1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
583 Posts
Here in B.C. ("Bring Cash"), our rates are bad, but not quite there yet. We have a portion that has to be bought through the gov, but can go to the private companies for a lot of coverage too.

Rates here are also displacement based, but without regard for bike genre and very little difference in year to year bike age. So my brand spanking new '2013 F3 675 costs about $700/yr for the gov part - exactly the same as my '09 Street Triple w 45000 kms on the clock.

The extra coverage I'd need to look up, but I think it's about 500 for the MV and 300 for the trumpet.

I do have a friend that "has people that write the cheques" (at least that's how he describes his job) at the gov insurance company. The 'official' reason for the rate setting here is that ICBC (gov insurance) pays all healthcare costs for vehicle claims. Larger capacity bikes are more likely to have a passenger, and therefore potential higher health care claims.

The hole in the theory is a mono-posto sportbike, but that must be lost on the bureaucrats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts