MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't it usually the case that no sooner have you fitted the 'latest' upgrade ..someone releases something even better?. This was the case for me when some time ago I fitted MV's water pump upgrade including 'new' impeller...and then Design Corse released their 'high output water pump'. I have to say that although MV's water pump upgrade was an improvement, I wished I'd held off and got the Design Corse one. I finally got one (below my Christmas Tree) and want to share my installation of it.
Firstly The Design Corse one is a 'complete' pump and not just a replacement outer pump casing and impeller that you have to use with the rest of your OEM pump. I've shown the installation in sequence along with comparison shots of the standard OEM , MV upgrade and Design corse one. I also refilled my bike with 'Engine Ice' 'coolant' (although I realise it's not coolant.
Three little things I discovered during installation is :
(1) The 'rear' of one of the 'lugs' fouls slightly against the lower engine casing preventing the 'pump' from going fully home....easily rectified by filing a small chamfer on the rear of the offending lug (see photos)
(2) As the mounting 'lugs' are approx 4mm longer than the mounting lugs on the MV pump I fitted the pump using replacement M6 screws (see photos)
(3) As this pump has a very high circulation output you will need to replace the OEM hose clips....after installation and starting the bike a few times I noticed it had 'pushed' the hose going to the pump up considerably (see photos).
So does it work??. Well just judging from starting the bike in the garage...it gets to the fan 'kick in' a bit slower than the MV upgrade and when the fans come on just goes up another 3 degrees then comes down quite quickly (55 seconds) to fans off. Obviously I need to ride the bike to give a full assessment but that will have to wait for a while, however initial impressions are very positive. Hope the photos make sense, Cheers for now Brian:).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Keep us informed on how it works. I upgraded my impeller last year with the MV one. If this all works out I wish I would of waited.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
hose clamps?

Brian;
the stock hose clamps will be fine.......the pressure in the system is controlled by the header tank cap 1st Gen, the radiator cap on 2nd Gen
:)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brian;
the stock hose clamps will be fine.......the pressure in the system is controlled by the header tank cap 1st Gen, the radiator cap on 2nd Gen
:)
Cheers for that Noel...I'll leave the others stock...however I'm gonna replace the one going to the main body of the pump as I didn't like the way pipe got 'pushed' up (seen in 4th & 5th photos from the end). I had a good look while the bike was running and everything seemed fine...however when I had a look a little later (after I'd stopped the bike) I noticed the pipe had moved. Maybe the OEM clamp isn't as tight on this hose as it should be?. I didn't measure it but I now wonder if the hose mounting ' spout' diameter on this new pump is the same as the MV one?. Anyway I'll replace this clip with a stainless 'Jubilee clip' just to be sure.
Seems like a great pump though Noel, initial impressions are good...need the weather though to fully test it in 'traffic'. Cheers Brian:)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Nice post Brian

As usual you are the man in details, crikey those pumps look good don't they. I have fitted a few of these pumps for other guys over the last couple of weeks (not been brave enough to buy my own)and never noticed the problem on the casing, both guys have had the pumps for a while though. I will ring the guys to have a look for me on their bikes and bring them back if it touches, I spent more time fighting the new silicon water hoses which they wanted me to install too, what a fight that was indeed.
Thanks for that, we better let Al know, I'm sure he'd appreciate the feedback too.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Cheers for that Noel...I'll leave the others stock...however I'm gonna replace the one going to the main body of the pump as I didn't like the way pipe got 'pushed' up (seen in 4th & 5th photos from the end). I had a good look while the bike was running and everything seemed fine...however when I had a look a little later (after I'd stopped the bike) I noticed the pipe had moved. Maybe the OEM clamp isn't as tight on this hose as it should be?. I didn't measure it but I now wonder if the hose mounting ' spout' diameter on this new pump is the same as the MV one?. Anyway I'll replace this clip with a stainless 'Jubilee clip' just to be sure.
Seems like a great pump though Noel, initial impressions are good...need the weather though to fully test it in 'traffic'. Cheers Brian:)
Great Detail as always brian, Excellant:)

Thanks for bring it to my attention regarding the lug touching the casing. I have now taken care of this issue and all our Pumps will have the edge rounded off so it clears the casing perfectly.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As usual you are the man in details, crikey those pumps look good don't they. I have fitted a few of these pumps for other guys over the last couple of weeks (not been brave enough to buy my own)and never noticed the problem on the casing, both guys have had the pumps for a while though. I will ring the guys to have a look for me on their bikes and bring them back if it touches, I spent more time fighting the new silicon water hoses which they wanted me to install too, what a fight that was indeed.
Thanks for that, we better let Al know, I'm sure he'd appreciate the feedback too.
Thanks for your supportive remarks as always..yeah those pumps look great and appear to do the job as well. The area where where one of the lugs touches the lower engine casing is really no big deal. I just noticed it as I was doing up the bolts to secure it in place and it was 'rocking' slightly where it was touching preventing the bolts from 'snugging' it fully home. Easily remedied as shown....and I see AL has everything sorted now regarding this so it's not now an issue. Donsy be brave..get yourself one and give it a real test....Oh and I'm with you Jen is a babe! Cheers Mate Brian:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
the outside diameter from the F5 waterpump i thing because can not more remember 2 mm smaller than the F4 waterpump!
i fit a tube between waterpump and engin case :yo:
with the febur radiator without fan is very well running:freezing:

·
Registered
643 Posts
So MV made a F5 bike also? How many cc's was it? I thought the F4 was the top of the line? I think I got screwed. :cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got the MV upgrade, didn't know about the Corse one until now, which sucks... My question to you Brian is how did you get the stock impeller off the water pump? I don't want to damage the shaft that goes into the housing.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I just got the MV upgrade, didn't know about the Corse one until now, which sucks... My question to you Brian is how did you get the stock impeller off the water pump? I don't want to damage the shaft that goes into the housing.

Thanks!!
They come of real easy mate, just put a flat spanner or something like that through the notch in the shaft, then grip the impellar with a multi-grip pliers and undo it.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They come of real easy mate, just put a flat spanner or something like that through the notch in the shaft, then grip the impellar with a multi-grip pliers and undo it.
That's right Donsy...the impellar will have some 'loctite' (thread lock) on it so will be a bit tight to start with but should come off easily enough. I usually just put a flat spanner on its edge in the vise...put the 'slot' of the impeller shaft over the flat metal or spanner and with a good thick leather glove or as you say multi- grip pliers, undo the impeller. No problem...or as we say over here 'wee buns'!!.:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
HI,

I just ordered that one to be shipped to Finland. Hope you Design corse uk have that one on stock. I have had so many heating issues and hope this will help me running my bike.

Can't wait to see the racing pump to arrive.

Cheers,
M

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anybody have an update on this replacement pump?

I took my MV for a ride today and could tell it needed a pump upgrade and fan install. (97*F, ambient temps)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Welcome mate

Anybody have an update on this replacement pump?

I took my MV for a ride today and could tell it needed a pump upgrade and fan install. (97*F, ambient temps)
What do you need to know ? There is quite a few thread's on the cooling issue's, which Senna/MV do you have ?

As far as the waterpump in question, there's a few things that influence/improve cooling on these bike, mostly the 1000+ bikes, and that pump is one of them. It does not always solve the problem on all bikes because of various other factors (bad fueling, bad coolant, air pocket's in system etc) but it does for many guys and is definitely a big help towards helping control the problem.

The MV overheats in warm climate's because of a few factors, bad fueling being a major contributor, then the fans coming in a bit late because of the default settings in the ECU or EPROM. The other factor is of coarse the very closed in nature of the fairings, trapping hot air which the normal plastic fan's struggle to get rid of.

How to fix it all ? Again, there is a few options. One of the best would be to install the upgraded waterpump as discussed by Brian and sold by Design Corse, the next would be a set of Ally Muzzy fans, and the next would be to install the manual fan over-ride switch, you can than turn the fan's on a bit earlier in the heat cycle.

If you don't mind spending some extra $$ for some extra options, you can get the fueling sorted by installing a Microtec ECU from X-bikes. All these parts are available right here on the forum from site sponsors.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts