MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody, last November did I switched from a 2 cylinder Honda VTR 1000 SP2 to the 4 cylinder MV Agusta F4 1000 R. I changed already a few things without really riding a lot, because of the weather and other stuff going on.

The forum gave me a lot of information and also the decision to buy an F4!

The first impression of the F4 is that it's quite smooth and fast compared to the 2 cylinders (obviously) but the sounds weren't very satisfying compared to the noise/volume of the VTR. In the beginning, I thought it was more of a vacuumcleaner, but as soon as I rev it in the higher rpm it comes to life, but not as much as I wanted. It's pretty stock how the previous owner held the bike.
Through some digging over here on the forum I found some threads to change and adjust the sound, to make it a bit more "lifely"
  • I changed the mid pipe for a titanium one from Bodis
  • Bought a second-hand stock exhaust with black tips and adjusted it according to the "Gazman mod".
  • The stock air filter did I changed for a DNA air filter to let it breathe a bit more, the sound of "sucking" air is addictive and better than the stock.
  • Thanks to ecosmeri here on the forum I adjusted the ECU and uploaded successfully the MV Corse Race ECU. I also tried to lower the temperature to let the fan kick in with 10 degrees, I only haven't tested it yet because it's too cold here and if I drive the temperature is fine. If it is not working will I try something else, at least I have my stock ECU settings as well in case I want to go back.
Besides that I did some cosmetic mods, I bought a smoke windscreen from MRA and I bought some Carbon goodies (keylock, exhaust protection, chain protectors, hugger, front spoiler, front tank covers, and the license plate holder). There are some other carbon parts that I want, but I don't want to have it look like an overkill, but the oil tip, front fender license plate light, and undertray are still on my list. I removed 2 stickers from the front fender to protect it from stone damage because I didn't like the look of it as well as the tank protector that was turned into yellow. I kept all the stock parts in case someone wants to have it back in stock or if I might sell it, it could be an option to place it back on it.

New battery and tired, and fluids are changed to attach the new season.

If overheating is still a problem will I change the water pump with the tubing for Jetprime and the silicone tubes. But first I need to drive a bit and get used to the bike and if it overheats can I still do that. Same as the manual switch can I also add later. Now I'm watching to add a gear indicator, there is some good information for that as well over here.

This is how she looked at the shop, I'll place later on a picture of the current status:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Old Wing Nut
23,290 Posts
Welcome to the family !! ... Do post some current photos for us.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
WELCOME!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hello and welcome from Australia, or as parts of it once were, New Holland. That looks like a Dutch flag?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome and I'm from the Netherlands. And I try to drive or start the F4 because after the midpipe and the ECU adjust I haven't heard it yet. Not that it won't start but I'm just curious to the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Nice!
Welcome from Philadelphia.
Just curious: New front end? Original rear shock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi EBBO, thanks for the greetings from Philly and those are to my knowledge just the original front end and rear shock. The seat is changed for Alcantara and also the headlight has an xenon light in it and the rear has the blinkers in the backlight.

What do you think it wasn't original, I'm curious.
I still would like to have a front fender in carbon and the oil tip as well, but first I contacted Joe for those radiation brackets, I got the tip from Maximum Velocity.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Yes, according to spec. I thought it had an axial setup. Since you are updating the bike you might want to consider the suspension.

Reactions: Edding_360

·
Old Wing Nut
23,290 Posts
Yes, according to spec. I thought it had an axial setup. Since you are updating the bike you might want to consider the suspension.
Don't forget...this is a 2008 in the USA....

Reactions: Edding_360 and EBBO

·
Vendor
5,749 Posts
Welcome to the forum.Bike looks well looked after.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Welcome, lovely bike, im sure she’ll give you many smiles per mile 👍 the F4 does love high revs, mine does 139mph at the redline in 3rd gear, indicated, not gps tested. But it is the most fun bike to ride once you get used to them and understand them, sounds like you have researched and chosen wisely, hope you have a fantastic time together 😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, and I'll consider the rear suspension. First I contacted Joe for the Radiator brackets, and then I probably gonna go for the silicone hoses and water pump but As 312R Dan is saying first to make some miles (km's for me) to understand the bike and get along together. In second gear is the noise in the high revs is very nice, in the third, I'm already on illegal speed limits haha, haven't checked the speedo where the red line was, but it felt great.

The exhaust was coming from an MV Agusta F4 750 according to the owner but I also saw some 1000S versions have these black tips as well, only not the R version. To get them off was a pain in the rear, and I almost thought that I destroyed them, but I made them back in proportion with a hammer and the clips with the rivets cover the bruised spots to take them off. I personally like it better with the black tips instead of the titanium look tips (just personal preference).

It's true, the bike is in tremendous condition and I tried to keep it like that, plus I add some modifications. For example, the previous owner did not save his money on maintenance and did everything at the dealer and with replacement of original parts, he even let the fan replace twice and once the radiator, but never did a mod on the water pump, hoses, or an extra fan. He really liked the stock look of it probably (except for that Alcantara seats). Anyway now it's my bike so I can upgrade it how I want to.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I also prefer the 1st gen red/silver scheme with bronze tips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts