MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. For those who dont already know Ive been thinking about getting an F4. Though theres something I didnt mention specifically to avoid what I think you're all going to tell me as many people have. Only experience I have is on mopeds.

So is a litre bike like an F4 too much for a first bike? I do see why pretty much everyone says I will kill myself. I get it, it goes from 0 to very fast in mere seconds and all it takes is someting like a wrong twist of the throttle.

But, and I know others have probably said this before, but can't I just be careful, ride maturely and safely and still get this bike. I would be inclined to do so if only because of the price of an F4 let alone my safety. Where do you all stand on this? Do you think there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I should get one?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Personal opinion.

Do not get one!!

It's not just the power. Bikes like these are very unforgiving they are a RACE bike. You make a small mistake on an f4, your hitting the deck, you make a small mistake on a more forgiving, ROAD bike you have a chance of saving it.

You will learn much much much more riding a smaller more sedate bike then an f4. You will forever be worried about breaking it, and you won't develop as a rider.

Ride something more suited to a learning rider for a year or 2. Then get an f4.

That's not the answer you were looking for. But you already know you aren't ready for it otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's strange but everyone who has said I (or anyone else) shouldn't get such a bike for a first always mention getting yourself killed/hurt and maybe also the fact you're gonna trash the bike and I could look past all that (call it being fearless or stupid). I think what's making decide to start off on smaller bike is what others have sometimes mentioned usually as an aside but you seem to have made your main point: I wouldn't develop as a rider. So thank you mate. I think Im definitly gonna try a smaller bike.

Only problem is which one? i remember when I got my moped I briefly looked into sports bikes and back then there were plenty of options and that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Several 125s but I think I could go a bit bigger but the only 250 I know of is the Ninja. Any suggestions? It must be a sport bike. Also, assuming I go for the ninja, do you think it would be reasonable to go for F4 after that?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Cbr 600 F , around 85 hp and very linear power.
Bmw F800 S , has 80 hp , has always good resale value.
My favourite would be a Triumph Thruxton, has standard 68 hp , with other exhaust and minor tweaks 80 hp.
Problem is that you,ll probably never sell the Thruxton and buy a F4 as second bike.
To give you an idea , if I ever would be forced to one bike it would be my Bonneville. (same engine as the thruxton).
Good luck with whatever bike you buy :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Suzuki SV 650 mate.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
No crystal ball is big enough to predict whether you'll be safe on an F4 as a first bike. The odds, however, statistically are against you.
So, trying to use logic and motivation as a method to answer this one here is a suggestion:
Buy a smaller capacity bike, like the Kawasaki 250 Ninja. Don't limit ownership of that bike to time. Base it on miles travelled. Set a distance that you ride that bike for then, once that goal is reached, feel free to upgrade. Ride the Kawasaki with discipline, as you would the F4.
Stay safe & take care.
What distance should you ride the Kawasaki?
My advice would be at least 8,000 miles.
You'd be surprised how soon you get there.
Dave.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Risk analysis

Big probability of hurting yourself and third party.

By virtue of the fact that you are asking the question
you already know the answer.

How would you feel if the next time you get on airplane they tell you at check in that the pilot had five hours in a Cessna 152 ?

Slowly slowly catch a monkey ; )

Joe

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Hi everyone. For those who dont already know Ive been thinking about getting an F4. Though theres something I didnt mention specifically to avoid what I think you're all going to tell me as many people have. Only experience I have is on mopeds.

So is a litre bike like an F4 too much for a first bike? I do see why pretty much everyone says I will kill myself. I get it, it goes from 0 to very fast in mere seconds and all it takes is someting like a wrong twist of the throttle.

But, and I know others have probably said this before, but can't I just be careful, ride maturely and safely and still get this bike. I would be inclined to do so if only because of the price of an F4 let alone my safety. Where do you all stand on this? Do you think there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I should get one?
With the greatest of respect, you are seriously saying that your two wheeled experience is based on time spent riding a moped?

You are asking would it be a good idea if you went from riding a moped to a very focused 1000cc superbike with around 170bhp and capable of nearly 190 mph.............

Are you are being for real:-

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am going to say go for it, you want an F4 buy it¡ In my country(spain) this would not be posible, we have to have some years of experience before being able to drive a 100cv+ bike.
you want it to make it more forgivven to you? you can make changes to the bike, use a smaller tire on the rear, 180 or 170 and buy a microtec ecu and ask chrish(xbikes) to make you a detuned map for you. buy some good protectors for forks and frame(chasis), buy and extra fairing(cheap) and keep the original for better times.....
But be aware that insurance is going to be a nightmare...

regards
Andoni

PD: if you kill yourself, don´t blame me:thewife:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I am going to say go for it, you want an F4 buy it¡ In my country(spain) this would not be posible, we have to have some years of experience before being able to drive a 100cv+ bike.
you want it to make it more forgivven to you? you can make changes to the bike, use a smaller tire on the rear, 180 or 170 and buy a microtec ecu and ask chrish(xbikes) to make you a detuned map for you. buy some good protectors for forks and frame(chasis), buy and extra fairing(cheap) and keep the original for better times.....
But be aware that insurance is going to be a nightmare...

regards
Andoni

PD: if you kill yourself, don´t blame me:thewife:

:moped::moped::moped::bash::ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
In my experience I passed my test on a Kawasaki er 600,very good bike with enough power to get you used to riding a bigger bike, however when I passed I bought an RGV250, its a two stroke rocket and it really gives the feel of a sports bike and the insurance is relatively cheap. Not only will you gain road riding experience you'll get to know where you need to be on the road.Also it is a good idea to take a course with a traing school or the police do a ride safe which is not very expensive and you will gain heeps of knowledge from them as they ride everyday.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
All bullshit most of the above, buy what you want take care easy on the throttle and enjoy! MV's are one of my biggest enjoments in life - could be yours also and who has the knowledge or the right to tell you not to buy one?
Your decision and yours only a Suzuki 650 will kill you as easily as a litre bike if you are not careful ! Mvidia is sounding pretty sensible!

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
No crystal ball is big enough to predict whether you'll be safe on an F4 as a first bike. The odds, however, statistically are against you.

Indeed, agree with Dave here.

You may be totally fine, but statistically, probably not.

That said, if money isn't much of an object, and you aren't an idiot, you can enjoy the F4 just fine.

A Brutale was my third bike, I test rode an F4-1000 the same day. Scarey! both of them. But hey, you get used to it.

Just don't be an idiot on it!

:blah: :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's only scary if you twist the throttle too much!
Comes down to sensibility and self control!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My 2 cents..... my F4 is the first bike i own. but of course prior to owning my f4 i learned how to ride on a friends R1, then a hayabusa(i crashed this one), then the riding course to get the license. and finally my F4. so my suggestion is, get some experience under your belt then get it. or just go get it. and just clean it when dusty while you learn on something else. well Good Luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
All bullshit most of the above, buy what you want take care easy on the throttle and enjoy! MV's are one of my biggest enjoments in life - could be yours also and who has the knowledge or the right to tell you not to buy one?
Your decision and yours only a Suzuki 650 will kill you as easily as a litre bike if you are not careful ! Mvidia is sounding pretty sensible!

thanks i am just saying that if it is his dream go ahead and fullfill it, i learned riding with a 92" gsxr750, i was 19 years old and other bike was not going to make it for me, i wanted that bike and it was going to be that one. It took some fairing work and hospital service(nothing bad, just scratches:yo:) but i have great memories of those times, i well remember the day i picked my dream...
i think there are ways to make any dream posible, just go and do it, but use your head, cycle side of the bike is pretty safe, the Mv F4 is the most stable bike i have ever driven, the engine side can be tuned to your needs as i mentioned before.

regards
Andoni

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Hey Carlos..I had a Busa before the F4. I damaged the Busa but fortunately for me I wasn't on it. It fell off the side stand..oops $ 2500.00 damage.

Gaz..No one is telling him what to do . He is asking what we think..In the end it is up to him...

You are an experienced rider and it is very easy to forget how ballistic these bikes are. We have got used to them..My route was CD 175, CB 175, RD 250, CB 400/4 , BMW R100, Laverda JOTA 1000, Hayabusa, F4 1000R, F4 1000R 312

The Busa experience was a great help. It had masses of torque, very sensitive throttle and tame handling.

When I first got on the F4 I was fine on the throttle and only had the handling and braking characteristics of the bike to contend with.

Maybe if he did some track work it would improve things significantly...

I know from talking to guys in the States that their laws allow very inexperienced guys to ride practically any bike after a days course to get the permit ?

That doesn't happen in the UK

joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Slowly slowly catch a monkey ; )

That made me laugh.

I'd personally go an rd 125 or 250. Theyre great bikes to learn on.

I went rs125 (owned for a year), 2 year break, cbr600rr (owned for 6 months), 5 year break, Mv 312r ( owned now for nearly a year).

Never dropped a bike and I honestly think I probably would have if I jumped straight onto a 1000 to learn.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My last bike in my early 20's was a Honda 250 Super Dream, came back to biking after 43 year gap. Over the last six years I have owned a Honda CBF600, CBF1000, CBR600RR, Fireblade and a Daytona 675. With each bike covered between 6000 and 9000 miles (pleasure and fair weather only), along with the occasional track day.
I was unable to use the Fireblade to anywhere near it's capability and I am sure if many riders were honest with themselves, they cannot either.
So that is why I am sticking with a 675 and just waiting to collect later this month.

To start with a F4, brave man and from my experience not a great idea

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Gary, our opinions were sought, and we responded. I appreciate all the above opinions, and don't consider any to be bullshit.

As for my opinion.....I've got a couple of questions for our prospective F4 rider. How old? Actual level of experience? City, suburban, or rural rider? What country?

General advice: step up to a monster bike like an f4 after lots of experience on smaller rides.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts