MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
My name is Chris Kallevag born and raised in Sweden, spent 11 years in Canada (NS) and now living in Israel. I've been riding since 1986 and I work with bikes; photography and I write articles. I have had a number of Japanese bikes in the past and a KTM smt couple of years ago.
After a visit to the Ducati factory in September I decided to get a Ducati. That was before I had a close look at the Brutale and specially the F3 675. I fell in love, never ever seen a bike like it. A piece of art.

Now to my concerns, I would like it to be a functional piece of art.
I've lurked here for a week prior registration and read the reliability problems and after have read Stephen's nightmare ownership of his F3 675 2013 I don't know if I should bother to test drive the Brutale 675 and the F3 675 next week. I wouldn't have any patience for a problematic bike. Specially here, I would pay something between $30,000-35,000 for a 2015 F3 675. One dealer, imported the first MV to Israel Nov. 2013, 2 hours away. He sounds like a good guy and even told me he sent 3 mechanics twice to Italy to learn

Do we have any people here with 2014 F3 675? Are the "glitches" fixed? or... How common are the problems with the 2013 model?

Thanks in advance, appreciate advice, suggestions, and please share your experience good or bad.
Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Chris,
I´ve been several times in Israel and I really like it to be there.
But I can´t imagine to ride a race-type bike there...
Especially in city traffic, the F3 gets very hot in European summer - and Israels temperatures are some 10° higher than here in Germany...

Just my2 cents...

P.S.: I have a May 2012 F3 and she runs like a clockwork, no stalling, no battery troubles, no gas position error, nothing... - just two leakage issues in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Most of the issues now have solutions. Not to say you wont suffer from the issue, but I don't think it wont be resolved. I bought one of the first F3s in 2012 and have absolute no regrets. With that said, for city riding the B3 might be a better bet.

I occasionally ride my brothers B3 675 EAS which we managed to find second hand for half the price I paid for my F3 675 (was a steal, EAS and 600km on the clock- new rider and had the QS lever and clutch lever so badly adjusted, Im not surprised he sold it for next to nothing). The b3 pulls away from the lights much easier than the F3 and doesn't rev as high as the F3 (much punchier motor). I wouldn't punish the F3 by riding in the city, you wont enjoy it. Needs sweeping open riding for the best grin factor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies guys. I basically live in the middle of nowhere, plenty of twisty roads outside the door. If I getting the F3 it will be very little city riding, if any.
Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
181 Posts
That´s right; there are a lot of twisty streets, which invite to motorcycling.
Southwest of Jerusalem to Bet Shemesh or from the Dead Sea to Arad through the Negev.
Where do you live in the middle of nowhere?
What about the cops? Are they as rigorous as in Germany, Austria or Italy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Toni, I live in a small (120 families) village 10 minutes outside Karmi'el, 700m (2000f) above sea level. Roughly 45 minutes from Haifa. Great roads here in Northern Israel and as you mentioned around Jerusalem and down to the Dead sea.
Most cars, scooters, bicycles, just kiddn', and motorcycles speed. The cops are very slack, don't even bother to stop you if you aren't more then 30km/h (19mph) above the speed limit.
I stopped riding with the Israeli Motorcycle club couple of years ago because in that group it was more a rule than an exception to ride twice the speed limit. Yes, many riders use the public roads as it was a race track. Crazy!

Mary, you're right.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Stephen's bike is an isolated event, unfortunately he got a bike coming off the assembly line on a friday around lunch and there was a fire drill and somebody forgot to do their part and that sucks... but there are hundreds of satisfied riders all across this board, and it represents a larger group of owners that probably don't post. If there were wide spread problems like Stephen's, there would be more threads like Stephen's.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
No problems with my 2012 F3 675. People on here tend to write about their bad experiences rather than good.

People will comment when something makes them very happy :) or very sad. :bawling:
There is little reason to report when things are just going along.
It's not just “people on here” that tend to write about their bad experiences. It’s a universal truth around the world.
Congratulations on your trouble free MV ownership. :yo:
I know there are others out there and truly wish I was amongst them.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Stephen's bike is an isolated event, unfortunately he got a bike coming off the assembly line on a friday around lunch and there was a fire drill and somebody forgot to do their part and that sucks... but there are hundreds of satisfied riders all across this board, and it represents a larger group of owners that probably don't post. If there were wide spread problems like Stephen's, there would be more threads like Stephen's.
Ian, if only mine WAS “an isolated event.” However, look at how many have posted about similar stalling, hunting idle, fuel tank and surging issues. Also note, these issues are not limited to the first run of F3 675’s.
There may well be some truth in your Friday lunch time special analogy. Still, that doesn’t excuse anyone from the fact that it took over two years before items like stalling on clutch in were addressed.
Its clear that much of MY problem stems not just from the issues but rather how I, as a customer, was being treated. Hopefully we’re on a path to correct not only my bikes issues but also to remedy the poor customer experience that I (and others) have had.

·
Banned
676 Posts
People will comment when something makes them very happy :) or very sad. :bawling:
There is little reason to report when things are just going along.
It's not just “people on here” that tend to write about their bad experiences. It’s a universal truth around the world.
Indeed. I worked computer tech support for eight years...

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Ian, if only mine WAS “an isolated event.” However, look at how many have posted about similar stalling, hunting idle, fuel tank and surging issues. Also note, these issues are not limited to the first run of F3 675’s.
There may well be some truth in your Friday lunch time special analogy. Still, that doesn’t excuse anyone from the fact that it took over two years before items like stalling on clutch in were addressed.
Its clear that much of MY problem stems not just from the issues but rather how I, as a customer, was being treated. Hopefully we’re on a path to correct not only my bikes issues but also to remedy the poor customer experience that I (and others) have had.
There is no excuse for poor customer service. Ever. Hopefully it was just a dealership thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I visited the Ducati factory in September the guide told us a computer software controlling the whole assembly/manufacturing process. The errors have decreased to a minimum.
If 'Roberto' drinks a bottle of red for lunch instead of water, comes back and equip 29 bikes with a throttle that afternoon and he does it the wrong way, he is history. Every step is tracked with a name of the person who did it. Than the engines are tested and a person signs off and declares the engine flawless. He is also in trouble if let an engine pass which isn't 100%.

A big change comparing with 20-40 years ago. Now Ducati is up there with the Japanese four, KTM and BMW when it comes to reliability. May be MV should pay Ducati a visit.
It's understandable if a first batch have some problems but if it continues is it worrisome. It's common sense to listen to the feedback from dealers and customers and trace the problem back and FIX it. It doesn't matter if it's 'Roberto' who is the problem or a faulty part.
I'll take the Brutale 675 and F3 675 for a spin next week and after that if I will decide if I should take the plunge and spend a big chunk of money on something that isn't "bullet proof".
Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
When I visited the Ducati factory in September the guide told us a computer software controlling the whole assembly/manufacturing process. The errors have decreased to a minimum.
If 'Roberto' drinks a bottle of red for lunch instead of water, comes back and equip 29 bikes with a throttle that afternoon and he does it the wrong way, he is history. Every step is tracked with a name of the person who did it. Than the engines are tested and a person signs off and declares the engine flawless. He is also in trouble if let an engine pass which isn't 100%.

A big change comparing with 20-40 years ago. Now Ducati is up there with the Japanese four, KTM and BMW when it comes to reliability. May be MV should pay Ducati a visit.
It's understandable if a first batch have some problems but if it continues is it worrisome. It's common sense to listen to the feedback from dealers and customers and trace the problem back and FIX it. It doesn't matter if it's 'Roberto' who is the problem or a faulty part.
I'll take the Brutale 675 and F3 675 for a spin next week and after that if I will decide if I should take the plunge and spend a big chunk of money on something that isn't "bullet proof".
Cheers,
Chris
For Your information every MV Agusta engine gets on a dyno test bench and will be reved to max rpm.
And this not only once, mostly three times.
You can get the dyno charts of Your bikes engine if You send Your engine number to the factory.

·
Registered
400 Posts
haupti do you you have any contact information to do so? I'd really be interested to see how much power I actually have

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just to add my 2 pence/cents. Done almost 4000 miles on my F3, no issues aside from the gear indicator recall. Recently took it to Belgium and did close on 400 in a day, no issues other than rider fatigue. Combined with the light throttle this can make for an interesting ride at low rpm home.

I'll be fitting the strengthened spring soon.

But all is good.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Titanium valves are brittle, not lasting up to 100000km. My first engine blast at 19000km (running at 6000rpm only!), the second one has now 15000km, will see.:conveyer:
Cheers

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
What year model cristogrr? Also what was your last digits on the engine number if you don't mind me asking (on your first engine).

Mine is 837 and I'm becoming paranoid about valve failures now (haven't received any email or contact from MV regarding a recall on the head)...

Engine has been perfect so far though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Now you have got me worried engine number 466 with 20000km. However no problems to date with numerous trackdays and a 5000km trip round europe with 850km done in a day. So far so good

1 - 20 of 22 Posts