MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed an LED tail light on my 06 F4S with integrated turn signals. The left turn signal flashes very slowly, and the right won't flash at all. The brake light goes out to light the turn signal, so it's getting voltage, but it won't flash. Is this common for LED signals without installing resistors in-line? When I've done this on other bikes, not having resistors made the signals flash faster, not slower/at all.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The brake light goes out to light the turn signal, so it's getting voltage, but it won't flash
That sounds like the indicator is finding earth though the brake light, something isn't right with the way it's wired up if you're saying what I think you're saying.

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
...and yes, you need resistors...

10 watt heat sink resistors to make up for the incandescent load you removed.

The flasher unit sees a blown bulb due to the much lower load of LEDs.

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
The lack of resistor is probably not your problem.
Nice diagnosis...then, if resistance is not the issue, what is?

The described flasher unit that you and Noel espouse electronically corrects for load...i.e. resistance.:blah:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hey mate,

Edit: I realise what I did wrong now. I didn't write that clearly. My fault. I did not mean to suggest that resistors and LED flasher relays perform a different function. Just that if you are going to the trouble of fitting resistors, a simpler and faster correction is to just fit the LED flasher relay.

BUT, In this case I don't think that is the issue.
Happy to be proven wrong, but in my experience when fitting LED lights they blink at a faster rate, not have one not work at all and the other very slowly. If they do cause that I would love one of the sparkys on here to explain it to me :)

Once again, sorry about my half arsed initial effort.

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
I would also suspect the installation technique...bad ground, poor wiring.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
if you replace the relay how will it affect the front signals which are not LED. Also, where do you find a LED relay

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem ended up being the damn pressure contacts in the mirror stalks. I must have messed with them before I put on the integrated turns and not remembered. Thanks guys!

As for the LED relay, it's just an electronic one, rather than a normal thermal type relay. You can buy them anywhere that sells stuff like that (I know, real helpful...Lol... eBay or radio shack here in the US probably has stuff like that), just make sure the specs and number of prongs match. I looked into a few before I remembered to check the pressure contacts.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Where did you buy the tail light? I just installed one which was purchased from Design Corse and it works flawlessly with no new relay or resistor

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2013 1090RR which has LED indicators all round, with the fronts in the mirrors. I replaced the mirrors with bar ends when one of my mirrors broke and then mounted LED indicators to my front headlight.

Anyway, my problem is that all of the LED indicators flash too fast and I was thinking I would try to replace the flasher - the only thing is I can't find it. can someone tell me where it is located and how to identify it? I have looked under the seats and nothing looks like a flasher relay to me and I have tried lots of searches and found lots saying to fix the issue with resistors or flashers but none of them mention the location...

I tried the R & G resistors previously, just fitting them to the front pair and they slowed the flashing down however when I used the Hazard switch, none of the indicators worked at all. Then the indicators would not work until the key was turned off and on. At the moment when using the hazard switch all the LEDs flash at the normal (slower) rate, so I am thinking it might be easier to just replace the flasher with an LED one - assuming it doesn't have one already.

I am sure it will turn out to be obvious....

Thanks
Stephen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts