MV Agusta Forum banner

Is everyone happy with their F4-R's???

5K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  boussias 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about selling my S and get an R, so i'd like to know if you F4R owners are happy with the bike, if you have had any issues with it, etc.....

Also i'd like to know if the guys who went from an S to an R, think it was worth it (i've read somewhere tha some prefer the S mapping to the R), or if they knew what they know now they would have kept the S?

Go on guys..... :popcorn: :popcorn:

#2 ·
MV-999R said:
I'm thinking about selling my S and get an R, so i'd like to know if you F4R owners are happy with the bike, if you have had any issues with it, etc.....

Also i'd like to know if the guys who went from an S to an R, think it was worth it (i've read somewhere tha some prefer the S mapping to the R), or if they knew what they know now they would have kept the S?

Go on guys..... :popcorn: :popcorn:
!!!!!BUY SKALUCA F4R!!!!(with race pieces)
Tha price is very good!!!!
Pier

#5 ·
Ok, my R only has about 400mi on it so I can't give any long term info on it. I also have never owned an MV, so I can't adress the S to R switch. I've written up what I believe to be a fairly honest opinion of it previously, but I think I will rewrite it and see if my opinion is consistent.

I guess the first thing to talk about is the fueling. The first couple of hundred break in miles I didn't think the 5K RPM surge would be an issue. As I added break in miles and picked up the pace I found that the surge became an issue. To really describe how it feels- from idle to 5K RPM the engine seems docile and a little flat at lower throttle openings. As the bike hits 5K RPM it begins to accelerate a little under steady throttle. The problem is that it occurs while riding at a moderate street pace right where I like the throttle mid corner, so as I try to hold the throttle neutral the bike begins picking up throttle at or near the apex. I've described the surge as feeling as a lean surge because that is how it feels. I think that if I were riding at a faster pace, I would keep the revs above 5K RPM and it would not be an issue ar I could regear the bike to keep the revs up. The other fix is to simply get the RG3/midpipe and RG3 ecu (or possibly just the ECU) as mikef4uk suggests. I think most people would put on a PCIII and have it tuned anyway, so the $600 for the ECU does not seem steep.
The handling of the bike is superb. I don't have a point of reference in regards to the S. The geometry feels good with the bike stock. I still need to adjust a few things out of the suspension, but at this point I am not shopping for components. I think the biggest benifit of the R are the wheels. They are very light and the bike definitely benefits from them.
As far as the brakes, they stop well but lack a bit of feel. I'm sure the reason that MV has kept the nissin M/C is really a matter of asthetics and more importantly fairing clearance.

So why did I buy the R over the S, simple economics. The R has better wheels, better calipers and enough engine changes that it made sense to me to buy that bike. I guess you will need to see what the difference between the bikes will cost you and balance that. I will tell you I love the R and don't regret the purchase at all.

Hope it helps.

#6 ·
I dont know about the S, but the R is the best bike I have even ridden!

With the obligatory mods: 1) stnd exhaust & ECU with the RG3 and race ECU and 2) brake cylinder with the Brembo radial one (19x18).
(for sure you have read the threads)

#7 ·
No :eek: but maybe that's because I don't have one :stickpoke

#9 ·
Tiago see this:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5251

My opinion is this: Not much of a difference. Low and mid range the S revs up stronger. High revs the R model is faster (after 9000 rpm). Front suspension is better on the S model IMHO. The front RAC 50 front suspension is track oriented and not street, making the bike a bit nervous on the road where you need a softer suspension. There is a difference how easy the bike flicks (but you already know what I am going to do about it :yo: )

Mike can answer to this question cause he traded his S model for the R....mike :stickpoke ??

#10 ·
Hi MV-999R, I have ridden the R, see my earlier post on it.
My conclusion was it was a racier version, targeted at fast guys and track day punters.
I talked myself back into the S as I mainly use on the road, but I am being tempted back to the track. A few friends have 1098S's on order, and to play at the track I may opt for an R. That would be my motivation to upgrade.

#12 ·
MVASyd said:
Hi MV-999R, I have ridden the R, see my earlier post on it.
My conclusion was it was a racier version, targeted at fast guys and track day punters.
I talked myself back into the S as I mainly use on the road, but I am being tempted back to the track. A few friends have 1098S's on order, and to play at the track I may opt for an R. That would be my motivation to upgrade.
Hi MVASyd, why do you say it's more racier?
Suspension wise? Breaks?

#13 ·
Hi again,
it is overall harder. The bike is setup for track riding IMO. The feedback from the front, on the road is not the same as the S model.
For the brakes, you should buy a Brembo radial master cylinder (19x18) cause when you brake you don't have a good feeling. With the Brembos you know exactly where you gonna stop. I think that you gonna get a good deal now that the 312 is coming.
But why don't you go for the 312? It will have the CC engine with shorter bore, along with the titanium valves it will rev up like crazy!! Besides if you want low torque you have the 999 for this job. No I4 can match V2 in low torgue. :)

#14 ·
boussias said:
Hi again,
it is overall harder. The bike is setup for track riding IMO. The feedback from the front, on the road is not the same as the S model.
For the brakes, you should buy a Brembo radial master cylinder (19x18) cause when you brake you don't have a good feeling. With the Brembos you know exactly where you gonna stop. I think that you gonna get a good deal now that the 312 is coming.
But why don't you go for the 312? It will have the CC engine with shorter bore, along with the titanium valves it will rev up like crazy!! Besides if you want low torque you have the 999 for this job. No I4 can match V2 in low torgue. :)
If i were to buy a new R i would wait and probably get a 312 instead, but if i get the R i will buy a low km one in mint condition ;)

And are you sure the overall harder felling you got from the R was not because it was a new bike as opposed to you S that was already breaked in?

#15 ·
To analyse what I said a little bit more:
Have a look at the stock suspension settings that the S model was delivered to us. The R model has a totally different settings at the front from the S model. The difference is on the internal spring and the valves. Thus the RAC 50s on the R model are harder. I think that Mike mentioned this as well on a thread when he was talking about the Race ECU and the 5000 surge. Consider this: You have to buy the RG3s and the race ECU, otherwise the bike is "lazy" up to 5-6000 rpm and then it pulls really hard. My opinion again. Get the 312 :)
Take care
PS: Ducati management sucks....(Wank...ers). I am staying away as well. :)

#16 ·
I have driven a brand new S model recently and the feeling was the same. What I love with these bikes is that suspension can be tuned. What I mean is that with one "click" difference and the bike acts like a different bike. It's not like the japanese suspension that you adjust it and you barely feel the difference.
Can't you test drive one to see on your own? That would be the best...:)

#17 ·
MV-999R said:
Hi MVASyd, why do you say it's more racier?
Suspension wise? Breaks?
The front feels harder because the internal cartridges are 26mm on the R v 18?mm on the S, they are also harder to revalve than the S forks,

Engine is better than the R but only when the RG3 ecu is fitted,as Rob and myself have said in past posts the 5k thing starts to piss you off after a few miles.
Ebs is better as well, as is the fact that the bike will blip for downchanges, once the RG3 ecu is fitted the engine and fuelling are very good, none of that fluffy stuff below 3000 rpm that the S has.

Electrics are better and neater, the loom is not as big or heavy, headlamps stay off untill the engine is running, starter motor, like a Ducati one, spins all by itself for a timed period with just a small flick of the button.

Brakes are very good but not as pretty as the S!

I would agrre that the R is probably more track biased, but anyone who thinks the S isn't track biased is mistaken.

The engine runs hotter than the S which is annoying, whenever my friend and I stop the R is always 10c hotter than his S, I have seen 108c at traffic lights quite often.

which one do I like the best? the "R", but only just!!

Mike

#18 ·
mikef4uk said:
The front feels harder because the internal cartridges are 26mm on the R v 18?mm on the S, they are also harder to revalve than the S forks,

Engine is better than the R but only when the RG3 ecu is fitted,as Rob and myself have said in past posts the 5k thing starts to piss you off after a few miles.
Ebs is better as well, as is the fact that the bike will blip for downchanges, once the RG3 ecu is fitted the engine and fuelling are very good, none of that fluffy stuff below 3000 rpm that the S has.

Electrics are better and neater, the loom is not as big or heavy, headlamps stay off untill the engine is running, starter motor, like a Ducati one, spins all by itself for a timed period with just a small flick of the button.

Brakes are very good but not as pretty as the S!

I would agrre that the R is probably more track biased, but anyone who thinks the S isn't track biased is mistaken.

The engine runs hotter than the S which is annoying, whenever my friend and I stop the R is always 10c hotter than his S, I have seen 108c at traffic lights quite often.

which one do I like the best? the "R", but only just!!

Mike
+1 THANKS MIKE. YOUR ENGLISH ARE MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN MINE :)
That's what I was trying to say. :)

:f4: :f4:

#26 ·
Hi MV-999R!

Well as you might remember I had the F41000S 1+1 and I can remember it was the same year as yours. When I reded up to the Senna (which is basically the R just a little bit dressed up and a SACHS rear shock) I really could tell the difference. Let me give you my impressions:

1) This one really stops, the S had very funky feeling brakes (compared to anything with radial brakes case in point my old Yamaha R1).
2) The engine feeling, noise and vibration were improved big time, the S engine gave me the feeling as if the engine oil had sand on it...The new one runs very smooth.
3) I am not a racer by far, but I could easily feel the extra horses, and be aware that I had the RG-3, no cat and tuned up Chip on my S and nothing on my Senna (I will add the RG-3 and the no-cat mod later on).
4) The response on the throtle is precise, unlike my S that was inpossible to neutral-throtle it.
5) The new Marchesini (Brembo) wheels are not only beautiful but lighter.

Just as miscelaneous comments: I would add that I luv to see the Neutral Gear light working as it should, and my gearbox working a lot smoother. and not that 4-5K funny noise of the engine.

I hope this serves you as an additional opinion on this interesting subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.