MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone -

As you know from my earlier posts I recently purchased a 2006 910s with 2000 miles on it. After a few weeks' ownership, and a discussion with the MV Agusta dealership, I may have to do some work to correct several issues. Among them are: (1) repeated stalling, (2) unstable idle (surges up and down), (3) weak battery - probably needs replacement, and several other minor, but annoying issues, possibly affecting the SKU or fuse box.

Although I've not had a firm estimate, from looking around this forum I'd estimate the cost in a broad range of $1,000 - $2,000.

My question is, is it worth doing the work and upgrading my current bike, or should I consider moving to a newer bike (910R after 2006 which supposedly has less issues) or even a newer 1078 or something similar?

I'm not displeased with my bike, but I'm just trying to decide how best to "spend" or "invest" the money while still keeping a MV Agusta in my garage. If the price of the work is about what I'd spend to upgrade, is it reasonable to consider that option, or not?

·
Registered
187 Posts
i'd go for a new 1078, which can be had for much less nowadays, or the new 990r or 1090rr, both of which are awesome bikes with none of the problems you are currently experiencing. my 2 cents. good luck.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
How come you haven't fitted a new battery yet?

It's $100 and will probably sort all of your issues. When the batteries are dead on these bikes they do strange things (stalling being one of them). When my old F4 battery died, i had stalling, fan, dash issues. got a new battery in and it solved everything.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the battery heads up. It died during a MSF class with lots of low speed riding and lots of idling causing the fan to run quite a bit.

I have been charging it on a battery tender at home and it seems to be holding a charge well. I don't have the tools to properly check the battery, but when I drop it off for service it will be replaced.

·
Registered
716 Posts
+1 on the new battery. If you like the bike I would keep it for a while and work on getting it dialed in as you see fit. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Chris

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have been charging it on a battery tender at home and it seems to be holding a charge well.
I did the same thing. You charge it, battery looks ok, you ride it, bike dies. Very frustrating :wtf:

Replacing the battery will at least give you some process of elimination and it's the cheapest option because you don't need to pay a workshop heaps of time to look at it. If that doesn't work, get another MV.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I replaced my battery the same day I bought mine. It wouldn't even start the bike. Keep it on a tender for longevity.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would keep it, fix it, get used to it. No matter what kind of great deal you get on a new one, it's going to cost you heaps more than you can get by trading the currrent one in. You'd have to deal with buying the bike, breaking it in, first service, and all that. Once this bike is running well, I think you'll be suprised how much you enjoy it.
I'm sure that your problems are very frustrating, but once they're fixed, and they will be, this time will be a vague memory. Good luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Lencap,

If you go the later model Brutale, you will have fewer issues but you might need more than $1k or $2k. If you went the new 1090 you'll need a lot more than $2k but you will have a new/latest model bike. If I was in your position and had the money, I'd go the worry free path of a new one.
The other option is to bang a new battery in the 910S and see what happens, if all is good then good. If not, rethink your decision.

Dave.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How come you haven't fitted a new battery yet?

It's $100 and will probably sort all of your issues. When the batteries are dead on these bikes they do strange things (stalling being one of them). When my old F4 battery died, i had stalling, fan, dash issues. got a new battery in and it solved everything.

+100

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can get a great deal on a 1078 right now, they are blowing them out at the moment.
Any idea where? I haven't seen any deals around.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Lencap,

FWIW, I bought a used 2007 910R a couple of weeks ago. I really do love it. From what I can tell, and I will know more tomorrow after a dealer service, there has been no modifications done to it other than installing the factory supplied corse exhaust and ECU. I believe 2007 was the last year the exhaust was a part of the purchase when getting a R model motorcycle.

I have put about 500+ miles on it in the last couple of weeks and (knock on wood) I haven't had any stalling or heat issues. Visually I can see the plastic fan blades are still installed, the factory hoses, which also leads me believe the bike still has the factory water pump impeller.

While I agree with the previous posters, that a poor battery can lead to a host of issues, some of which you outline, I think beyond the battery the bike could use a good tuning. Normally, and especially with high performance bikes, in order to meet emissions certifications they end up with a pretty lean tune from the factory. This overall "lean-ness" can lead to stalling and excessively high operating temperatures. Now I am no expert but I believe that while the battery can potentially end the repeated stalling that you are experiencing I am not sure how it will deal with the high operating temperatures that you are experiencing.

As there are many more knowledgeable folks here than me and I would be interested in what their opinions are.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Lencap,I think beyond the battery the bike could use a good tuning.
Funny you mention this as Ducati does this to their bikes from the factory. A LOT of monster owners had stalling issues. They'd go to Ducati who would say 'put on the pipes and ECU and that should fix it'. They'd install the pipes and ECU and the bike would run fine. Luckily i never had this issue but a mate of mine did.

How is that for a bunch of rip off artists. Oh your bike is stalling? Spend $2k and it will work. If you don't spend $2k i'm sorry but that's just how these bikes are.

I agree that a tune might help. A PC3 isn't to expensive but do it after the battery.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Funny you mention this as Ducati does this to their bikes from the factory. A LOT of monster owners had stalling issues. They'd go to Ducati who would say 'put on the pipes and ECU and that should fix it'. They'd install the pipes and ECU and the bike would run fine. Luckily i never had this issue but a mate of mine did.

How is that for a bunch of rip off artists. Oh your bike is stalling? Spend $2k and it will work. If you don't spend $2k i'm sorry but that's just how these bikes are.

I agree that a tune might help. A PC3 isn't to expensive but do it after the battery.
Same issue with my 1098, so I have first hand experience. I have heard from several folks the street fighters are having a tough time running at idle.

I genuinely think that I am avoiding the issues because of the corse exhaust and ecu. I don't think it would cost a grand to fix Lencap's bike. A battery, a PCIII (or other controller) and a tune shouldn't be more than 6-700 bucks. Agreed, I would do the batter first as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is an old saying "the devil you know is better then the devil you don't know"or something like that.
Even if you need an new sku and battery you are under $1000.
Some injector cleaner also goes along way as well as spark plugs ,new air cleaner etc.
Even if you decide to get a newer bike you will need to address the issues you mentioned to sell the 2006 easily.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i test rode a 910R a couple of months back and although i loved the bike decided i wouldn;t be happy untill i'd done the mods i thought it needed , x-bikes ecu and rear spring + set up , about £1500.
at the time i could have bought a new 910R for £8750 so + the mods £10250 ............the new 990R was £11400 and much more comfortable with mirrors that almost work.

in the end i decided i wouldn;t be happy untill i had the 1090RR so took i bit of finance and had the bike i wanted telling myself it was the most cost effective purchase in the long run , i.e no need to change again in 6 months .

my advice would be to find a dealer with a demo 990/1090 , ride them and see what deal they can offer , having read all your posts i think the newer model would suit you better, i realise alot of people will say the older models are the purer bike but having ridden them both the newer ones are more useable everyday so to speak.

steve

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Hi Len,

+100 on the new battery
i don't use a battery tender as the bike would spend less than 3 days without being ridden.

Not sure if you mean SPU or ECU (SKU is unfamiliar to me). 07 and prior models did have a risk of having problems with the SPU (lots of threads)...but if Spohia isn't suffering from the key symptons of an SPU problem....then absolutely spend the 100 and replace the battery. I'm surprised about the estimate to spend to resolve the issues $2k seems quite excessive.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts