MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or is it a 312R with 312RR 1078 bodywork?

Here's a link to the dealer that has is listed. I believe they had the same bike a year ago for sale. It's listed as an '08, but I suppose it could be an early US '09 that was titled as 2008?

http://www.wheelsinmotionmc.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=973272

The vin listed on their site is 100730. Does anyone know MV vin numbers well enough to know if it's really a 1078?

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
It looks like a RR to me. Besides bodywork the color of the frameplates is the same as on mine.
As for the vin we would need the whole number to be able to say something...

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
The VIN should have 17 letters / numbers.
I think they have shown the last 6 digits (12 through 17). These last six digits are the production sequence numbers.

In the full 17 digit VIN the 7th digit (which is a letter) should be a P which denotes a 1078.
On a side note the VIN letters do change from time to time at the discretion of the manufacturer. Getting a 1078 RR F4 owner to check the 7th digit will confirm the letter you're looking to confirm.

Just looking at the bike, I'm as sure as I can be that it is a 1078RR.

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
The VIN should have 17 letters / numbers.
I think they have shown the last 6 digits (12 through 17). These last six digits are the production sequence numbers.

In the full 17 digit VIN the 7th digit (which is a letter) should be a P which denotes a 1078.
On a side note the VIN letters do change from time to time at the discretion of the manufacturer. Getting a 1078 RR F4 owner to check the 7th digit will confirm the letter you're looking to confirm.

Just looking at the bike, I'm as sure as I can be that it is a 1078RR.

Dave,my full Vin No is ZCGF511DA9V009223,so the 7th digit is the number 1.Bought my 1078 new in 2010,but is 2009 built.Sorry to put a spanner in the works.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Well it's Australian isn't it, Mitch? And Aussies like to be different....:)

I think that a USA based bike will use letter codes for at least the first 8 places of the VIN.

All of the MV's in the garage do. I may be wrong but Kiwi's are seldom wrong, are they Cobber?

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Yep, I've had a sniff around and there are differences in the letter / number formats depending on the country. It appears that Aussie bikes use the European system shown below from a previous thread.

ZCGF511BA6V004035 for F4 1000 Biposto Europe
ZCGAKFGM26V200320 for F4 1000 Biposto US

Source: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3950&highlight=ZCG

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
OK,fair comment.I also have these numbers on the Factory sticker on the headstock.
78R-022142EXT02.
41R-032394EXT01.
Maybe that will help.
The 1078 also had features like upgraded front suspension,mono block calipers,different steering damper,CC fairing screen,different lightweight wheels etc compared to the 312R.
Also Dave I must say you Kiwi's do play a good game of Rugby Union.
Happy New Year almost.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Happy New Year to you too, Brother.
Just 12 hours to go over here.
Just a quiet one planned as I'm old.

Take care,
Dave.
Dave, join Poppy and myself in the age old (since 1972) tradition of doing wheelstands at midnight. First wheelies in the World :stickpoke and this year is our last to be first...............:f4::f4::f4:

·
Registered
517 Posts
The specs they're showing are for a 312 R (998 cc and 183 bhp), not an RR 312 (1078 cc and 190 bhp).

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
The specs they're showing are for a 312 R (998 cc and 183 bhp), not an RR 312 (1078 cc and 190 bhp).
The photos are definitely a 1078, it says so on the tank, the specs and title say 312R which is 998cc. The seller is obviously a fuckwit that doesn't know what they're talking about. If you're still interested JAndrewG, go see the bike and haggle.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The photos are definitely a 1078, it says so on the tank, the specs and title say 312R which is 998cc. The seller is obviously a fuckwit that doesn't know what they're talking about. If you're still interested JAndrewG, go see the bike and haggle.
It's a dealer (stealer), they probably know exactly what they're doing. Everything they're stating in their ad says "F4 R312". Is it their fault some poor sot thinks he or she is getting an RR 312 just because that's what is on the tank and bodywork? <--sarcasm

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
It's a 1078RR, and at that price, it's a bargain, that is if the bike in the picture is actually the same bike they're selling, best to look up close and personal as mentioned before.

Mitch the R and RR has the same wheels.

Happy Premature New Year Kiwi Fella's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks right to me......EXCEPT......

The right frame plate is wrong. If you go to the website and look at both pictures you will see the proper frame plate on the left side but not on the right.

That would give me pause......

Cheers

Ps. There is a proper frame plate on ebay.co.uk (if someone should buy it and need one)

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
It's a 1078RR, and at that price, it's a bargain, that is if the bike in the picture is actually the same bike they're selling, best to look up close and personal as mentioned before.

Mitch the R and RR has the same wheels.

Happy Premature New Year Kiwi Fella's.
Yes Donsy,living up to my reputation,always get something wrong.Thought I was going well too.:jsm:
Happy New Year mate when it happens.:)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Looks right to me......EXCEPT......

The right frame plate is wrong. If you go to the website and look at both pictures you will see the proper frame plate on the left side but not on the right.

That would give me pause......

Cheers

Ps. There is a proper frame plate on ebay.co.uk (if someone should buy it and need one)
Frame plate looks fine to me, what do you see that I don't ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I almost bought a used f3 from them. They're a small dealer (primarily used) that sells mostly japanese stuff. From my experience in looking at their f3 selection they just dont know much about non japanese bikes. They knew very little about the mv's they had (everywhere from the history of the specific bikes to the features of the specific model). It wouldnt surprise me at all if they just didnt know what they had and in this case it's in the consumers favor.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts