MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I work in the Midwest and have somewhat relocated South in anticipation of retirement, I move around a bit. I recounted on this site my first Brutale sighting at the South dealer, and my subsequent purchase of a factory demo from the dealer, I usually patronize. The savings was about 5k, so I did not think anything about buying from a dealer I truly enjoy doing business with. Today I visisted the dealer of the first sighting. I was given the cold shoulder by the salesperson I had talked to previously. Though he was not particularly pleasant on the first visit. All that he did was wheel the bike out the door and started it. I also asked about a used 910R, I had seen the day before. I was told it was in a container and it was too much work to find. Though the owner of the dealership did show it to me and even offered a test ride. I did not take him up on it as I did not consider myself a serious customer at that time.

So to make it up to them, I tried to buy a tank bag today. As the Brutale has a plastic tank, I thought a Marsee Carona with a gas cap connector would be good. These carried a sticker of 240 to 300 dollars. I decided on the middle size and though they had the bag with the correct connector in another size and it would have not been a big deal to switch the connectors. This seem like a big deal so I agreed to order the correct bag. When I politely asked the saleswoman for some sort of a discount, she walked away. While I realize a retail business must make a profit, I am also in retail and people constantly balk at paying me 5% over cost for comparibly priced items. When I have to say no to their deal, I always do it politely. I also have purchased about 1000.00 worth of stuff over the years from this same dealer, always paying their full price or marked sale price.

So I browsed some more, wanting to have a repotoire with these guys, as I will need to go there for service. However, from my business I know that cases have at least a 100% markup to retail list which was their selling price. So I really needed some sort of discount. So I approached a different guy at the parts counter and asked if he could throw in a dealership t-shirt which was priced at 19.95. This probably cost the dealer 5 or at the most 10 dollars. This would then be a discount of 2 to 4%. He said he would check with his manager. He came back and said that the t-shirts are high demand items and that I did not buy my bike there. Now a dealer makes maybe 1500.00 on a full price bike and does a lot of work. The profit on the bag was probably 130.00 even with the free shirt. I found the bag at another dealer for 35.00 less and online for $100 less.

Lesson one. I am in the wrong business. Lesson two. Be careful what you say around here. You never know who may be lurking.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
That is interesting, I have found this to be true of most places. If you did not buy the bike from them you generally get the snub.

So I ask this, why do you feel you can ask for a discount on an item at a motorcycle store that is locally owned. Do you go into cycle gear ask them for a discount on an item? Perhaps you should try this at Wal Mart as well...

I do not understand why people ask for discounts on small items. There is a price tag on them, if you do not want to pay that price just do not buy it. I for one would rather pay a higher price to keep the small local guys in business. They do not get the discounts of larger cooperations, they have heating and cooling to pay for, staff to pay, etc.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I own a small business, and have for quite a few years. It always annoys me when someone feels their entitled to a discount, especially when purchasing a single item.
Maybe if you were interested in ten of them they would have entertained your request.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Having a few horses in the barn here, I have business with several dealers. They might not do everything to my satisfaction, but most of the time they do and I know they try. I don't try to nickel and dime them. I pay what they ask, and we have a great relationship. I might pay slightly more than someone who is totally about price, but I'm more about relationship. I get all kinds of insider info. I get all kinds of preferential service... like bike appointments, loaner bikes, extra product care. Sometimes they give me things, like an unsold road atlas. It is unsolicated -- they just give it because they value my loyalty, and me as a customer. I'm easy going.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So you "tried to make it up to them" by asking for a discount?

And why do you feel entitled to a discount when you've purchased nothing from them before?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
In a side business I own, the more you buy the higher the price. Seriously. Allow me to explain. I sell a commodity that is in very limited supply. It is going to cost me more to replace what I have. Therefore, if you are depleting my entire stock you will get no discount. Eventually supply will catch up with the demand and then quantity buyers will get a discount, but not in the forseeable future.

Clear as mud.

CAG

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Well, I know mine is watching, but not really sure what that has to do with discounts.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Interesting.....

Does one ask the gas station attendant for a discount on gas? Does one ask for a discount on the groceries they buy? Does one ask for a discount on their electricity or water bill? Does one offer to buy a girl a drink and then ask them to pitch in .50 for a show of good faith? Does one go sign up for a sky dive jump and ask for a discount?<---if you do then you shouldn't be jumping out of planes.

Unless you are making a large purchase or buying consistantly for a long time then one should not feel entitled to a discount. Just put yourself in the other persons shoes. You are trying to nickle and dime someone for a small purchase item. It may be a different story if you make a rather large purchase at one time or over the course of time, but you have to build up a relationship before you could ever expect something like that. Expect is to strong a word. If you build up a relationship with your dealer, or anyone, you still should never 'expect' them to discount things for you. They do it out of their own goodwill, and not because you ask. If you have to ask, then you are being a dick. If you want it cheaper then shop around for a better deal, or put in the thousands, millions, billions of dollars in to open up your own business so you can get the items you want at/below cost.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do own a retail business. Almost 50 years. Nobody, absolutely nobody is willing to pay full retail price. Most everyone shops around, many will point out a lower price if I do not already have it. I have to shop my competition continuosly. If they have found a lower price, they are doing me a favor by asking because they would rather buy from me than elsewhere. If they are willing to pay a little more than online, then they are really nice people. Some will ask for a discount even if I have the lowest price. If I need to say no then I do it politely. I feel that $275 for a bag is a big purchase. Maybe I am just not in the wealth league of other MV owners.

The point is I do not care if they bought the main item (in this case a camera) elsewhere. Sometimes, I pretend I think they bought it from me and offer them the small accessory discount for having bought it from me originally. All the profit is in the accessories and services. The reason dealers offer you a small discount on accessories when you buy a bike is not to sell the bike but to get you in the mindset of buying ad ons. The reason many auto dealers give the first oil change free is to get you in the habit of coming to them for service. The bag was going to give the dealer 10% of the profit of a bike with none of the hassles.

My main point, however, was they already knew I had bought a bike elsewhere. Moreover, it bothered them even though this was a bike (in this case a demo) that they did not have to sell.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Interesting to hear that. I always thought the customer service was great in the USA. Now regarding a discount, yes if I'm spending a large amount of money, I would like a discount. I think its part of the course these days, people like to get a little something off. When I had a Triumph the dealer would always give me a discount what ever the price of the item. Getting back to customer service, its crap in the UK. Perhaps you have dealt with a UK company, but the way they treat their customers is terrible. The majority of MV dealers in the UK in my personal opinion are crap. Just want your money and not that interested in customer service. I can see a lot of companies going tits up.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My main point, however, was they already knew I had bought a bike elsewhere.
But isn't that obvious to them without them reading this site, figuring out who you are, etc?

I mean if you go in to them to buy accessories and they know you've not bought a bike from them then it's pretty obvious you must have bought one elsewhere, no?

Si

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
But isn't that obvious to them without them reading this site, figuring out who you are, etc?

I mean if you go in to them to buy accessories and they know you've not bought a bike from them then it's pretty obvious you must have bought one elsewhere, no?

Si
+1

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Dova80 said:
That is interesting, I have found this to be true of most places. If you did not buy the bike from them you generally get the snub.

So I ask this, why do you feel you can ask for a discount on an item at a motorcycle store that is locally owned. Do you go into cycle gear ask them for a discount on an item? Perhaps you should try this at Wal Mart as well...

I do not understand why people ask for discounts on small items. There is a price tag on them, if you do not want to pay that price just do not buy it. I for one would rather pay a higher price to keep the small local guys in business. They do not get the discounts of larger cooperations, they have heating and cooling to pay for, staff to pay, etc.

Just my 2 cents...
Nice one Dova +1 from me!

I understand what bmwducatiman has to say (hope you add MV to that name), but asking for discount on small items is unfair. It took me a good year to get a discount from my local dealer.
I bought a bike, full leathers, gloves, boots and an Arai RX7 to get reasonable discount on the second lot of equipment I bought there.
BUT no discount on the MV ... but hey, its sitting in the garage, so who cares!

·
Registered
33 Posts
personally, depending on what I know about the mark ups of a dealer, I will play them against each other sometimes. A lot harder with a bike like an MV, but with gear its very possible. (I am only talking places which mark up by 100% + here..) I should definitely expect a discount on anything that the dealer is making a profit on. why? because they can sell to me and make a bit of money, (maybe not so exorbitant an amount as usual..) or they can watch me walk out the door and give that same money to their competitors.

and not only that, but by giving me a discount, I am trading with them for my loyalty with my next purchase. It all has a roll on effect. the more they give me discounts the more I recommend my friends (who will also ask for a discount) but even though the dealer isn't making as much directly now, he is making it up in bulk sales, and in the relationship with his supplier, who will start selling him items cheaper because of his rollover quantity.

To all those who say that they don't deserve a discount on small items, or that you need to buy a lot from a place before you can expect a discount etc.. thats pretty rubbish in my opinion, and you are really throwing your money away, and making the dealer lazy in the process.

the only exceptions to this rule are when 1 business has a monopoly over an area or a product, in that case (like with MV dealers) they can ask what they want, and if you don't like it then you don't get your product.

just my 2c.

·
Registered
137 Posts
B SMITH said:
I own a small business, and have for quite a few years. It always annoys me when someone feels their entitled to a discount, especially when purchasing a single item.
Maybe if you were interested in ten of them they would have entertained your request.

+1 discounts .... :jerkoff:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If you buy your gear from a dealer, you're throwing money away ...
Get your size, and buy it from sellers online , or Ebay for half the bloody price...simple.

For a $2000 suit here in Aust from a bike shop, I bought the same suit
from the States for $700US..shipped to my door !!!

Dealers are for bikes, replacement parts and servicing... :wave:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
!nsane said:
personally, depending on what I know about the mark ups of a dealer, I will play them against each other sometimes. A lot harder with a bike like an MV, but with gear its very possible. (I am only talking places which mark up by 100% + here..) I should definitely expect a discount on anything that the dealer is making a profit on. why? because they can sell to me and make a bit of money, (maybe not so exorbitant an amount as usual..) or they can watch me walk out the door and give that same money to their competitors.

and not only that, but by giving me a discount, I am trading with them for my loyalty with my next purchase. It all has a roll on effect. the more they give me discounts the more I recommend my friends (who will also ask for a discount) but even though the dealer isn't making as much directly now, he is making it up in bulk sales, and in the relationship with his supplier, who will start selling him items cheaper because of his rollover quantity.

To all those who say that they don't deserve a discount on small items, or that you need to buy a lot from a place before you can expect a discount etc.. thats pretty rubbish in my opinion, and you are really throwing your money away, and making the dealer lazy in the process.

the only exceptions to this rule are when 1 business has a monopoly over an area or a product, in that case (like with MV dealers) they can ask what they want, and if you don't like it then you don't get your product.

just my 2c.
Exorbitant markups are based on the business surviving and the priciple making enough profit to live comfortably on ... Hell if they are willing to take a chance on making a business work, I'll pay RRP.
Judging from the amount of dealerships going belly up in Perth,there can't be that much money in motorcycle shops.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ok Ozboy, i was not trying to be offensive or anything :p

obviously over in perth you do not have Action or Frasers motorcycles. they are both big chains over east here, and the markups are just nuts. It has stopped being living comfortably by the owner and gone to franshising out etc, so obviously the money is there.

Velocemoto: I feel a bit slack when I do that though, especially if you try leathers on in a store to get the right size. (although with action and frasers I don't mind so much) I was actually thinking of a set of Tiger Angel leathers, or something similar. around $1500 for a completely custom set of roo leathers, with custom colours, sizes and styles, (plus an australian warranty) but I agree 100% on the stupid distributor markups in Aus of Dainese, alpinestars etc.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
!nsane said:
Velocemoto: I feel a bit slack when I do that though, especially if you try leathers on in a store to get the right size. (although with action and frasers I don't mind so much) I was actually thinking of a set of Tiger Angel leathers, or something similar. around $1500 for a completely custom set of roo leathers, with custom colours, sizes and styles, (plus an australian warranty) but I agree 100% on the stupid distributor markups in Aus of Dainese, alpinestars etc.

I know what you mean....I must admit, I've never purposely tried things on with the sole intention of walking out and buying online...BUT....

I feel it's the buyer who is slack at times, willing to accept anything, especially at the higher end of products...

I wanted to buy my leathers from Peter Stevens {Largest retailer in Melb}...A* full one piece. Tried it on, ready to buy...asked the obvious question.... "What's the best you can do on this suit".............answer back, "have a look at the tag mate"

This pissed me off no end....here I was, standing in nearly the most expensive suit in the shop, ready to buy, and I was copping attitude...

I knew dam well i could get it online, but I wanted to buy from the shop as I knew the fit was good, straight up...all they had to do was offer a decent price and they would of had a sale...too easy.

I politely took the suit off, and bought online
..and I must say, the online store i bought from were nothing but helpful and a pleasure to deal with....first class service, first class product....at almost half the price.
Wonder what the mark was in the shop.....

From what i've dealt with, it seems US customer service is far better than
out bike shops here....

Anyway, i dont feel slack at all..... I'm a customer with money, i did my research, and bought what was best for me.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts