MV Agusta Forum banner

Is the F3 800 for me?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PTsalas 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some help deciding whether or not to buy this bike! The decision is killing me lately.

I'll be test riding the bike in a few days, which will help, but I still want some opinions.

25 years ago I rode a cruiser for 2 years or so. Was 18ish. Rode a LOT, but not very aggressively. Stopped riding.

2 Years ago I got back into riding. Took the mandatory course, classroom and practical here. Wanted a bike to do everything with, and wasn't sure if I could handle an aggressive sportbike, so I bought a naked bike, A 2012 Triumph Street Triple R. I've put about 12000 km on it so far. Done long road trips, evening cruises, day trips, and 3 track days so far. I commute on the bike most days.

Now I want to upgrade. The street is a little too slow on the straights on my track days. The Japanese supersports all pass me on the straights, and then I get held up behind them in the corners. Very annoying. It was also difficult to hang off the bike properly with the upright handlebars etc.

But I wasn't sure if I could handle the sportbike position or not, so I bought daytona clip ons and rear sets and mounted them on the street triple, since it's basically the same bike, just down 20 hp. So for the last 4 months I've been riding it like this, and love it. I don't have any problem with the position, so now I know I want a proper sport bike.

I was dead set on the Ducati Panigale 899 right up until I rode it. It's very pretty,and does a few things very well (electronics, turns in very quickly, feels light, good power - when you thrash it) but too many things wrong for me (vibrates and sounds like a tractor at idle or under about 5000 rpm., felt "loose" on the road compared to my street triple - like the tires were slipping just a bit on the road surface, got fairly hot, has no power below 6000rpm or so. Controls feel a bit cheap compared to my Triumph.) Mostly, I just couldn't live with the engine.

So I started to look at the F3s since it seems I'm addicted to triples. And once you've looked at an F3, how can any other bike look good?

So I'm torn between a Triumph Daytona 675R and an MV Agusta F3800 ABS.

I know the Daytona will be a lot like my bike, only a bit better in every way really. Suspension, brakes, power are all a step up right away. Plus apparently the weight distribution and chassis changes are not insignificant from the pre-2012 models to the 2013+ models. Plus ABS. But it's a bit ugly in it's current form. And I know aesthetics aren't everything, but they do count for something. And I know every day when I look out the window and see a Daytona 675R, I will be slightly disappointed it's not an f3 800, unless I hate it when I ride it.

My questions are:

1. How hard is this bike to ride? A lot of threads seem to make it sound as if it's a different beast from other bikes and it takes some getting used to to be comfortable on it. It seems like people who have had it for weeks or even months are still trying to get comfortable with the bike...is it really this hard to ride?? What makes it so hard for people to get used to?

2. I take my riding seriously. I have pushed myself and my bike hard to develop some real skills, but I do only have 2 years/12000km on an aggressive bike. Is the F3 800 going to be too much for a relative new comer like me?

3. Overall how is reliability and service? There is an MV dealer in my city, but even still I don't really want a bike that's going to have a lot of issues.

4. How bad is the head shake problem? As someone who will lightly push the bike on the street do I need to worry about it, or is it really only for hardcore aggressive track riding, which I might not get around to this year?

5. What are the differences between the 2 steering dampers MV sells for the F3 800? The descriptions on the site are pretty much useless!

6. Are there frame sliders available? How much protection is available for the bike? I don't plan on going down, but if I take it to the track I plan to have as much protection as possible just in case!

Thanks in advance for your help! I hope to soon join the ranks of the MV Agusta owners!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I rode my F3 800 for almost 3 weeks now, so I can't really input a lot on this beauty.

1. I'm 1.8m tall, weight at 72kg. It's hard for me to lean on the tank when I want to push harder, to conclude this, the height of the order is important to feel comfortable or not on the bike. Overall, I feel OK with the riding position.

2. To be honest, before I lay on hand on F3 800, I rode my Brutale 800 for 6 months. Brutale 800 felt more power and hard to control at lower RPM. But F3 800 is just perfect, it doesn't overkill at lower RPM and give you more power at higher RPM.

3. Can't comment too much on the reliability, as by far I didn't face much problem except that my swingarm screw came loose and I lose the screw after a long ride. Got to replace it and get it tight up with some loctite.

4. Head shake can be solved by putting the steering damper. Before install the steering damper, I suggest not to open the throttle aggressively.

5. Can't help much on this.

6. You can look for R&G from Design corse, they provide great service. R&G doesn't need to cut any hole on the fairing though.

Cheers.

#3 ·
Think about it this way. You can tweak the Triumph 675R motor and chassis to make it your own over time, but you can't easily make it look as good as the MV. Ain't gonna happen.
I faced this decision a couple of years ago, when the F3 675 was just being introduced. I was all set to buy the Triumph, until I saw the F3 prototype at an IMS show. I haven't regretted that decision.

#4 · (Edited)
1. It's like any other bike. You'll get use to it's quirks and learn how it needs to be ridden. I believe the biggest problem for most is getting used to the Ride by Wire throttle although I understand the 800 has a heavier spring to make it feel more like actual cables.

2. Doing track days makes the 800 the logical next step for you. You'll smoke those 600's on the straights as well as be capable of out braking them going into corners. Ride smart, grow your experience incrementally and you'll do fine.

3. Reliability and service is MV's downfall here in Canada. The brand is so new, it's market segment small and the dealers few and far between. The 800 does have some issues but Monette's (or Claude Ste-Marie Sports) should be able to rectify any problems you may encounter.

4. Some feel no need for a damper on a smooth race track. However, over frost heaved Canadian roads I find it's a must have item.

5. I agree on lack of description but basically it boils down to price. As the photos show they are of two different designs. I can't say one is better than the other but the Ohlins has the name. The MV branded damper is made by Gubellini which I have, (without the MV logo). You can read my Gubellini story here: Elation to frustration in 5 seconds. I'm very happy with mine and it cost me far less then the Ohlins.

6. As others have stated, check out the forum supporters and surf the web. There are numerous types and manufactures to choose from. You might even think about some after market body panels if you're going to be doing 4 or more track days per year.

Let us know how you like the 800 and when you'll be taking delivery of yours. :naughty:

Salut

#5 ·
I was going to write out a long post covering all your points, but largely everyone else answering has said what I'd say.

It's the natural step up from a Street on track and whilst it's a bigger leap than a 675, to me that means it's a more sensible one as there's more to explore.

Don't be scared of power - for sure respect it, but it's not a mega leap.

Do it :)

#6 ·
Thanks for the answers everyone, I'm definitely feeling braver about it now. Can't wait for my test ride!

Do both of the MV supplied steering dampers attach above the triple clamp? I've heard they interfere with helmets in full tuck, is this true?

#8 ·
...Do both of the MV supplied steering dampers attach above the triple clamp? I've heard they interfere with helmets in full tuck, is this true?
Yes, both mount above as seen in the photos. I've read that same comment and for the life of me can't figure out how anyone would hit their helmet on the damper.

Ohlins:

Gubellini:

#7 ·
I've just replaced my 2011 speed triple with the F3 800 and for me it was the handling characteristic that I had missed the most (had a track gsxr before the triumph). The S3 was no slouch but on the canyon road it needed a little coaxing to switch angle.
The F3 800 is a complete opposite as it is so eager to please in the turns. I still have <300 miles but so far so good. The idling (noise/vibration) is...."Italian", the ride-by-wire throttle takes some getting used to and ANY decent steering damper will help tame this beast head-shakes (I went with the Öhlins) and no interference here whatsoever in full tuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.