MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to take my rear wheel off my brutale today . My torque wrench only goes upto 200nm and it says on the wheel 220-240nm . Will my wheel be ok at this lower rating?
Thanks
Colin

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
I think so......it's a pretty high torque value. Torque wrenches are most accurate in the mid point of their range, though. You should look into buying another wrench.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks . Nut is on bastard tight . Just broke my oberon wheel socket trying to crack the nut off . Strange as the wheel came off last year for the first time ever without too much trouble.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I agree with Ed..,and also bear in mind that the wheel nut will also have a retaining clip passing through and locating into corresponding holes in the spindle so (in my opinion)I think everything should be fine.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I was wondering on the quality of the Oberon wheel nut socket, guess that question is answered :)

That does seem an extreme torque spec for holding on a pinned wheel with reverse threads and locking clip. Though I suppose it is subject to a lot more lateral stresses than most nuts.

·
Vendor
5,630 Posts
If you are only going to 200nm keep an eye on the nut where the safety clip goes through the axle that the nut is not moving.Definately time to buy a higher value tension wrench.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. New torque wrench is coming out of next months pay packet .
Need to get a 55mm socket first to get the nut off .
Chocked the wheel last time and it was no probs . Borrowing my dad's front wheel clamp tomorrow and going to ratchet through the rear wheel . Big stu is coming round to lend some muscle .

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
?

folks;
use Never-Seize on the threads ONLY...

to remove I use an 1/2" air impact with an alloy socket, it literally takes 3 seconds

manually;
hook a tie down to the foot peg mounts and through the rear wheel, adjust the length to make a 90* angle
use a steel socket

torquing the wheel nut;
use a 10" extension and do it from the left side with a steel socket

the sockets are available on ebay ~$30 for alloy, ~$40-50 for steel

I use Motowheels ones

:drummer:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips and advice .
Ordered a new wheel socket from Al at design corse today . He reckons it sounds like it's seized on .

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I know there are you guys who have had lots of trouble with the wheel nut. I have never had any trouble at all. I keep the threads clean ( That means I clean the threads off carefully ) and dry and use anti-seize on the threads.

I torqued to 220 Nm

I use an aluminium tapered socket with a rattle gun to undo and a tapered steel socket to torque up.

Next time I'll undo with a 2ft extension. It's not so hard. I saw Carl take off Chucks wheel. I held the wheel on the rear brake. Easy peasy.

read Thread..." Proactive on the wheel nut" :)

joe

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe
I've just read the thread again . Really helpful .
I got the nut off last year for the first time ever(2011 bike) with a breaker bar and a big friend .
I guess I didn't put enough coppergrease on the nut threads, I was a bit paranoid about using too much as the nut looked dry when it came off from the factory .

How does torquing up the nut from the other side of the bike work?
I torqued it upto 220nm last time from the wheel side of the bike with 'big stu's' torque wrench .
Does it mean it's now something like 600nm tight?

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Joe
I've just read the thread again . Really helpful .
I got the nut off last year for the first time ever(2011 bike) with a breaker bar and a big friend .
I guess I didn't put enough coppergrease on the nut threads, I was a bit paranoid about using too much as the nut looked dry when it came off from the factory .

How does torquing up the nut from the other side of the bike work?
I torqued it upto 220nm last time from the wheel side of the bike with 'big stu's' torque wrench .
Does it mean it's now something like 600nm tight?
Allo : )

The advantage of torquing up from the left ( sprocket side ) of the bike is that you are using the torque wrench clockwise which may wise types say is the correct way to use a torque wrench. This is done by means of socket extensions.

I've never checked the torque just prior to undoing...It's bound to be a higher figure..Well that's how I see it :)

joe

·
Super Moderator
23,940 Posts
If you are using a toque wrench, and you should use a torque wrench, you should know if your wrench is qualified in the CW and/or CCW directions.

As far as removal torque, you will have "stiction" which causes a much higher torque, know as break-away-torque...and your nicely calibrated torque wrench should NEVER be used for this.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In aviation there are sometimes need to measure breakaway torque, we use dial torque wrenches for this.
All but one of my torque wrenches is good for rh or lh applications.
The "click" type and electronic indicating types use the same mechanism, and it matters not rh or lh.
I went to calibration school for our torque calibration machine and wrenches.
I checked my 40+ year old deflecting beam the other day, within 1% :). (bought it new!)
Use a quality torque wrench and have it checked regularly, do not use after dropping till calibrated.

Ed:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts