MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Myriam, I'm from France. Im currently riding a CB500F from 2018 but will sell it in the next week most likely as I am looking to get an MV Agusta and will probably make a post about it to have advices.
Im not very good at interacting and conversation, hope it's ok.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
Welcome to the family @HoMymy !!! don't worry about conversational skills.
F3 and F4 are very different animals. I hope you can ride each before having to make a decision. Both are outstanding bikes in their own ways.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the family @HoMymy !!! don't worry about conversational skills.
F3 and F4 are very different animals. I hope you can ride each before having to make a decision. Both are outstanding bikes in their own ways.
Hello. Very different ? For me the factors are most likely the distance and convenience of how far I have to go to buy it and the look/colours.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
Hello. Very different ? For me the factors are most likely the distance and convenience of how far I have to go to buy it and the look/colours.
The F3 is a 3 cylinder bike, lighter and a different kind if power delivery (higher in the rpm range) than the F4. The F4 is a true "super bike". The F3 is a "super sport" bike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The F3 is a 3 cylinder bike, lighter and a different kind if power delivery (higher in the rpm range) than the F4. The F4 is a true "super bike". The F3 is a "super sport" bike
Yes I know I always was curious and wanted to try 3 cylinder, but 4 too. A little tricky here in France is that every bikes before 2016 are restricted to 106hp, so the f4 im looking for most likely fall under this restriction and would be less "powerfull" than f3 (the full ones).

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
A little tricky here in France is that every bikes before 2016 are restricted to 106hp, so the f4 I'm looking for most likely fall under this restriction and would be less "powerful" than f3 (the full ones).
That is easy to fix !!! If it hasn't been already.

Reactions: MVBERT

·
Registered
591 Posts
On the F4 the difference between restricted and full power is more than noticeable.
As for legalese the F4 budget for fines exceeded by far the gas/oil/service/tire items.
Western Macronistan hasn't got no roads for an F4 as commuter bike.
Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive tire Vehicle

Unless you intend to ride an F3 on track days where the ECU, legal or not, is no issue
the restricted bike is plenty enough power on open roads.

A light feisty bike trumps any power anvil on the twisties.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the F4 the difference between restricted and full power is more than noticeable.
As for legalese the F4 budget for fines exceeded by far the gas/oil/service/tire items.
Western Macronistan hasn't got no roads for an F4 as commuter bike.
View attachment 495126

Unless you intend to ride an F3 on track days where the ECU, legal or not, is no issue
the restricted bike is plenty enough power on open roads.

A light feisty bike trumps any power anvil on the twisties.
Im not sure I understood everything sorry. But I dont plan (and cannot) to use the full capacities on either bikes anyway nor am i going to be on tracks. So for me it's really just enjoying the look and chill rides

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
But illegal
It is only a change of ECU...how will the authorities ever know?
And if they inspected the bike would they be knowledgeable enough to tell the ECU has been changed? The ECUs look exactly the same.

Call me a scoff-law, but I wouldn't worry that some government agency would come seeking me out for punishment if I installed the un-restricted ECU in my French MV F4. I would just do it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It is only a change of ECU...how will the authorities ever know?...
They won't.
Since there is no MOT or TÜV in Macronistan ... yet ...
most MVs run a full power ECU.

...I wouldn't worry that some government agency would come seeking me out for punishment if I installed the un-restricted ECU in my French MV F4. I would just do it.
You would.

Then

Almost all motorcycle insurance policies for the road here have some print that sayz:
motorcycle, engine or frame has been tampered with; NO COVERAGE.

Liability in case of mishap can reach sky high.

Insurance investigators like and enjoy digging hard and deep not to pay.
If a modded ECU survived; piece of cake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes its an issue with any sort of accident that would involve insurance. But again I dont think anybody need the 200hp on the road ? I'm sure I dont

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Bonjour Myriam

There are some differences between the F4 and F3 that may be quite relevant to you. It is a big leap from a CB500 to an F4.

If you are considering an F4 you should definitely ride one before making a decision. The F4 has a fairly tall seat height, certainly relative to most sports bikes (although not tall like an adventure bike) and is about 20+ kg heavier than the F3. The F4 has an aggressive riding position and a tight turning circle, it could be difficult to manoeuvre unless one is tall enough and confident enough. I suggest that unless you are about 176cm or more, then an F4 might be a bit tall.

The F3 is more petite, a lower stand over height and lighter weight, and for mine just as much fun, and slightly less likely to result in you losing your license.

Other MV alternatives that are not sports bikes as such, are the Brutales, there are 4 and 3 cylinder variations, they are more practical than the F series bikes. As aesthetics and chilling is a priority for you, a Dragster might be just the ticket?

I can also recommend, and am very fond of Triumphs, they have twins and triples. You almost can't go wrong with a Japanese bike.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Bon chance.

Reactions: EBBO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bonjour Myriam

There are some differences between the F4 and F3 that may be quite relevant to you. It is a big leap from a CB500 to an F4.

If you are considering an F4 you should definitely ride one before making a decision. The F4 has a fairly tall seat height, certainly relative to most sports bikes (although not tall like an adventure bike) and is about 20+ kg heavier than the F3. The F4 has an aggressive riding position and a tight turning circle, it could be difficult to manoeuvre unless one is tall enough and confident enough. I suggest that unless you are about 176cm or more, then an F4 might be a bit tall.

The F3 is more petite, a lower stand over height and lighter weight, and for mine just as much fun, and slightly less likely to result in you losing your license.

Other MV alternatives that are not sports bikes as such, are the Brutales, there are 4 and 3 cylinder variations, they are more practical than the F series bikes. As aesthetics and chilling is a priority for you, a Dragster might be just the ticket?

I can also recommend, and am very fond of Triumphs, they have twins and triples. You almost can't go wrong with a Japanese bike.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Bon chance.
Thank you, yes I considered the options and mostly know all this, but bike is really just a week end luxury for me and I only get to ride about 4-5 months of the year because of climat. I have been weighting every options for 2 years now but at the end Im still into the Massimo Tamburini Italian style that would make me happy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts