MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm Shaun, a long term Italian bike owner. I actually don't own an MV but my girlfriend has a 2002 F4 that we're rebuilding. It spent 6+ years in storage and needed a lot of work.
We're track-only riders so the rebuild has included track plastics and custom fairing stay, fork seals, coils, several sensors and a bunch of other electrical components that tested bad. We also replaced everything that touched gasoline, from the pump to the injectors.
We got the engine running but it was pretty rough. It wouldn't idle and didn't sound happy when it revved. I checked the power commander and found that the map had faded - it was all zeroes. I installed a new one specific for the exhaust/air filter combo so I'm hoping it will run smoothly this weekend.

We've had a hard time finding parts for this gorgeous machine, so if anyone can help us find an upper chain slider shoe (800087473) I'd be very grateful. I'd also like to rebuild the shock - can anyone advise where we can get Sachs seals?

·
Super Moderator
21,458 Posts
On the fueling issues, ditch the Power Commander and have member @merc07 develop an EPROM chip for your bike.

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
Welcome to the family !! Texas is a big place....where within Texas are you?

You will find that the F4 basic parts are interchangable for all the first generation models...a lot of Brutale chassis parts interchange as well. Look for the chain slider from any pre 2010 bike and it should fit.

As for your Sachs shock ....take it to a good suspension service center and they should be able to sort it for you. You could also reach out to the company itself. ZF Sachs:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sachs/home/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome guys.

esq'z me: We're in the Dallas area. Our home track is Eagles Canyon but its been going through a complete rebuild since September last year. We started the F4 rebuild in time to get it ready for when the track opens again.

I've called all the MV dealers in the country looking for that chain slider, none have any in stock. Apparently that same swingarm was used on several models up until 09 and the same part # was used for all of them. So now no one can get that slider. I'm in the process of making one myself in nylon.
We were told the front fairing bracket was also interchangeable for all F4 models... that sure wasnt true. We were able to modify it though so the result looks oem. Pulling that headlight unit out sure saved a lot of weight!

Regarding the shock rebuild, I'm a former KTM/Husqvarna tech. I went through the WP, Ohlins and Sachs factory training. I have all the tools still, but no longer have access to the parts catalog...

silentservice703: I sure would like to get rid of the PowerCommander. I've PMd @merc07. I'd love to get one of his ECU data loggers too.

I'll post pictures of the rebuild when I'm able to upload.

Shaun

·
Super Moderator
21,458 Posts
We were told the front fairing bracket was also interchangeable for all F4 models... that sure wasnt true. We were able to modify it though so the result looks oem. Pulling that headlight unit out sure saved a lot of weight!
For the F4 model, there have been a few major changes in design. Everything from 2000 to 2006 is the same except for engine displacement.

In 2007, the front end (suspension) and the ECU changed. The ECU went from a Magneti Marelli 1.6M to a Magneti Marelli 5SM.

All of the bodywork is interchangeable from 2000-2009.

2010 saw the birth of the Second Generation with a complete restyle and, I believe in 2013 the ECU changed again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rebuild Complete

So it’s finally finished!

My girlfriend took her bike for a ride this weekend after a year spent restoring this little beauty from a pretty poor state. It’s now in beautiful condition and ready to hit the track.

This has been a fun rebuild, despite the problems we’ve had getting parts for this thing. For example, after our local MV dealer said they couldn't get fork seals I ordered 4 different sets from various sources, one after the other. Each seller said they would fit the MV forks but none did. Then the dealer came back and said they could get them... OEM it is then!
Dawn installed the seals like an expert while I fitted new tyres.

We had to get new injectors to replace the seized stock items. We put them in along with a new lithium battery, new ground cable, new crank angle sensor and air temp sensor (the cables had been chewed by mice) and I replaced several of the connectors to the other sensors. Then came new spark plugs, leads, new coils and harness connectors. We also replaced all the hoses on the fuel pump, put in a new fuel filter, and I fixed multiple leaks in the fuel lines and rail.

After all this, the bike wouldn't run.

During my diagnosis I found that the Power Commander had lost its map so I downloaded a new one. The bike still wouldn't start, but it would cough if I sprayed starter fluid in the TBs...

After much head scratching I traced the problem back to the new injectors - they would fire once then acted like they were dead. But every time the ignition cycled they would fire one more time, then dead...

Time for a used set from eBay.

With the used ones installed the engine fired up immediately, but it wouldn't run smoothly and wouldn't idle. So after more diagnosis I was led back to the injectors - again. Sure enough, 2 were only firing intermittently. I had tested them when they arrived and they seemed fine but not fine enough! !)@(#*$&%^.

While all this was happening I found some old race fairings. My friend only had the front pieces, but luckily the bike came with a fiberglass tail that had never been fitted. I had everything painted in the original red/silver. Luckily the bike also came with a spare oem screen that went on easily. I also ordered a front fairing/gauge bracket from HSBK. It was from an 09 F4 but I was told it would still fit. Sure enough, it didn't. Luckily, we were able to modify it to get it to clear the clipons and the screen and the result looks totally stock.

For the third set of injectors I ordered a used throttle body assembly from a B4 750. A local breaker also had a complete wiring harness, TB rubbers/balancing hoses and rear brake master so I threw them in the cart.
While we were waiting for the injectors Dawn fitted new brake pads and flushed/bled the brake and clutch lines.

Finally we got a good set of injectors! The engine started right up and runs smooth with the new map in the power commander. I also got an ECU logger from Merc07 along with a lambda sensor/controller. Next is a chip read/write box so I can edit the fuel map and ditch the Power Commander. The throttle bodies were perfectly balanced and while the CO reading was a little high it was close enough.

Dawn changed the oil and filter while I went crazy with a toothbrush in every little nook and cranny I could reach. With that and multiple dousings in WD-40 the entire bike is looking about 1000% better.
After a few heat cycles we flushed out the seriously nasty coolant and found the return line from the radiator to the overflow bottle was blocked. After a thorough cleaning we were able to see hot coolant flow back into the catch tank, and the fans worked exactly as they should.

The upper chain slider had crumbled to dust so I tried to get another one from the dealer. No luck - its NLA. I contacted a dozen+ different dealerships and no one had any. I found a decent used one on eBay and the seller was generous enough to throw in a complete swingarm also!
When it arrived we found that there were a bunch of seized bolts that had to be drilled out and replaced. With those taken care of we fitted the new slider, a new chain and new sprockets. With that done it was time to start final assembly.

The fairings all went on like they were supposed to. I layered some fiberglass heat matting inside the lower fairing so hopefully the pretty paint will stay where its supposed to.

Time to ride!
Dawn is only 5'4" and this bike is a lot taller than her Ducati Monster, so we spent some time practicing coming to a stop. The kickstand is completely recessed into the bodywork which makes it impossible for shorter legs to get it down. I'm going to experiment with an extender on the foot of the kickstand and see if that helps.

We’ll do a shakedown test at the track next month. Here’s hoping we don’t find any more issues! By the time the 100F/40C degree temps cool down we’ll be ready for a couple track days per month.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Great write up and set of pics. Must have been a great feeling of accomplishment after all the parts and running glitches.

Also good to have a g/f who is handy with tools!:wink2:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice Job! My wife is not too hot with the spanners but ace at cleaning, shot blasting and general keeping things tidy for me, always good to work together. Bike looks great you will love it on the track.

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
Well done !! And looking good.

You should send all those extra non-functioning injectors to:

https://racecityinjector.com/

These guys can fix them for you and their prices are very reasonable.
Good used injectors are a valuable commodity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
appreciate the detailed story! welcome to the forum. how far north do you guys track? Barber is a must if you havnt already!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys, it was a fun process and even more fun to complete.

Esqz Me - thanks, I'll be sending in all those faulty injectors. I have 4 from a Ducati 996 that also need help.

NTG - our local track is Eagles Canyon. It just got repaved so we're all excited to try the new surface and new layout. We're also doing COTA in September, possibly Road America after that. Barber is definitely on my list of tracks to try asap. I hear nothing but fantastic things about that layout.

Once I get Merc07's logger installed I'll do a separate thread on learning the process of tuning the 16m ecu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's Dawn at Cresson yesterday. I did a session on the bike the week before just to make sure everything was okay and after fixing a few minor issues it was ready.
(Thats me behind her)

The day went so well we'll be going to Eagles Canyon next week, and hopefully another day at Cresson before it gets too cold.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,458 Posts
She fills out those leathers nicely! Great looking bikes, too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts