MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest for an F4, I recently discovered an new insurance term; unbindable. In short, this means the insurance company will not insure a particular model. A quick search revealed that all F4s, S1000RR, Ducati Superbikes, RSV4 and more, fall into this category. This doesn't apply to all insurance companies, but some of the bigger guys will not insure these. And even the companies that do insure these "race" models, will not insure the CC or specific models.

I went through an insurance broker (a dealer recommended) and he provided quotes from Progressive, Dairy, Geico and Farmers. He said the best price he could get was $2229.00/year. Keep in mind the quote was for Texas, with a perfect driving record, and well beyond my 20s. I decided to call around myself and received the following quotes:
Progressive $2229
Dairy: $1467
Geico: $1696
Farmers: Would not provide a price unless I gave them my Social Security number; I declined. Based on the quotes, it appears the insurance broker didn't do his job.

The quotes include uninsured motorists. These numbers are an ass-pain. Especially when I pay less than $600/year for a Brutale. Also, with the exception of Farmers, all other companies can change their rates every year whether you've had an incident or not. I find it interesting that they tell you, in the same breath, that the rate could also drop - yah right.

If there's a reliable and/or recognizable insurance company you can recommend, please send it this way. I guess I shouldn't complain. I can remember when insurance companies refused to cover any bike with the name "Ninja".

·
Registered
249 Posts
State Farm. $449 year for my brutie. Which is about $2k less than all the other quotes I got.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
$ 636.00 a year with Allstate for F4-1000 My rate actually decreasing every year , used to be a $ 96.00 a month now its like a $ 53.00 a month. (Thats a full coverage with uninsured motorist and 500.00 deductible. ) ( Florida)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And More

Allstate: $2196

The prices quoted reflect if I only insured this single bike with them. If I insured my car and other bikes with them the rate would drop to $1400/year. You get an additional 10% discount if you've taken a motorcycle safety course in the past 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
22,618 Posts
Try MET. Ihave all of my vehicle insured through them including 3 Ducatis and my 312R. (1-800-GET MET1)

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Allstate: $2196

The prices quoted reflect if I only insured this single bike with them. If I insured my car and other bikes with them the rate would drop to $1400/year. You get an additional 10% discount if you've taken a motorcycle safety course in the past 3 years.
I would spend a little time finding out why your rate is so high compared to others. The only constant in the equation is you. Is there something in your background or on your driving record you are not aware of? Have you had claims in the past?

Call the DMV and get a copy of your record. Maybe something got added by mistake.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Texas

My rates were considerably lower when I lived in California. It's Texas we're in now. No DMV issues - ever. I spoke to MET LIFE and they said the main factors which influence the rates are:

1) Age
2) Rent or Own Home
3) Driving Record
4) Location
5) Motorcycle Model

The agent told me the main reasons for the high price were the MV and location. She added that motorcycles policies in Florida were considerably lower than most states, but autos were higher. Whereas in TX, auto policies were cheaper and motorcycles higher.

Here are the frequent questions:

1) Married/Single
2) Dependents at home under age of 18
3) Motorcycle Safety Course
4) Alarm
5) Motorcycle Club
6) Years of riding experience
7) Years of ownership
8) Driving Record
9) Rent or Own (Home)
10) Use for Recreation or Commute
11) Age
12) Claims
13) City/State

MET LIFE does their motorcycles through Progressive. The quote was $1561.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bmw?

I decided to check the S1000RR, through BMW MOA.

$1604.

Price drops to $1007 if you decline the Uninsured and increase deductible to $1000. Also, they guarantee a 25% discount every year if no incidents/tickets are reported.

·
Registered
183 Posts
wow, ur rates are unreasonably high. I have a zx6e, F41KR, and a drz400SM. insurance w/ progressive is 940 a year for all 3.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hulk Angry

OK, now I'm upset. So, I'm going to react in an unreasonable manner. Here goes. Hmmm Washington. Maybe it's your proximity to Canada. We all know Canadians have a propensity to cross the border to steal our motorcycles and jobs. Oh wait, and your state has how many sunny/dry days a year compared to the Texas.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Statefarm: $400/year full coverage (also have renters insurance, a car and my wifes bike (ducati monster M750) insured with them.)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
OK, now I'm upset. So, I'm going to react in an unreasonable manner. Here goes. Hmmm Washington. Maybe it's your proximity to Canada. We all know Canadians have a propensity to cross the border to steal our motorcycles and jobs. Oh wait, and your state has how many sunny/dry days a year compared to the Texas.

Ok,so how old are You ???:f4:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
StateFarm uses displacement only, so a liter bike would cost less than your Brute.
Cuts both ways though, they charged me nearly the same for my dirt beemer(650cc) as the Brutale (750cc)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Problem Solved

I called State Farm in Washington and Pennsylvania and went through the gambit (utilized friends' addresses). I was quoted $435 for WA and $459 for PA for an F4 (2006-2009). Furthermore, I spoke to an employee of a San Antonio shop and he said the rates on his Triumph Triple, almost tripled (no pun) when he moved from Georgia to TX. So, it appears everything is bigger in TX.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts