MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a replacement thermostat for the F4 1000 that is maybe 30-40 degrees F cooler? I just picked up my new baby a couple of hours ago, and it was about 95F here in Houston when I left the dealership, around 11:30 AM. I got on the highway for about 5 miles, doing 70-75 mph, and the engine was running right at 199F. When I got off the highway and started running in traffic it was going as high as 220F +. The backsides of my thighs felt like they were being barbequed. Youch!

If anyone knows of a lower temp thermo, factory or aftermarket, please post the info. I'd also like to know if anyone's tried a different fan sensor switch, alhough I'm not sure how much that would help.

Ciao,
John

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
lower thermostat is not going to help your bike run cooler in stop/go traffic.

the thermostat should be fully open at 90C (194F). you could check to see if your thermostat is not meeting that spec.

the only way to get the bike to run cooler is to exchange more heat with the radiator, and then get the radiator to dump more heat to the air. so, you either need more heat exchange capacity (bigger radiator) and/or more air flow over it.

as for the fan sensor switch, there have been some ideas thrown around here, like changing the resistance of that thing so that the fan comes on sooner.

does your bike's temperature come down if it is fully warmed up (you've been riding for a few miles) and you have it on the side stand (stationary) and the fans are on?

for point of reference, my bike will overheat under these conditions, but then again, i've messed with it and probably induced this problem. i belive it's my idle speed & CO setting. i'll be working on this more this week and hope to have some more info to report back to the forum.

alex

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Altoon, I didn't mean to give the impression that the bike was overheating. In fact, I kept a close eye on that since the manual says to shut it off if it gets to 240F or so, and it only ever got a bit over 220F. I only meant it runs very hot, based on experiences with other bikes I've ridden. I mentioned the temperature reading 199F at highway speeds in 95+ degree weather. My Falco typically runs 163F under the same conditions. Granted, it's a v-twin, and doesn't make near as much HP, but that's a huge difference when your pushing that much air through the radiator. My thinking was more along the line of seeing lower temps on the F4 at cruising speed.

Interestingly, driving around town on my Falco I've only seen the temp go up to 203F in traffic, or at lights, at which point the fans kick in and drop it back to 198 before they shut off. I know the fans are working on the F4 because I can feel them blowing the hot air while stopped. Perhaps a different sensor switch would help if the fans came on sooner, perhaps not.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Be carefull on later bikes when trying to later the temp at which the fans come on, this temp is governed by the ecu, the information this sensor gives is also used to determine the bikes engine temperature and the fuelling required for that temperature.
Early bikes (2000 model) have a seperate switch located in the LH side header tank to switch the fans on. Later bikes have the fans controlled via the ecu and the sensor by the thermostat housing, the small sensor in the LH head tank supplies a temp readout to the dashboard whether its an early or late bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike. I didn't know the fans were tied to the ecu. A friend suggested that Agusta may have designed them to run hot for more complete combustion with the high compression ratios. Seems sort of counter-intuitive since a higher compression ratio is more likely to cause detonation. I think you'd want to run it cooler to lessen the chance.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Its a very hot running bike, mine has actually burnt some of the cooling fan blades with the header temp, I now try and wait for the fans to come on when I get home, then kill the motor with the kill switch and leave the fans running untill they turn off, normally five minutes or so

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
All out sport bikes like the MV's differ in the fact that weight and small packaging is a main concern. The smallest parts are used throughout, (like radiators)

Other bikes, (sport tourers, like your Falco) are often fitted with bigger radiators so cooling is not a problem.

For example, on my dyno, ALL new liter bikes (R1's, zx10's, GSXR1K) need cooldowns between runs. Bigger bikes like the Busas, zx12's, big liquid cooled Beemers etc have bigger radiators that are not on the edge cooling wise. These bikes are less concerned with weight.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
airfuel said:
These bikes are less concerned with weight.
Ironic though that our bikes are the heavier ones in thier class :laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts