MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you install this clear paint protection on your bike? Are there different makes/qualities?
I'm tired of getting this little scraches (specially front fender ones) and was wondering about the results of using this. Maybe is just some clear sticker that you pay like gold because is cuted to size (I guess I can cut it myself).

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
if it s just a sticker and you get the dimensions right...you can go the easy path of going to any place with a plotter machine and they'll cut it for you...but i don t think it s just plain old stickers

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've used a similar product in the past on of all things, a DH Mt. bike. I also had a "kit" that was for an 06 WRX STi I had, never installed it, then I sold the car. A number of people on the STi web site swore by it.
The stuff is usually mnfg by 3M and is a few mills thick. Not supposed to turn yellow either. Also supposed to be a bit of a pain in the A$$ to put on but should do the trick, it worked for the Mt. bike I had.
I have been thinking about doing it also. I am anal with the Brute and scratched drive me nut. Black shows all. Let me know, if you pull the trigger, how it works out.

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought one few months ago. A b*tch to install, IMHO. Couldn't completely get the bubbles out during install and the bubbles didn't just dissipate like what the instruction said... Maybe I'm just clumsy, I don't know. In hindsight I should have taken the kit to have the window tint people install it.
Beware though the Brutale kit from InvisiGard has limited coverage----nothing is covering the area on the sides of the tank around the intake, where I had a stone chip. I have yet to put on the "tank side left/right" because I don't think that area needs the "protection". Only put on one "pillion side" because the raised Brutale lettering made the finished fit very ugly--it doesn't stick close enough to the lettering so I just gave up putting up the other side. I couldn't get a good fit on the headlight one so I had to cut a big slit to make it fit better--not professional-looking finish. As for the "tank pad" I would stick with the stock MV's thick vinyl anyday so I didn't install....
However, if you still want to get that kit, I'd suggest you look for it on ebay because the company always put one up there--you can get a better price there!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I agree, I saw this kit years ago, but don't think it offers any worthwhile protection for the brutale.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I bough the all set a few month ago. It's still in the box. I'll try to put it on the bike for spring time and keep you inform.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I better leave it...of course i want to protect butnot any price. It must look like nothing was on...otherways...f**ck it...

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
Try the helicopter tape...I have seen it used on a lot of race bikes and street bikes, and looks pretty good. Do it yourself, so you only place it where you want, and it comes off with no damage if you aren't happy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
helicopter tape :confused: Where can I get that Ed? Has anyone tried it?

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
FERROMAN said:
I better leave it...of course i want to protect butnot any price. It must look like nothing was on...otherways...f**ck it...
After all that talk about the darn thing I went to work on putting the two "tank side" InvisiGARD pieces on this morning, figuring since I already paid for the darn thing I should at least put them on (then take them off after I got sick of them). Still cannot get them to look perfect (no bubble or sqeegee marks). Maybe I just have webbed hands! :jsm:

One last thing I want to comment on the InvisiGARD is this: unless someone can do a super-professional job putting them on (ie., no marks on them whatsoever), plus no defects from the material itself (mine had tiny inbeded spots on some of the pieces but InvisiGARD never responded to my complaint), you'll always see blemishes when you're taking a close look at your bike. When you're standing a few feet from your bike, however, it does look like there's nothing on it. So since I already spent the money to purchase it and the time to put them on, I'm going to try to ignore those shortcomings, FOR NOW anyway.

Let me know how the other kind turns out, maybe I'll also give it a try.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Second Skin

R&G supply a similar product fitted correctly its a good damage reduction investment it was being demonstrated at the NEC motorcycle show and seemed a good product the salesman demonstrating it asked a couple of guys to try tearing/stretching a sample piece, he then proceeded to fix it onto a demo bike scoring the surface with a screwdriver, there was a slight impression on the skin though when he peeled it back the tank/paintwork was unmarked, now that would have saved me a £160 repair to my back seat unit when my sons pushbike fell against & gouged the paintwork, the kit was approx £90 for my F4 1000R, bear in mind the surface body work has to be spotless prior to fitment the instructions for fitting can be found on this link: http://www.rg-racing.com/Images/Products/ProductFields/pdf554_123.pdf
you can peel it off & refix as often as you like till you are satisfied with the end result, its a bit tedious to begin with but worth it in the end.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got Ventureshield on mine. You dont know it's there, great stuff.

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Philly said:
I've got Ventureshield on mine. You dont know it's there, great stuff.
1+++.. I've always installed Ventureshield to my bikes and my friends bikes, and IMO it's one of the best anti - scratch protection films on the market..

Only one problem.... DON'T TRY FITTING THIS STUFF ON BY YOURSELF !! unless your experienced in this field ( you need a dry, clean work area and a hot air gun ) .. You'll end up throwing money down the drain.. and this stuff isn't cheap.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i put invisiguard on my brutale, its time consuming and a real pain in the ass but it came out perfect!!! no one even noticed it, had to point it out.just plan on hours of time to do it and dont do it all at once, you need to take a break or it gets on your nerves. i also tried puting the invisiguard on my f4, got so frustrated with the front nose piece i ripped it back off and threw it away :cussing: , however i did use the side tank pieces and front fender piece and front fairing edges.
so its easier on the brutale with no nose piece.make sure you use lots of soap and water in a spray bottle and spray the outside while squeegee-ing[is that a word???] ,keep going over it with the rubber squeegee on outside once installed and certainly make sure your hands are clean, keep towel handy and spray your hands with the soap and water frequently as not to leave fingerprints.

·
Registered
233 Posts
how does this stuff do around curved surfaces? does it stretch and contract during application so that you don't end up with wrinkles?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tricky curved areas

The trickiest areas were around the nose cone (curved surfaces) but if you work from the centre to the edges easing out ripples & bubbles the film eventually moulds to the fairings shape, it wasn't easy I tried several times before I was happy using plenty of solution (soapy water) I also wore surgical gloves to prevent marking the faring & film with greasy fingers, if you're not patient & calm you'll struggle doing it yourself. anyway good luck if you go for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts