MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scenario:-

I heard a true story the other day about a biker who was driving in the middle of the road whilst going around a right hand corner. Whilst doing so the driver of an oncoming car became very upset as apparently it was a very near thing that the biker didn't loose his head.

When confronted about this the motorcyclist stated to the car driver, that he admits his machine was in the center of the road but it wasn't actually 'over' the white line.

The biker then stated that although his bike wasn't 'quite' on the wrong side of the road he agreed that his head and body were indeed over the white line as he was cranked over, at this point the car driver became very annoyed with the biker and bad feeling has ensued.

There is no suggestion whatsoever of speeding in this instance.

I'm very interested in hearing the comments folk may have about this true scenario.

:popcorn:​

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Self preservation would ensure that both my bike and all body parts would remain on my side of the road.

I saw a brochure recently that raised this exact issue, ie don't lean over the centre line. Kind of goes without saying!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I keep left when going around a right hander and I keep right when going around a left hander. This I understand from my mates who know everything ! is the " safe line" and gives best visibilty around the bend.
It also means I lean into the empty part of my side of the road

The right lean in the road centre is imho rolling the dice..and could eventually hurt ..alot ..

joe

addenum

pls bear in mind we drive/ride on the left in UK

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I think if you are any where near the center of the road going around a corner you deserve to have your head removed by oncoming traffic.

If you have 10 feet of paved surface upon which to travel, why would you need to occupy the last few inches closest to oncoming traffic? It is dangerous for the oncoming traffic and possibly fatal for you?

All it takes is the oncoming vehicle to be just a little wide on the turn and you're finished.

On the other hand, if you are that stupid then self clorinating the gene pool is probably not a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think if you are any where near the center of the road going around a corner you deserve to have your head removed by oncoming traffic.

If you have 10 feet of paved surface upon which to travel, why would you need to occupy the last few inches closest to oncoming traffic? It is dangerous for the oncoming traffic and possibly fatal for you?

All it takes is the oncoming vehicle to be just a little wide on the turn and you're finished.

On the other hand, if you are that stupid then self clorinating the gene pool is probably not a bad idea.

+1, if you've been riding long enough, you would have certainly made these mistakes (running wide into oncoming lane, tailgating, too high entrance speeds) so it's good to have these discussions , especially for the newer lads amongst us. The other day while out for a little ride I had an incident. Now, I don't normally chase people down when they do something stupid but this time I had to because the kid was going to kill someone, someday...I was on a straight hilly road when suddenly a a kid in a Q5 is heading right at me (my mistake#1: not getting on the horn fast enough and assuming he already saw me), he was speeding coming over a ridge distracted by his phone or whatever and now I have to simultaneously beep while moving off the road, he sees me, locks his brakes coming within a few inches of me, swerves back into his lane and I nearly wet my pants. After chasing him down, pulling him over and not breaking every bone in his body ( he was visibly shaken), I had to give him a dose of reality. Today young man, you almost made my wife a widow and my two beautiful girls fatherless, my tirade continued for a few more minutes then ended with the question,"Imagine how you'd feel if someone took your father out like that"? Guys/ gals, be careful out there, don't be that idiot on the road and watch out for the millions that are!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Scenario:-

I heard a true story the other day about a biker who was driving in the middle of the road whilst going around a right hand corner. Whilst doing so the driver of an oncoming car became very upset as apparently it was a very near thing that the biker didn't loose his head.

When confronted about this the motorcyclist stated to the car driver, that he admits his machine was in the center of the road but it wasn't actually 'over' the white line.

The biker then stated that although his bike wasn't 'quite' on the wrong side of the road he agreed that his head and body were indeed over the white line as he was cranked over, at this point the car driver became very annoyed with the biker and bad feeling has ensued.

There is no suggestion whatsoever of speeding in this instance.

I'm very interested in hearing the comments folk may have about this true scenario.

No suggestion of speeding?

bullshit. How can you be cranked over in a turn and not be speeding?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you want to get to the limit of the surface available, go find a Racetrack.
If you don't, you will have to deal with the consequences

He's right!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No suggestion of speeding?

bullshit. How can you be cranked over in a turn and not be speeding?
maybe he was on some kind of giant harley.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
A very good friend of mine who was fairly new to riding just did this same positioning in a curve and it ended very badly for him. He had to stand the bike back upright to miss the car then had to lay it down to get away from it while running off the road. Unfortunately the bike slid through an open parking lot whilst he himselft slid up under a parked car taking the car door to his ribcage. The first responders said he hit the car so hard he moved it sideways 8 inches...it was a new Chrysler 300C if that tells you anything!!! However After being in the hospital for 3 weeks with 6 broke ribs, a punctured lung, kidney and spleen, he is now recovering very nicely! Although the crappiest part of the whole situation was that somebody stole about $250 cash out of his wallet between the incident and the hospital. Moral of the story...When you lean the width of your vehicle changes, therefore adjust before the lean to correctly position yourself for safety!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
maybe he was on some kind of giant harley.

Alistar, you are such a trouble maker......:naughty: but then again, most of my liberal friends are....:stickpoke

Juuuuuust kiddin Bub.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
If you want to get to the limit of the surface available, go find a Racetrack.
If you don't, you will have to deal with the consequences.
Nothing to do with speeding or racetracks Donsy, same thing has happened to me quite a few times, it's normally an upright type of bike with a newish rider on board and not going that quick either.

For this reason I try and avoid weekends for my riding and go out midweek when less of these people are around.

I guess they ride like this because they have no confidence and more road to run wide on if they make a mistake

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing to do with speeding or racetracks Donsy, same thing has happened to me quite a few times, it's normally an upright type of bike with a newish rider on board and not going that quick either.

For this reason I try and avoid weekends for my riding and go out midweek when less of these people are around.

I guess they ride like this because they have no confidence and more road to run wide on if they make a mistake
In this particular case it was on the TT course and the biker in question likes to use all the road he is entitled to.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Who cares who was in the right? It doesn't matter! What good does it do when the biker can claim that he was in the right while sitting in a wheel chair.
When riding on public roads we always have to expect the worst and expect other vehicle to do the wrong thing - else we will die!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Fixed for you mate, no charge.
In a lot of cases the medics will go straight for your wallet to snag your insurance card in order to determine which hospital you can afford to be taken to.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
So how do you know it to be true and do you know who the rider might be? :stickpoke I did not see the part about it being on the TT course, so that narrows the possibilities down to just a few people

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Personally I think it's stupid to be in that position with bike or body, no excuse other than rider error, which is not really an excuse

1 - 20 of 33 Posts