MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find one insurance company to cover my house, cars and bikes. So when it comes to bike coverage - what are the pros and cons of having liability plus collision plus comprehensive (other than the obvious). I am pondering such questions as: how much liability coverage do I need, do I even need collision (how much damage can a bike do), do I carry the comprehensive just to secure against theft...etc.

let me know if anybody has any thoughts on this.

Registered
My home and auto insurer doesn't like bikes or antique cars so I have them with other carriers. As far as coverage, I tend to over insure (full coverage, high coverage limits, but with high deductibles).

Administrator
The Collision is for YOUR bike...not what you hit. That's liability.
I tend to get as high a liability as my wallet allows (ever priced a minor body repair on a Mercedes or similar??).
I get Uninsured Motorist, Comprehensive (fire, theft) and Collision at an appropriate amount for the bike with as high a deductible as my wallet can handle.
Bundling your home, car and motorcycle etc insurance should get you discounts, but some insurance company rates are so high on a bike that you may not get much real benefit.
I have Progressive for my beater pick-up (very cheap), American Family for my home (good rate and coverage) and Dairyland for my bikes (great service and low rates).

Shop around. Be sure to compare apples and apples.

Registered
My Insurer is State Farm, they have all my insurance. No discount for bundling bikes.
Car(5), Home, Life, Motorcycles(3), antique cars(2).
Reasonable rates and nothing but great support and service from my agent.
I always go beyond state required minimums (my late Dad was an adjuster for 40 years and I learned a few things about insurance, and my EX wife was an agent also)
Comp is usually cheap and covers fire and theft and glass w/no deductable, I have full coverage on 2 bikes and 1 car as they are the most valuable.
3 bikes cost me about $700 a yr. Cars about $1400 including the antique w/declared value.
Location, age and driving record can be a big variable. Shop around, don't skimp on liability, it could be costly later.

Ed:)

Registered
one sentence, forget progressive for you bikes...

Registered
I have progressive on 3 bikes atm. They also cover my other vehicles and house. The new f3 800 is 58/month for full coverage with 250 deductible. Age 32

Registered
About the same price, maybe a little more as you on a '14 F4RR in L.A. of all places with some other insurance, not too many years apart from you. Go figure, Forget progressive. Every insurance company has their own research and calculations on the bikes, so the prices will vary. Unless you are in an urban area, you should be able to get better than that for your F3. Then again, if $50 or so per month is pocket change for you then no big deal I imagine.

Registered
I have state farm for my cars and bikes. Rates were comparable but they had the best consumer ratings of all of the insurance companies. No matter who you looked at they were always in the top 3 in responsiveness to requests and paying claims, seeing how that is the only two things I want my insurance to do I paid for those.

I didnt put the house on them though, they were just too high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts