·
Registered
988 Posts
Well done Kevin :yo: You wilily old coot :smoking:

Goes to show, when you got it, you got it :drummer:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
That's pretty bloody cool in anyone's language & look at the guy!!! It's not his 49 years have been 'easy' - even MORE remarkable :yo: Congrats man - job very well done. :yo:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Absolutely Right ...,Kevin Schwantz is a legend (some tend to forget and write these guys off).
Well done proving your doubters wrong....,when you 'really' have it...,you never loose it.
Brian.

·
Administrator
19,794 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Legends?:stickpoke for kevin Schwantz own standard they have won nothing... right? he won a 500cc champ because the real legend broke his neck and haga 3 times second on superbikes and kagayama several GPs with nothing... so as Kevin Schwantz not long time ago said they have won NOTHING.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Legends?:stickpoke for kevin Schwantz own standard they have won nothing... right? he won a 500cc champ because the real legend broke his neck and haga 3 times second on superbikes and kagayama several GPs with nothing... so as Kevin Schwantz not long time ago said they have won NOTHING.
Why, because they're not Spanish.:stickpoke
Sometimes doing things other than being a World Champ can cause people to call you a legend, these guys contributed a lot the sport and the show. Legends in my eyes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Why, because they're not Spanish.:stickpoke
Sometimes doing things other than being a World Champ can cause people to call you a legend, these guys contributed a lot the sport and the show. Legends in my eyes.
let me tell you my friend that i have been a fan of kevin since i was a boy( i have all his helmets, also some lucky strike leathers etc....), i remberber that race, 1991, hockenhaim, Schwantz and Rainey, Last lap, going to the stadium, that braking manouvre was incredible, those things make legends.
But some weeks ago i took a look at a magazine a Legend on my eyes desapear.... those words for other fellow rider, which is 3 times world champ.... and Pedrosa has done NOTHING,
you Schwantz did nothing¡¡¡¡¡

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
let me tell you my friend that i have been a fan of kevin since i was a boy( i have all his helmets, also some lucky strike leathers etc....), i remberber that race, 1991, hockenhaim, Schwantz and Rainey, Last lap, going to the stadium, that braking manouvre was incredible, those things make legends.
But some weeks ago i took a look at a magazine a Legend on my eyes desapear.... those words for other fellow rider, which is 3 times world champ.... and Pedrosa has done NOTHING,
you Schwantz did nothing¡¡¡¡¡

It's all in how you would like to see it mate.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The number of titles a 500cc/MotoGP rider has doesn't necessarily mean he is the fastest rider in MotoGP. A good example of this was in the ...Golden era ... Of 500cc.If you took Pole positions and fastest lap In a race the order was
1.Gardner/Schwantz 2.Rainey/Lawson 3.Doohan . Yes there where exceptions and this is when the riders where heathy. But the point is if you look at who won the most titles the order is almost reversed. 1 Doohan 5 titles. 2 Lawson 4 titles 3.Rainey 3 titles 4.Schwantz/Gardner 1 title.

There are MANY more factors In winning a MotoGP/500cc title than just being able to Do a fast lap time. Consistancy , being able to conserve tires, riding past faults/weaknesses in the motorcycle ect ect.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Realistically Schwantz is SHOT. HE IS 49 (btw IM 48) His reflexes,timing and endurance are WAY below the level he once had . Is he a legend? YES ! Even being a shell of his former self he STILL ran competitive lap times with some of the best racers in the world at there prime.
Can you see a young Kevin Schwantz winning a MotoGP against the top riders of today?
Don't believe the hype that every generation of MotoGP riders are faster than the previous generation.
European riders have gotten faster. This is because of the new trend of Europeans racing Dirt track(not motocross) when young like the Americans did years ago.
In the last 36 years/seasons of 500cc/MotoGP , 31 or 32 of the titles where won by riders who raced dirt track.

BTW Kevin Schwantz was one of the few riders who have won a 500cc/MotoGP title in the past 36 years that DIDNT race dirt track.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The number of titles a 500cc/MotoGP rider has doesn't necessarily mean he is the fastest rider in MotoGP. A good example of this was in the ...Golden era ... Of 500cc.If you took Pole positions and fastest lap In a race the order was
1.Gardner/Schwantz 2.Rainey/Lawson 3.Doohan . Yes there where exceptions and this is when the riders where heathy. But the point is if you look at who won the most titles the order is almost reversed. 1 Doohan 5 titles. 2 Lawson 4 titles 3.Rainey 3 titles 4.Schwantz/Gardner 1 title.

There are MANY more factors In winning a MotoGP/500cc title than just being able to Do a fast lap time. Consistancy , being able to conserve tires, riding past faults/weaknesses in the motorcycle ect ect.
Realistically Schwantz is SHOT. HE IS 49 (btw IM 48) His reflexes,timing and endurance are WAY below the level he once had . Is he a legend? YES ! Even being a shell of his former self he STILL ran competitive lap times with some of the best racers in the world at there prime.
Can you see a young Kevin Schwantz winning a MotoGP against the top riders of today?
Don't believe the hype that every generation of MotoGP riders are faster than the previous generation.
European riders have gotten faster. This is because of the new trend of Europeans racing Dirt track(not motocross) when young like the Americans did years ago.
In the last 36 years/seasons of 500cc/MotoGP , 31 or 32 of the titles where won by riders who raced dirt track.

BTW Kevin Schwantz was one of the few riders who have won a 500cc/MotoGP title in the past 36 years that DIDNT race dirt track.
And we all have different ideas regarding who of those 5 was the best at the time....for me probably Lawson and Rainey just ahead of Schwantz.....Kevin was definitely the fastest outright but couldn't seem to out-think Wayne, Eddie and Wayne were very close to perfect racers. Kevin wanted to win every race, at the expense on the Championship. Gardner and Doohan, 2 of the toughest guys around and Mick was the top racer for half a decade, Wayne was a favourite of mine at the time too, first hand knowledge of how hard he rides.....and could a young Schwantz win today against the current crop of aliens, you betcha !!! .....Jake, another hypothetical question.... could Mike Hailwood (who could ride the wheels of anything) win today's championship on the 2013 Ducati? (or could Kenny Roberts Snr?)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts