MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend any international motorcycle shippers with reasonable rates? Since I am going to be in Italy for an additional year than I previously thought I am really missing my Brute and I want to ship it here from Atlanta. The best rate quoted so far is $1500 from Motorcycle Express (but they would ship it to Munich not Naples - which would be a fun ride! I was in Bavaria last week, great twisty roads with tons of bikes, mostly BMW of course!).

Thanks!
:brutale:

·
Administrator
20,103 Posts
Why not buy a new one there...ride it for the year then ship it home...

Dave (Castle) has shipped a bike down under from US (I think)....maybe a thread on that somewhere I remember...

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Why not buy a new one there...ride it for the year then ship it home...

Dave (Castle) has shipped a bike down under from US (I think)....maybe a thread on that somewhere I remember...
Good idea......I'll help you out as well. I'll give three grand for your old Brutie, sight unseen, and you go buy a new one.....:stickpoke in Italy. I've heard they are faster than US versions anyway.....:green: :jerkoff:

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Ed is right, I have shipped 4 bikes from the US to New Zealand in the last 6 years. I use a company called Express Logistics, I work for an exporter and Express ship our product overseas. I'm surprised at the quote of $1500 (US dollars?). Sounds very high.
The whole process needs to be broken down into steps. I'd be asking questions like:
Can a buddy in the States set the bike up for shipping (drain the fuel tank, disconnect the battery and crate the bike?).
Where is the nearest port located and what will it cost to get the bike there?
Do I need to have a title valiation check before the bike leaves the US?
Insurance?
Is my US spec bike able to be ridden on Italian roads (emission standards / lighting standards)
How do I register my bike for use on Italian roads?

I have no idea how many emails I average each time I import a bike but it would be around 70 - 100. If this has not put you off then go for it.
It may be more practical to just buy on in Italy..........
Good luck.

·
Registered
674 Posts
+1 On everything The_Castle said.

I shipped my F4 from Ireland to Oz and it was an absoloute nightmare unfortunately. There are too many steps in the process, too much red tape and too many different handlers. The more steps in the process, the more things that can go wrong. Maybe US to Italy wouldn't be so bad, but at best it would probably be uneconomical. If you buy in Italy, then sell in a year's time, you will probably still come out in front financially, and save yourself a lot of hassle. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have taken off the bling, shipped it over separately, then sold my F4 and bought another over there. :banghead:

Best of luck with it whatever you decide. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts