis with student loans. :eek:nthecan:

Thank you for all suggestions and comments guys.
I LOVE this forum :naughty:

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1.

Though a bit expensive, I'd find a way to stick with the Pilot Powers - the only tires I've ever owned, and perfect for almost all conditions. My 0.02...

·
Administrator
20,762 Posts
I have a used set that came off my bike when I was going to the track. $20 and shipping and you can have them. Let me know if you want pics. They don't have lots of tread on them. Around 40%, but will get you by until you can get new ones.
Hey...I need tires and am broke (airfare to Isle of Man :) ). Andrew....call me. I could use some serviceable tires while I save for a new set.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used tyre for any vehicle - especially a patched one already (only for a trailer). I would rather go for a cheaper quality new one.

The amount of wear is very difficult to judge, most of the life of a tyre is in the 1st 25% of the tread. That tyre looks way past that point and will proably last a few hundred miles at most. I just don't see the point in going through the hassle of fitting a used tyre and then doing it again properly a couple of weeks later.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Aside from tire opinions on used & patched.....

One thing you should check on it is the date of manufacturing. Ideally this shouldn't be over 5 years old. There are probably other opinions on the length of life of a tire, but 5 is the number I've heard.

Scroll to the bottom of this link for how to read the date. http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp

While I'm typing, I guess I'll give you my opinion.....

I think a usable used tire is much better than a bald one. Can't comment on price to pay for it tho.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think a usable used tire is much better than a bald one. Can't comment on price to pay for it tho.
I agree with that, in reality we are all riding on "used" tyres the second they are fitted to the rim. If I had to I would have no problem using a good second hand tyre. Need to have a real good look at it though.

As for the plug, IMO a proper plug fitted from the inside is fine for every day riding.

·
Living the Dream
2,761 Posts
Just picked up PP rear for $129 shipped from sportbiketrackgear. Went and scrubbed it up today, very nice!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have a set of Metzeler M3s with about 600 miles on them that I'm willing to sell for $100 + shipping if anyone is interested. Size 120/70 190/50

Shoot me a PM if interested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts