MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The control unit on the clutch side bar is not responding, the indicators function fine.

My headlight bulb went on the ride home last night and today I took it off to replace the bulb.

This is the wiring behind. My question is - is this standard MV work? The white junction box seems to super mucky and knackered or am I wrong? Shouldn't it be sealed against water etc ingress?

Any ideas on how to get the white box apart to check the connections inside?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
Here we go again.

What year and model is this bike?

The electrical connections have been poorly maintained and are corroded. When you get the connection apart (by prying open the locking wing tabs and separating the connector) you will find broken electrical connections.

Before attempting to separate this connector, spray it with a penetrating lubricant to break up the corrosion and make the process easier.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The control unit on the clutch side bar is not responding, the indicators function fine.

My headlight bulb went on the ride home last night and today I took it off to replace the bulb.

This is the wiring behind. My question is - is this standard MV work? The white junction box seems to super mucky and knackered or am I wrong? Shouldn't it be sealed against water etc ingress?

Any ideas on how to get the white box apart to check the connections inside?
the tape job is not MV factory standard

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brutale Dragster 800 rr ( you can tell by the forks and the fairings I'm sure)

But that being said, I think the work is non-model specific.

Silent - you're so quick to ire. Super angry. y?

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Brutale Dragster 800 rr ( you can tell by the forks and the fairings I'm sure)

But that being said, I think the work is non-model specific.

Silent - you're so quick to ire. Super angry. y?
You can’t necessarily tell from the forks and fairings. Put it in your signature so that we already know & don’t have to ask. You’ll get better assistance. You would be surprised how many people sign on and ask questions and give no information, i.e. where they are what kind of bike etc. maybe a name? All that stuff would assist him assisting you. Chuck is not angry he’s just tired of the fact that probably 20% of his posts are similar to the one above. Look at his post count and you do the math ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only say, because, I know how knowledgeable he is from past posts. I agree I should have mentioned it (i usually do).

Still he's answered it so that's it - job done.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
@Digital: Not angry in the least. Peeved a bit sure. I really like helping folks sort out MV issues, but with the proliferation of models and the ever-changing wiring schematics, a little information from those who ask for help isn't unreasonable. Asking for help without specifying the year and model of the MV, or without specifying where on this Big Blue Marble you reside, is going to get you generic, and possibly mis-, information.

I posted in big red letters, not to imply anger, but rather to make a statement that some other poster might remember when asking the next "My bike does this" question. Perhaps the next poster will remember some big red letters and say "Hmmmm, perhaps I ought to say this is a Euro Spec B4 from 2017 so I don't get advice for a US model 2002 F4 EVO 3".

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not an issue. You always answer my questions well so for that I thank you.

Although, you do tend to pick me up on forum etiquette most threads I start :), but maybe that's my issue and not yours lol.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
So, did you get the connector apart?

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
you guys knock it off and answer the guys questions now that we know which bike he owns. Digital you already knew the wiring is not standard MV work and someone really screwed up on a failed repair just as Noel said. In the one picture it looks like there is corrosion on the screw head. Either the bike got really wet in a rain storm or it was sprayed with a water hose.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
George, I answered his question in the original response.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes got the connector apart in the end, still trying to diagnose what the actual issue is though :(

Got some new HID bulbs which i fitted to no avail, have taken out the HID, ballast and black box and tried putting the red to red and black to black on a spare battery, and nothing - no light at all.

So it's either the ballast or the wiring. The indicators work so i'm 75% certain it's not the connector.

The previous owner did leave the spare original bulb and the wires intact from the headlight housing connector ( the grey, black and white ones) however, to connection box so I have no idea which colour goes to which prong on the actual bulb.

Any ideas on which colour should go to where on the bulb??

I'd thought next step would be to try to hook the original bulb to double check the wiring is ok. Which should leave me with a bad ballast. which is due to arrive Monday.

Be nice if someone could let me know which colour goes where. I.e. which colour goes to the top, which goes to the left and which goes to the right prong, respectively.

Then at least I'd be able to ride the thing at night!

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you guys knock it off and answer the guys questions now that we know which bike he owns. Digital you already knew the wiring is not standard MV work and someone really screwed up on a failed repair just as Noel said. In the one picture it looks like there is corrosion on the screw head. Either the bike got really wet in a rain storm or it was sprayed with a water hose.
I commute on it everyday, wind, rain and shine. I bought from a dealership that serviced it prior to me buying it. It's been through one minor and one major service there in the interim period. They knew I commute on it and never even bothered to patch it up or tell me. I know for a fact they've had the dash off so they will have seen the standard of the workmanship.

I'll put some heat shrink tubing on it and sort it out properly when I've worked out what the issue is and fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts