MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm a first time MV owner and new to the forum so I thought an introduction was in order. I picked up a Brutale 910S around a month ago, somewhat different to my last ride which was a BMW 1200GS Adventure. I'm closer to my 60th birthday than my 50th so I wanted something relatively light with a low seat height and fairly upright riding position. A Brutale advertised locally in Adelaide caught my eye and it was love at first sight. To be honest, if I had taken the time to read up on some of the potential issues flagged on this forum I may have gone for a Speed Triple but money changed hands and after a few rides I'm well and truly hooked.
So far the only 'must do' job is a countershaft seal replacement which seems to be relatively straightforward, please chime in someone if it isn't! I also plan on replacing the chain and sprockets at the same time, the bike has 16,000 kms on it and is still running the originals. I also thought that replacing the plastic fuel line quick release fittings for steel ones would be good insurance and having noted some clear sealastic around the headlight lens I'll be having a closer look at that too. My bike is still running on the original 'blue back' CPU and will hopefully continue to do so for a while longer. Having had final drive bearing failures on both my 1200 adventure and prior to that my 1150GS I'm also keen to upgrade the hub, I'll just need to stretch out my purchases so that the Minister for War and Finance doesn't get too cranky :the wife: Anyway, that's enough from me for now. Safe Riding everyone.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Welcome to the Madhouse that is MVA.net!

Nice write up and nice ride! Folks who have them love the 910S...more fun than a box of frogs!
It sounds like you have your expectations and maintenance in line so enjoy the ride.

Chuck

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Also, welcome. I hop you enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Headlight lenses had a habit of falling out at one point so maybe yours has a bit of insurance there to keep it in place.

Have fun.:)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate, don't let post's with issue's bother you, that's what forums are used for mostly. The 910 is a good platform, enjoy it and ask if you have any questions.
Make sure it's the counter shaft seal that's leaking, and yes it's pretty easy to replace especially if you're replacing chain and sprockets at the same time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome folks. I've added the details of my bike to the registry, pics to follow. Pretty sure the seal is shot, had the cover off twice now and degreased the area. Got a bit of a nip on the sump fasteners and re-checked side stand fasteners - loctite'd and re torqued at a previous service following the owner mentioning an oil leak. I'm happy to replace the seal when I do the chain and sprockets, just waiting on startwin confirming the part number - sometimes things get lost in the translation, ie the item description, and the parts catalogue seems to indicate 2 required alongside what I believe is the seal. Saying that, it also seems to suggest 2 gearshift seals are also fitted - to be sure, to be sure?? Its almost certainly a standard metric sized lip seal, if someone knows the dimensions I could get one from a local bearing and seal supplier.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
I'll add my welcome to the family as well.... :yo:

The 910 is a great bike. I've done about 40,000 km on mine and still on original chain and sprockets. The rear hub has never been a problem....but I do all my own maintenance and do it correctly. :smoking:

Enjoy the ride.! :brutale:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome mate. As long as the maintenance schedule is followed and work completed correctly MVs are just as reliable as their Japanese/Euro equivalents. They just have less tolerance for slack maintenance and dodgy work. Treat her right and she'll look after you. Have a blast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts