Registered
17,189 Posts
Great Noel.....thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike:
when I was a little kid my Father taught me about horses.......he rode a horse to school every day

"when you walk behind a horse.....stay close, put your hand on them and talk to them......that will keep you from startling them......might not keep you from getting kicked, but you won't get kicked in the head"

on occasion, I sit on moving horses.....i'm not a rider, only one in the family that isn't:)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Mike:
when I was a little kid my Father taught me about horses.......he rode a horse to school every day

"when you walk behind a horse.....stay close, put your hand on them and talk to them......that will keep you from startling them......might not keep you from getting kicked, but you won't get kicked in the head"

on occasion, I sit on moving horses.....i'm not a rider, only one in the family that isn't:)
My mom grew up on a farm so I've heard these type of stories also. I guess she had some pretty close calls of almost getting kicked in the head by a horse....or a cow.

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kicked?

Mike;
my Grandfather's brother, William, had a hoof print in the side of his skull and was paralyzed on one side, he got kicked when young

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
asshole horses

Yikes! That's awful.
some animals have mean streaks......just like people

on the ranch my Father worked on as a kid there was a horse that would pin you in its stall and bite you.......

they fixed it.....it didn't want to bite anybody anymore......it went to the other side of the stall and stayed there

one of my maternal Great-Grandfathers was a farmer in Kansas.....bought a very nice horse......it had a bad habit, if you weren't paying attention and didn't have a good grip on the saddle horn, it would bolt......one of my relatives was lucky....he was only dragged ~100' before his foot came out of the stirrup......the previous owner neglected to mention that the horse had dragged 2 people to death.....

Great-Grandfather lost a lot of money that day......but it never hurt anybody again

oh, I've had my episodes with horses too......the 2 worst on the same day

the mare that was going to kick my girlfriend cleaning the stall.....all I had was a 4 tine hay fork, no, Mike I didn't stab the POS with the hay fork, I startled it by slamming the stall door and it saw me coming......but I was sure going to stab it if it kicked

and the mare's POS 2 year old unbroken colt that was startled by a bicycle 100 yards away......he made it to the wash rack.....my legs around his neck, my left arm around his nose and almost ripped his fucking ear off in the process
yup, he learned about being a POS and being in a wash rack too:naughty:

I was afraid he was going to start thrashing around and break something.....I got his chin on the ground.....and he went "you win" ears came up and he relaxed

left him tied for half an hour...... then went and talked to him, gave him treats, scratched his nose, rubbed the top of his head....... he'll remember that episode

before anybody gets their panties in a wad, 4 of the top ferriers in SoCal are close friends......you should hear them:naughty:

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
some animals have mean streaks......just like people

on the ranch my Father worked on as a kid there was a horse that would pin you in its stall and bite you.......

they fixed it.....it didn't want to bite anybody anymore......it went to the other side of the stall and stayed there

one of my maternal Great-Grandfathers was a farmer in Kansas.....bought a very nice horse......it had a bad habit, if you weren't paying attention and didn't have a good grip on the saddle horn, it would bolt......one of my relatives was lucky....he was only dragged ~100' before his foot came out of the stirrup......the previous owner neglected to mention that the horse had dragged 2 people to death.....

Great-Grandfather lost a lot of money that day......but it never hurt anybody again

oh, I've had my episodes with horses too......the 2 worst on the same day

the mare that was going to kick my girlfriend cleaning the stall.....all I had was a 4 tine hay fork, no, Mike I didn't stab the POS with the hay fork, I startled it by slamming the stall door and it saw me coming......but I was sure going to stab it if it kicked

and the mare's POS 2 year old unbroken colt that was startled by a bicycle 100 yards away......he made it to the wash rack.....my legs around his neck, my left arm around his nose and almost ripped his fucking ear off in the process
yup, he learned about being a POS and being in a wash rack too:naughty:

I was afraid he was going to start thrashing around and break something.....I got his chin on the ground.....and he went "you win" ears came up and he relaxed

left him tied for half an hour...... then went and talked to him, gave him treats, scratched his nose, rubbed the top of his head....... he'll remember that episode

before anybody gets their panties in a wad, 4 of the top ferriers in SoCal are close friends......you should hear them:naughty:
Not so surprised to hear this Noel. Beautiful creatures.....but sometimes stubborn and surly (so I hear....I haven't really been around horses too much but I have relatives that have).

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
real horses

Not so surprised to hear this Noel. Beautiful creatures.....but sometimes stubborn and surly (so I hear....I haven't really been around horses too much but I have relatives that have).
Mike;
my Father rode a horse to school everyday, there were stalls at school for the horses
my Mother rode on an equestrian drill team
my little sister and her husband leased jumpers

me ? I just sit on them

1959 we're coming back from Scammon's Lagoon in Baja, we broke a left front spring in the mountains between San Filipe and Ensenanda, so we went to the blacksmith and he's making us a new spring.....

lots of cars speeding by honking......we went outside....there's a spectacular Arabian mare in the street so frightened she couldn't stay standing up....

Dad caught her and covered her eyes with his shirt and cradled her head, when she calmed down a bit we walked her back to the blacksmiths shop...

an hour later a guy walks in looking for "El Norte Americano"...

in perfect English "thank you Senor for saving my horse, may I give you something as a token....."
"No, thank you"
"I can give nothing in gratitude?"
"Yes, let me ride her!"
the guy said OK

ever see an Arabian act like a cutting pony for fun?

my Dad comes back he's crying with a big smile....

"Senor, thank you, I just rode what I have wanted my whole life.....a real horse"

"Senor, you are a horseman!"

I literally thought the man was going to give my Father the horse......trust me, as much as he would have loved to have had her, he wouldn't have accepted her.....she wasn't 'his' horse

I've posted this before....... Merlin, the Equine Wizard....ever see a horse run sideways?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8BiTtoLp8

watch him head fake the bull......no football player is a match or even close

1 - 14 of 14 Posts